close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need shotgun advice

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by nezlab99, Jan 6, 2003.

1. nezlab99

nezlab99 Goldmember

I look to you glocktalkers.

Please suggest one or some. I don't know much about different shotguns; I've always used my dad's Kmart special. I'm looking to buy a good semiauto shotgun. I'll use it for dove, quail, pheasant, and turkey. I saw the other thread, but I don't have that kind of money to spend. I want to spend around or under $300 for something used.

I want it to be light, semiauto, dependable, and easy to clean.

2. tjpet

tjpet

You can find used Remington 1100's for under $300 sometimes. A brand new Charles Daly auto sells here for $299. Not the biggest name or fanciest shotgun but all the ones I've seen and shot are plenty good for hunting. Lots of folks I know buy them for their kids, like what they see, then end up getting one themselves.

3. Craigster

Craigster

I see alot of Berrettas at the trap club and I understand they are not big $'s and very dependable.

Otherwise DITTO Tjpet.

Craig

4. TJC

TJC "No Compromise" Millennium Member

Look for the used 1100 for the best gun for the money you want to spend. ;)

5. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

Buy a used Beretta 390... it's just plain better!

6. nezlab99

nezlab99 Goldmember

thanks for the advice so far guys.

To everyone else: come on, help a "guy" out

(edited to appeal to WalterGA)

7. WalterGA

WalterGA Millennium Member

I'm not too keep on putting shotguns in the hands of "brotha's". :)

8. nezlab99

nezlab99 Goldmember

I changed the word from "brotha" to "guy" so that it may sit more "keenly" with you. I'm not sure why you felt like sharing that or what you inferred from the use of the term "brotha." Maybe a racial assumption? I may be mistaken, but it sounds to me like you may have some racial insecurities that probably don't need to be shared with me. I'm asking for advice on the purchase of a shotgun, nothing else.

9. whiskey

whiskey Millennium Member

You can get a nice pump, new for under 300 bucks. I just ain't big on semi-auto shotguns that are cheap.

10. nezlab99

nezlab99 Goldmember

I wanted to get a semiauto to get shots off faster. I won't lie, about half the time, I don't get birds with my first shot, especially quail. I'm not especially fast with a shotgun, so don't usually get more than one bird out of a group.

Are the cheaper autos especially prone to malfunctions or something? I'm not familiar with any except for my friends Benelli Super Black Eagle, which is in a whole different price range.

11. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I sometimes go 1,000 rounds before cleaning my Beretta 390... no problem.

12. Hucklebarry

Hucklebarry Native

nezlab99,

Please notice the smily at the end of WalterGA's post. This is used to indicate a joke. You know, tongue-in-cheek.

Don't be so sensitive.

13. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Whichever gun you do decide to look for make sure it is a 2 3/4" gun. Most of the 3" guns have trouble handling the lighter loads you'll want to use for dove and quail. And unless you get into waterfowl heavily there is no need to use a 3" shell.

From the workbench I prefer the 1100, but there are some good older guns still available cheap. You might consia Browning Double Auto, the older Remington 11-48, Winchesters model 50, the 300-301-302 series Berettas, and the Flight King and High Standard autos.

Most of these will not have choke tubes. Those can be added for less than $100, and parts are available. But remember these are older guns, and the wood and barrels are going to be expensive if you need to replace them.

All that being said the best advice is to find a gun that fits you.

14. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

If your newer 3" Browning, Beretta, Remington, Winchester, etc... has trouble shooting lighter target loads, then your shotgun needs to go back to the factory because it ain't workin right!

Those problems are a thing of the past with the modern gas system... true some gas systems are better then others, (take the Beretta for instance... ;)) but all should be fine with a relatively clean gun.

My 390 works perfectly (even when REAL dirty) with super light Winchester AA target loads.

Matter of fact, the newer 3-1/2" shotguns should function fine with light target loads, all the ones I've fired have.

15. Bruz

Bruz

When I was looking for a new gun, the great advise I got was to ago to the store and touch them all to see what felt the best. Second advice would be to get a good used one rather than an OK new one. Third bit of advice is that I am a better shot with my 2 shot over under that I am with my 5 shot auto. Good luck bro. ;)

16. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Michigun- Please note that the buyer would like to spend less than $300. Please let all of us interested know where you are finding used Beretta 390's for this price.

In my part of the world $300 does not get you a new model semi auto shotgun. It will however get you one of those I listed for that price. And, since they are older guns, and since some of them were available in 3", it is only fair to note the problems inherent with those models.

17. Owen M. Eaton

Owen M. Eaton

I heard what you said about pumps, but if you are looking for reliability under $300 the only way I know to get it is with a
    used 870 Wingmaster or a new 870 Express.

The 11-87 Remingtons and the Bennellis are good guns, for autoloaders,
    but I've seen both of them cost people birds. Every bird I ever lost
    was my own fault, not my gun's. The autos in your price range are going to be less reliable, more ammo sensative and will lack modern
    standard features like twist chokes and 3" or 3 1/2" chambers. The
    new models (11-87, super black eagle etc.) are out of your price range and while they are BETTER than older autos, they still can't
    match the pump for reliability.

18. Michigun

Michigun Miss Michigan?

I have seen used Beretta 390's for + or - $300... used is what I was talking about.