Home > Practical Tactics > Carry Issues > Need some clarification on FL CCW requirements

Need some clarification on FL CCW requirements

1. This is for someone I work with. He wants to get a CCW, but has a drug conviction against him. Believes it was a misdemeanor and about 5yrs ago. I was looking at the eligibility list, but it reads a little open. Any thoughts?

not sure if it matters, but this happened out of state

2. He should know if it was a misdemeanor. It's an important distinction.

Regardless, advice or legal interpretations from an online forum may not be the best route. I'll assume you poured through the laws here:
    http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&URL=0700-0799/0790/0790ContentsIndex.html&StatuteYear=2010&Title=%2D%3E2010%2D%3EChapter%20790

3. Misdemeanor convictions shouldn't prohibit a CWP, unless hes currently in any kind of rehab or labeled a drug addict somehow. There are very few misdemeanors down here that cancel out your ability to get a permit - domestic violence is it, pretty much.

4. Heres the appropriate part of Fl's statute:

(e)Has not been committed for the abuse of a controlled substance or been found guilty of a crime under the provisions of chapter 893 or similar laws of any other state relating to controlled substances within a 3-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;
    (f)Does not chronically and habitually use alcoholic beverages or other substances to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired. It shall be presumed that an applicant chronically and habitually uses alcoholic beverages or other substances to the extent that his or her normal faculties are impaired if the applicant has been committed under chapter 397 or under the provisions of former chapter 396 or has been convicted under s. 790.151 or has been deemed a habitual offender under s. 856.011(3), or has had two or more convictions under s. 316.193 or similar laws of any other state, within the 3-year period immediately preceding the date on which the application is submitted;

5. rjflyn
    Came across that. I figured that he would be fine.
    SARDG
    Not looking for advice, just others interpretations, but thanks for yours