close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some help with my cats...please!!!!

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by glock22357, Mar 14, 2006.

1. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

...I've got two felines (Fax and Fred) and one of the two is having an R. Kelly problem.....that's right, one of 'ems a pisser.

Their litter box is in an un-used bedroom of the house, with linoleum floors. I keep the box pretty clean, using scooping litter scooping it out 2-3 times a week and changing it usually once a week. When I change the litter, I clean the pan with lysol, wiping it out very well.

One of the two is having a problem using the litter box when urinating, either hitting the edge and getting it on the floor, or just using the floor. The litter box has high sides, so I'm getting confused as to what the problem could be.

Today, I cleaned the litter box, and about a half an hour later, there was piss on the floor...it looked as if there was some on the inside of the the baox, but most was on the floor....

First, any good ideas on how to figure out which cat it is other than DNA testing??? I have thought about seperating them in two parts of the house with seperate litter and food (and I don't have a video camera,) to find out. Any other easier ideas?

And once I do figure out which one it is, what do I do? How do I break them of the habbit, and get them to use the box again? Please help, I love them and don't want to have this problem any more, and nor do I want to get rid of one.

2. Glock Bob

Glock Bob Snack Attack!!!

To figure out which one is the culprit just close one of them in the room with the litter for a couple of hours. Check the floor. If all is well, do the same with the other cat. One of them should have to go TT within their respective two-hours time.

I have no idea of how to break the habit.

3. walkin man

walkin man

This behavior is sometimes caused by discomfort and relating the litter box to the pain. There may be a urinary tract infection that is causing the pain. If you are able to discover which one is using the floor you might want to check with the vet before attempting to change the bad behavior. Also, depending on age there may be a physical reason for this. One of our cats started doing this as she got older due to arthritis making it difficult to squat. She was 22 when this started to manifest itself. Other than this she was healthy and stayed out most of the time, so it was only a problem when the weather was so bad she had to stay in.

We just made the best of a bad situation and kept towels around the box to catch the overspray.

I hope you are able to correct the problem and continue to enjoy your cats companionship.

walkin man

4. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

One of your kitties is STANDING to pee my friend!!! Yup!!!

Max, my older siamese stands to pee (I have watched him do it!!), and I have a lid on the box....so pee gets inbetween the lid and the box....so each day when you scoop the litter you have to take a wet paper towel to wipe it up.........

One thing I have been toying with is a top entry box.......one with sides as tall as they are.....they have to jump up on the lid to get into it.......

I know I have seen ads in Cat Fancy Magazine for these top entry boxes, and they are 30-40 bucks!! I said "screw that!!" and I went to Walmart and bought a plastic container (like what you store Christmas decorations in with a lid---10 bucks or less) and I plan to cut the lid with a round hole....Max, my stand-up-to-pee boy can stand all he wants......!! ;f

I plan to introduce mine WITHOUT the lid at first, then add the lid........do you think this may help with your problem???

Here is an example of what I am talking about.....Petsmart wants 34 bucks for this one!!! Just buy a plasic equiv. at Walmart!!

http://www.petsmart.com/global/prod...668815&itemNo=24&Nao=24&In=ALL&N=2033739&Ne=2 <------click

5. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

....I do believe that one (probably Fax) is standing to pee, and partially missing. When the youger one (Fred) came to stay, he was carrying some bug that got Fax sick all the time, and keeping the litte box clean has been the main way of keeping Fax healthy. SO what I believe is happening is that Fax is standing to avoid getting sick, as it were.....

So I have decided to re-double my efforts at keeping the box clean, and it seems to be working. No R. Kelly problems since I started this thread....

Thanks again all!!!

Craig

6. Tampico

Tampico G37/G38

I've seen a lot of weird toilet behavior from cats. I've always lived with more than one.

You need two litter boxes. Even the best of cat 'friends' don't like to use each other's box.

Your cat's problem may be medical, or positional, but I'd try two boxes. Consult your Vet in any case.

And keep those boxes clean.

Good luck.

7. glock22357

glock22357 Got Ammo???

....I've been keeping the box cleaner an it has indeed solved the problem..

THanks again!