close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some guidance for a website design/hosting location

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by fireguy129, Oct 10, 2006.

1. fireguy129

fireguy129

Hey Guru's, looking for some guidance. My fire department webpage was hosted somewhere, I honestly don't know where. The customer service there stunk, emails never got answered, etc. Bills aren't even being sent, so our site is down. Any suggestions for a low cost host? We were spending $100 a year, but we're willing to pay more for decent service.
    Second, how do I go about building a website? I know thats a very broad question, any good sites to check out?
    Thanks!!

2. grindchug

grindchug Motörhead

I can host it, shoot me a PM.. Will cost you a whole lot less than 100$ too.. I use Adobe GoLive to make my websites

3. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

If anyone has a broadband connection and a PC that stays on all the time and running a later operating system then you should be able to host it yourself. If you or a member of the FD is reasonably comfortable with basic computer networking and can use a word processor program like Microsoft Word then you can at least have a basic website self-hosted for nothing...

Shoot me a PM if you're interested, I can get you started down that road.

4. grokdesigns

grokdesigns

You need to be aware that the preceding is against most residential broadband connection terms of service and could result in your account being disabled.

5. grindchug

grindchug Motörhead

let me know if you need webhosting, if you have a domain or pay for one I will host it for free.. just let me know and I will set you up with a FTP login.

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Unless you have some expertise running such an operation, you are biting off much more that you're bargaining for. Hosting can be so cheap these days, doing it on your own link (sidestepping the contractual issues that grokdesigns mentioned for a moment) just doesn't compute in my book.

Take a look at places like godaddy.com, where you can host for less than $50 a year. If you really want to roll your own, tie up your link, assure redundancy, invest in a dedicated machine, so you can save $50 a year by hosting it yourself, I would love to see the calculation that shows it makes sense.

7. bambihunter

bambihunter 10mm collector

It takes a whole 5 minutes to install IIS and open the ports in the router or firewall and set up a dynamic DNS (for those without static IP's).

I'll agree, years ago it was a real pain (not to mention a security risk) but now with IIS integrated into 2000 and XP, and with the availability of the free dynamic IP relaying, just about anyone with a reasonable comfort level of computers can do it.

I also will agree that many companies now have free webhosting but the real limitation there is the amount of storage space (generally 10mb). Even if you have to pay for hosting, you're right, it isn't very expensive any more...

"Take a look at places like godaddy.com, where you can host for less than $50 a year. If you really want to roll your own, tie up your link, assure redundancy, invest in a dedicated machine, so you can save $50 a year by hosting it yourself, I would love to see the calculation that shows it makes sense."

I use older machines (too slow to game with, too fast to throw away), use a free dynamic DNS to give it a friendly name (so I don't have to pay to register my own domain). For most personal websites the world is not going to end if the site is down occasionally. Probably for the fire department mentioned above it isn't critical either. When I finally pulled my old server (a 500mhz machine running 2000 Server) it had been running for just a tad over 600 days without a restart. Not bad for out of date junk... :supergrin: