Need some help with Yahoo Email

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Minnow, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Minnow

Minnow

Dad retired a few years ago and has lots of free time on his hands these days. Recently he has been commenting on emails that he receives through his yahoo mail account. You know the types that originate out of Africa saying they want your bank account numbers and others relating to "dating" crap. Anyway apparently this junk is getting into his inbox or maybe he is even sorting through his own junk mail looking for the "deal of the century", but is there anything I can do to prevent this stuff from even making it to his email. I'm pretty sure that his filters are on at normal settings. I'm about tempted to simply dump this free account and go with something else? :dunno:

2. viniglock

viniglock

Yahoo has a tutorial but if you want more protection, he will need to upgrade to Yahoo plus and or delete current account, create new one and only give to trusted individual or places.

3. geminicricket

geminicricket NRA Life member

I have more than enough money coming to me from bankers, politicians, and industrialists of various western Africa countries that I can pay off the U.S. national debt. It's just a darn shame that I can't thank them, because they are all dead.

In other news, I know who my truly wealthy relatives are, and I know them well enough to know that they never have and never will toss a little my way. West African despots, industrialists, and bankers are humans and behave no differently.

One dumb thing my father-in-law did with the insurance money following the death of his wife was to give some of it to a woman from a western African country. He was so simple-minded that he actually believed the lies she was telling him.

4. redbaron007

redbaron007 Some Dude Lifetime Member

He should set up another email account, use it for friends and friends only, but use this Yahoo account for purchases and other assorted deals on the internet.

5. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

I find the whole Yahoo site has gone to pot. You have to lower your cookie setting for email, which sets you up for annoying low level threats. I recommend Gmail, which doesn't have as much junk.

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Agree.. Or... Keep his Yahoo account for any correspondence in which he thinks his address might get sold or otherwise be compromised. Then open a GMail account, and use it for personal correspondence. I've found Gmail to generally have a very good spam filter.

IGF

7. Minnow

Minnow

Thanks everybody. I try to explain that there are some bad people doing bad things out there on the internet. I think I'm going to take advice from this thread and open him a Gmail account and have him only use that for his business/friends. I find that the spam filtering with the free version of Yahoo blows. It lets lots though although I'm not sure who exactly he has provided the address to personally.