Need some advice concerning new job

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by u4ea, Feb 24, 2010.

1. u4ea

u4ea

I am nearly 28 years old. I have been working since I was 14, and I enjoy working. I was laid off for the first time in my life in April of 2009. I didn't end up finding a new job until November of 2009. I have an interview in 2 weeks for a position that starts at 60k a year. Not going to get rich at that job, but it's a decent living in this day and age. In the time I was not employed from April to November I was helping my dad out 6-8 hours a day (he's a Realtor) as well as spending more time with my daughter and taking care of my sick grandmother. Is this going to look really ****ty when I go in to interview? My friend has been with the company for 5 years and he was my "in" with them, so I have a slight advantage over other candidates. I am worried that my employment gap will make me look like a slacker or something. In 2008 I ended up working 343 days, and I averaged 62.5 hours per week. I went stretches of 5 weeks without a single day off, so I am far from lazy or a bum. I am just wondering what I should say, or if telling them what I said above will suffice. I am not one to lie or make things up, but this job is a 6 figure a year job once a person has put in 5-10 years, so I'd like to get it. Thoughts?

2. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

This job isn't by chance as the host of a show on MSNBC revolving around the partnership of civilian groups and law enforcement task forces, is it?

3. u4ea

u4ea

Negative. I would hope a tv host makes more than 60k a year lol. :wow:

4. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

A few months of an employment gap in an era where the country is experiencing over 10 percent unemployment? I'd say they'll understand.

Be honest, the company you were working for made cuts, you got caught under the wire. These things happen to the best workers even in a good economy.

Don't sweat it.

5. ironman23

ironman23 Member

honesty is usually best. just try to spin the honesty in the best way possible.

6. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

Well, your avatar had me wondering....

On a serious note, I believe that it will come down to the individual perceptions of each human resources person. Either way it will be something that can be a talking point during the interview. Your explanation seems to me to be more than reasonable, especially in today's economic situation.

7. u4ea

u4ea

I was told that 7 months of unemployment will make me look lazy, and that it would have been better for me to take a minimum wage job as soon as possible and kept working. We'll see I guess.

8. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

I would whole-heartedly disagree with that assesment. Taking a minimum wage job would just have the added bonus of not allowing you to collect unemployment while you were making a pittance compared to your original wage.

Whomever told you that has got some very strange ideas about the professional world.

ETA: In Texas, if you're collecting the maximum unemployment insurance (~400 a week) you'd need a job paying a little over 12 dollars an hour to bring that amount home. Essentially, if you took a job making less it would COST you money to go to work. Which is a bit silly when you think about it since you earned your unemployment insurance through the hours you've been working all of your adult life.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  9. u4ea

u4ea

I was told that by a hiring manager at a local company lol.

10. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

Which just goes to show that you don't have to be smart to be a manager.

11. Cinic

Cinic Spongy Member

Would you really put a minimum wage job on your resume?

And if you're that worried about it, you could leave out the months on your resume and use years only for employment dates.

Personally, I don't think being unemployed right now makes you look lazy.

12. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

You used the time for: job hunting, helping in the family business, personal enrichment, family care and support, self study etc... ;)

13. Isaiah1412

Isaiah1412

Being unemployed doesn't make you look lazy. Being unemployed and not doing something relevant to your career DOES. It doesn't matter how bad the economy is, the company hiring you only cares about what you are going to do for them if they offer the job to you.

If it comes down to you or someone who spent 7 months getting training and developing skills relevant and useful to the position they're trying to fill, which one looks like stronger, more dedicated worker in the long term?

14. u4ea

u4ea

I am completely switching job fields, so that doesn't apply to me really.

15. HKUSP45Css

HKUSP45Css

One last parting shot, any unskilled labor job that you could have used as filler for the time you spent not working wouldn't be likely to hire an applicant with good skills in a wholly separate industry unless they were in dire need of warm bodies for the short term.

What company in their right minds is going to take the time to train someone who is going to leave them the instant an opportunity in that person's field (or pay grade) became available?

I think you're over thinking it.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  16. u4ea

u4ea

It wouldn't be the first time. :whistling:

17. Kith

Kith

I change employers pretty frequently, and have worked for several staffing agencies.

I've never been fired, but I do have some serious gaps in my employment.

If you are qualified for the position you seek, and have good references you can give from your last place of employment, a good explanation for your employment gap is all you need.

Can you answer yes to the question: "would your previous employer hire you again if they were able to do so?" If so, that's 80% of the win right there.

It seems like you have a good explanation for what you did in between your last job and the one (I hope for you) you are getting.

Good luck, and be confident in your interview.

18. u4ea

u4ea

I've never interviewed and not gotten the job, but this interview will involve around 100 people for 5-10 spots. I have first dibs due to being an employee referral so I just need to hit a home run haha.

19. Glock Enthusiast

Glock Enthusiast Banned

Those seem like good odds to me. My current job had 33 people interviewed for 1 position. I thought my chances were slim to none, but I got the job.

20. flyerI

flyerI

That is exactly what I would put on the resume for that time period. I have hired hundreds of people over the years and I would rather see that that than some of the junk people put on resumes.

Times are tough and you did not lay on the couch. Did your Father pay you or help out with family expenses in some way? You were really working for him. Put that down. Lazy? You? I think not.

I talked to an aquaintance several years ago who was unemployed. He called me because he needed to get his "potential job data base" up to date. He not once asked if I had any positions available. I hired 3 pilots that week. Go figure.

Be honest. If you want the job, tell them that. Tell them you won't let them down if they will give you the opportunity. I've hired many because of that promise.