close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some help on Gen 2

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ArkansasBoy, Mar 9, 2012.

1. ArkansasBoy

ArkansasBoy

Hey guys,
    I have a G23 Gen2 that I got in a trade a couple months ago, so naturally Im not sure of how many rounds have been through it. The previous owner installed a stainless steel guide rod in it and thats the only non-stock part in it. The week I got it I put 200 rounds of WWB down range and 50 rounds of hydra shocks. And then It sat in the safe for about 3 months (after I cleaned it of course). I took it to the range today and got about 35 rounds through it and then suddenly the slide locked back after every round:steamed: so my first thought was the magazine, I changed mags, even used my buddies g23 mags. same problem. I stripped it down on the bench and noticed the slide lock was really lose, so lose I thought it was going to fall off.

sorry about the long story but what happened?
    Im thinking I just made an excuse to buy new parts haha

2. Butch

Butch RetiredDinosaur Millennium Member CLM

Welcome!

Are you talking about the slide stop?
    [​IMG]

3. Butch

Check to see if the slide stop spring can be seen *below* the locking block pin like this:
    [​IMG]

If not, it's installed incorrectly and would cause the slide to stay back every time you shoot it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  4. smokintonye

smokintonye Instructor

Nice visual Butch! Thumbs up!

5. ArkansasBoy

ArkansasBoy

thank you Butch for the correction. I wasnt trying to sound uneducated for naming the wrong part :supergrin:. Yes I meant the SLIDE STOP haha Atleast I didnt say CLIPS instead of Magazine huh??:rofl:

Anyways I do not see the spring below the locking block pin

6. ArkansasBoy

ArkansasBoy

heres a quick picture i just snapped with my phone, (yes its still dirty) I can really see anything odd. But maybee you guys will??
    [​IMG]

7. DannyII

DannyII

[​IMG]

Can you take a pic from this angle?

It looks like your slide lock lever is up all the time, so it's either not below the upper pin, or the spring is broken.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
  8. Butch

Yup, the lever should be held down against the frame by the spring. (see attached pic - I rotated and cropped yours)

When you cleaned the gun after shooting it the first time, did you detail strip the frame?

Attached Files:

9. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Yup, you should feel downward pressure from the spring on the slide stop.

I've found the easiest way to get it in there correctly is to insert the trigger pin in from the right side about halfway, or maybe to the first groove, then put in the slide stop and move it around a bit to get the holes aligned, then push the pin in the remainder of the way.

10. Beanie-Bean

Beanie-Bean

Butch,

Those pics are great, especially the slide stop and slide lock next to the parts list from the exploded diagram.

11. bentbiker

bentbiker

Did you by any chance do a detailed strip when you cleaned it? At some point, somebody put the pins back in in the wrong order. The top pin, the locking block pin should be the first out and the first back in. That way the spring ends up in the right position, under the locking block pin.

12. 2ndAmVA

2ndAmVA

Great info, thanks. I had a Gen 2 Glock 22, and I had to replace the plastic guide rod because it broke. I replaced it with a metal rod...stainless, I think. Now, I have a Gen 2 Glock 17. I like the lack of rail in the 2nd Gen Glocks. I never use the rails.

13. bentbiker

bentbiker

Did you by any chance have two threads open and mean to post this to http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1407336 ?

14. voyager4520

voyager4520 -----

You'll need to remove the locking block pin, trigger pin, and slide stop. Then install the locking block pin first, then insert the slide stop into the frame, then install the trigger pin.

You'll need a 3/32 inch punch like the Glock Armorer's Tool.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oV0wDDFV0NY"]Glock Detail Strip And Reassembly (IN HD) - YouTube[/ame]

On the following page are some Glock Armorer's Manuals, just scroll down to the "G" section. I learned from the Update Manual and 2009 Manual. The 2009 Manual has a few pages missing, but that info can be found in the Update Manual as well.
    http://stevespages.com/page7b.htm

Last edited: Mar 10, 2012
  15. ArkansasBoy

ArkansasBoy

Well guys you were right. I appreciate all the help.