Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya fellas,

My department issues us the Cairns 660 metro and while it gets the job done, it sucks. I'm looking to buy either a Cairns 1010 or a Paul Conway American Classic. I like the look of the traditional and I've also heard that they offer more protective benefits as well. I was hoping you guys good shoot me some reviews on these 2 helmets, particularly the Paul Conway. I know a good bit about Cairns but not much about Conway. Any help would be much appreciated!!

·
Oh no, they're after me nuts!
25 Posts
The 660 is a good helmet and will get the job done nicely, which is to protect your mellon.

As far as BUYING your own, if it's for a novelty item that you're going to decorate your home with (Lots of FFs do), that is fine. But for use at work, it's a smarter idea to wear what your department issues you. Also, bare in mind, your department may NOT allow you to wear your privately bought helmet. My department, for example, does NOT allow us to wear private safety equipment, we wear what's issued, no if's, butts or other complaints. If you're STILL interested in wearing your own private purchase helmet, I'd run it by your Captain well before shelling out the funds for such an item. Personally, I'd be spending the money on AMMO for range trips on the off days.

·
FarBeyondDriven
73 Posts
The previous poster would assume that the helmet you're issued has never been issued to anyone else, has never been dropped, has never been thrown across a parking lot, has never had debris fall on it, etc. I bought two of my own helmets precisely so I would know for sure that they were structurally sound and that they would protect my melon when it needed it. My head was worth $200 and that's about what I paid for a 1010.

Not all departments in the country are large city paid departments who issue the FF's brand new gear at the beginning of recruit school.

·
Oh no, they're after me nuts!
25 Posts
Originally posted by pevrs114
The previous poster would assume that the helmet you're issued has never been issued to anyone else, has never been dropped, has never been thrown across a parking lot, has never had debris fall on it, etc. I bought two of my own helmets precisely so I would know for sure that they were structurally sound and that they would protect my melon when it needed it. My head was worth $200 and that's about what I paid for a 1010.

Not all departments in the country are large city paid departments who issue the FF's brand new gear at the beginning of recruit school.
Oh brother :upeyes:

Get a grip, you bought a brand new helmet so you could sport an unscratched, pretty, polished spiffy bells and whistles brainbucket! Admit it, you bought a "fireman's toy". (No shame in it, but you can't BS me) And yes, at my department, we simply pass on our used helmets to the new guys. If you're worried about them being structurally sound, that's easy, you LOOK at them, if you see a crack, then hey, you've found one that can be tossed away and not reissued.

A used bucket will protct your melon just fine providing it's not cracked. What falls on your head that wouldn't kill you outright will still be as unimpressed with bright new and shiney as it would with scratched, smokey and used.

But hey, you buy that NEW helmet, if your department won't let ya use it, stick it on your fireplace mantle, it will look great and as I previously mentioned, firemen love toys.

ETA: Pssssst.. If I could get away with getting my own brand spankin' new shiney bucket and wear it at the FD, well ;) I like new stuff too. (there's a story there that I might fess up to one of these days)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm issued a Cairns 660 metro and they are dang good helmets.

However, I do have a Cairns 1010 hanging on the wall:supergrin: :supergrin: :supergrin:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Cairns 880...the only way to travel !!!

The 880 is lower profile than the 1010, it just seems to sit and balance better. It'll stay on your melon even without the chinstrap (dunno anyone who wears a strap anyway) and stays put even with facepiece on too. Just make sure you get the ratcheting model.

If they ever take our 880's away...grown men will be seen crying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are looking at the Cairns 1010, look at the Morning Pride Ben 2 helmet too.

The through-color molding will look alot better than a well-used 1010 over time, and the ride height of the helmet tends to be lower than the 1010. As well, the adjustability of the Ben 2 tends to be a bit easier, and the interior of the helmet is easier to keep clean. As well, the rear brim of the Ben 2 is a bit shorter than the 1010, which makes life MUCH easier when pulling ceilings or searching on hands and knees (it doesn't bang the air bottle so much).

It doesn't hurt that the Ben 2 tends to be a bit cheaper, as well.

Finally, while the aftermarket is rife with eye protection options, the Ben 2 seems to be best suited to accommodate the widest range....it even has templates for the old-school Bourkes molded into the brim.

I've worn the 660, 1010, N5A and Ben 2 helmets, and far and away the Ben 2 has been the best/most comfortable. If I had too buy my own to stake my life on, the Ben 2 would be it.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Morning Pride's Ben 2 is the only non-leather traditional I'll wear. I've got one on the rack with my spare gear and wear it when I'm cleaning my primary stuff, or during live fire training.

If you want to go all out, look at the Cairns N5 New Yorker deluxe, and/or N6 Sam Houston deluxe models. I've got a department issued N5a deluxe and love it.

Another option is the Phenix Traditional Leather. The Phenix is a nice lid, and I would'nt mind wearing one.

FYI,

There's a big helmet sale over at www.TheFireStore.com .

·
Registered
15 Posts
Originally posted by KY Moose
Morning Pride's Ben 2 is the only non-leather traditional I'll wear. I've got one on the rack with my spare gear and wear it when I'm cleaning my primary stuff, or during live fire training.

My original helmet was a Morning Pride Ben Franklin. It was/is the worst fire helmet I have ever used !!! Way too big, totally unbalanced, hard to adjust, too heavy...the list goes on. It was so high profile that it looked like an upturned Weber grill (common nickname for these pieces of crap).

I had to search high and low to switch it out for a new Carins 880, which were out of production at that time.

I don't know if this Ben Franklin is the same helmet being discussed in the thread. If it is...stay away from it, it's so uncomfortable you'll dread wearing it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Originally posted by KY Moose
Morning Pride's Ben 2 is the only non-leather traditional I'll wear.

I wear the same helmet the only complaint i have is the lining inside the helmet is a little bulky other than that its a great helmet

I had a Paul Conway and other than the shields that where horrible it was a comfortable helmet, pretty decent helmet, I also had a 1010 and liked it.......

But i do love my Ben 2 a little weird to wear at first but after that it has been super and love it..........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts