close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need some automotive help

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FCastle88, Feb 19, 2010.

1. FCastle88

FCastle88

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee with about 120K on it, it's a POS that's always making weird noises and having problems, so far most of the problems have just gone away by themselves after a few days/weeks. I don't know much about cars but I need to keep it running for another 6 months or so until hopefully I can get something decent. Lately the steering has felt kind of strange, sometimes it feels slightly loose, sometimes it feels stiff, and there seems to be a little bit of play when I turn the wheel left. During the summer it started making a whining/shrieking noise when first started, I think it was coming from either the serpentine belt or one of the pulleys, but I could never get it to happen when I had the hood up and after about a month it just went away.
    Now the other day I started hearing a noise like rubber being stretched or scraped when I turn the wheel with the jeep stopped, as well as a metallic creaking noise. I've been having problems with the sway bar getting stuck and the shocks need replaced, so I think that's where the creaking is coming from, but the rubber sound seems to be coming from the serpentine belt or possibly somewhere inside the steering system. Now today it started making a loud clicking/shifting noise when idling and then the belt and fan get really loud for a minute, then it clicks again and slows down, it's never done this before. Does it sound like the serpentine belt is loose or worn, or something more serious?

2. Gareth68

Gareth68

First, check your power steering fluid and report back on level, color, and smell.

3. FCastle88

FCastle88

The fluid level is fine, I've had the jeep for a little over a year and the power steering fluid has barely gone down at all, it's a brownish orange color and the best way to describe the smell is motor oil with a slightly burnt smell to it. The noise when the wheel is turned seems to be coming from the pump/belt area. It seems to be steering okay, but the rubber noise is getting pretty bad and the weird clicking has me worried.

4. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Also check all of the pulleys (i.e. idler, tensioner) if the bearing takes a dump it will cause all of the accessories to drag.

On the Grand Cherokee I own with 192,000 +/- miles. I have put at least four water pumps. First two was warranty work, last two I put on. Come to find out the idler pulley was a fraction of an inch out of alignment causing the waterpump wear out quicker.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  5. FCastle88

FCastle88

How can you tell if a bearing is bad?

6. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

the only way to tell is to take the belt off and spin them all by hand. A good one will spin smooth with no noise.

Kinda sounds like your tensioner assembly might be bad, can anyone confirm?

7. KusoJijii

KusoJijii alegacy of fear

The steering feeling loose could be a bad pitman arm or track bar. Jeep is known for having bad trackbars (well Chrysler really) in the trucks. As far as the noise you hear, sometimes a dry tie rod or ball joint will squeak when turned so the best way to rule that out is to get it to the point where it will make the noise while sitting in park turning, then shut the vehicle off and turn the wheel again. If it still makes noise it's in the linkage in the front end.

8. NorthCarolinaLiberty

NorthCarolinaLiberty MentalDefective

The symptoms you describe sound like a water pump. It sounds like when my water pump went bad.

Does the pitch sound change when you speed up and slow down? Does it happen when the temperature changes a lot either way (hot to cold or cold to hot)?

9. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

your fluid is not suppose to smell burned nor look like motor oil,

should be opaque

10. Gareth68

Gareth68

Yep. It got hot and burned. The question is why. The fluid needs to be changed. and flushed. It has broken down and is no longer performing it's duties.

The pump is likely on it's way out. The squealing is the belt slipping trying to turn the overworked pump.

Changing the fluid might buy you some time.

Like most things, once it is burnt some damage is already done.

50k miles is a good interval to change and flush the fluid to ensure a long life by removing contaminants that are carried by the fluid.

Most people, however, never service the system until some part of it has failed. Either the seals in the rack or the bearings in the pump.

11. FCastle88

FCastle88

I guess I'll try flushing the fluid, I just drove it a little bit and it drove and steered okay, but it sounds like hell when sitting at a stop light, there were rattling noises coming from under the engine and the air vents were vibrating a little bit. When I have it in park it makes a slight whining noise when the wheel is turned the whole way to either side, I tried moving the wheel with the engine off and I didn't hear anything.

12. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Does this have A/C?
    Does it make this noise in DEFROST and in VENT?

13. doc540

doc540

I'm a master mechanic on the internets.

My advice:

Do NOT drive that POS with unknown front end problems.

You WILL think about this post as you're crossing the median sawing the wheel like a maniac and screaming like a little girl.

14. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

It may be a water pump, is there a fan assembly attached to the water pump by chance? If so WHEN THE ENGINES OFF, try to pull the blade back and forth while standing in front of the jeep. If there feels like there is any movement at all in the shaft, Its probably the water pump.

That whining you hear when you turn the steering wheel is your power steering pump. It may be bad.

Or it may even be your rack and pinion..............

It sounds to me like you dont know a whole lot about vehicles.

Heres my thoughts. When whatever is making the noise goes........ITS GONNA GO.

More than likely when your not expecting it and theres a good chance it will cause more damage to your vehicle when it finally does go bad.

Just take it to a mechanic because they will be able to properly diagnose it and properly fix it.

15. Glocker08

Glocker08

Power steering pump issue maybe ? I'm no mechanic, but when you mentioned you were having problems with the steering,that's the first thing I thought of. Also,is it a 4x4 ?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  16. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Any time you have a vehicle with over 100K miles you can expect to start replacing parts sooner or later.

I have 114K on my Dodge Dakota and just replaced the water pump last week.

17. Ahmid

Ahmid CLM

Don't know if they still have what my dealer called an idler arm. It gave me steering and front end problems forever. That POS vehicle nickel and dimed me to death. Smartest thing I ever did was get rid of it. I took a loss but slept better at night. Oh and I could not afford the loss at the time but mental health was more important.

18. FCastle88

FCastle88

When I open the hood and have somebody turn the wheel the sound definitely seems to be coming from either the belt or one of the pumps, my uncle is a retired mechanic and he took a look at it when it was making the whining noise last summer and he thought it was probably either the belt or a bearing, then it went away. Yeah it's a 4x4, that acts up sometimes as well, we've gotten a lot of snow the last couple weeks and I've been having trouble getting it to engage and disengage, also when using four-wheel drive turning is pretty difficult, sometimes I have to fight the wheel the whole way through the turn. I forgot to mention, in both four-wheel and rear wheel drive about half the time the wheel doesn't return to center. Like I said, I don't know much about this stuff, but it needs inspected next month and I'm trying to fix as much as I can myself because what the mechanics around here charge is ridiculous. I was under the jeep lubing the sway bar and I think the muffler or tailpipe is a little loose and that's where some of the noise and vibrations are coming from.