close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Shoe Recommendation...

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by California Jack, Oct 15, 2006.

1. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I need a shoe for sprinting on asphalt, intervals on treadmill and walking on various surfaces. I have been doing these things in hi-top Chucks, but shin splints are getting too painful. In case weght matters I'm about 215.

Thanks,
    Jack

2. DBradD

DBradD

Chuck Taylor shoes?! Egad, I'm surprised those still exist.

Your needs sound about like mine. Is there a problem with a good pair of distance running shoes? I went to the local running store and the guy picked out a pair of $90+/- brooks running shoes for me. He watched me walk back and forth a couple of times, measured some parts of my feet, etc. I've been wearing them for a few months now and I have to say that they're the best fit I've ever had, so I'm sold on the process. I only wear them for stuff like jumping rope, running, stairmaster, etc. and have never worn them even once except during workouts. He also recommended an excellent pair of socks, but I can't remember the type. They seem to make a difference also. I wish I would've bought a couple more pairs, but they were about $8 each IIRC.

Long story short: If you have no problem with running shoes, then maybe getting a pair semi-custom fit is the way to go. It seems that some brands work better for folks with certain types of feet, so I doubt that it's possible to make a good blanket recommendation.

3. California Jack

Brad,

I guess I am just unsure about wearing running shoes for sprinting. Are they appropriate?

Jack

4. DBradD

DBradD

Not claiming to be an expert trainer, but I was a sprinter in HS track and that's what we wore during most of our workouts. When we did short sprint workouts (say <=200m), most folks would wear spikes or waffle racers (1987 terminology) but that was for speed instead of anatomical correctness. During those workouts, we'd start out of the blocks for many of the runs.

Nowadays, I'd probably wear my running shoes regardless of the distance. I don't know of a problem with wearing running shoes during sprinting workouts and I'll be interested to know if you find an objection.

If you go with a pair of sprinting shoes, be careful not to come down on your heel. Every pair I wore had such a thin heel cushion that a fellow could end up with what we hillbillies call a "stone bruise" if the heel struck the ground as in a normal run. I did this a couple of times and it was fairly painful.

Also, as you probably already know, many tracks have limits on the type of sprinting shoe, such as not allowing spikes, etc. Spikes make a darn loud noise also, so I'd feel funny wearing them anywhere but on a track, LOL.

I'll be interested to find out what conclusions you reach in the end.
    DBD

5. California Jack

Thanks DBD, that is exactly the kind of info I am looking for.

6. California Jack

Running shoes it is. I went to a specialty store that I trust and was rcommended a pair of motion control running shoes.

Thanks Brad,

Jack

7. DBradD

DBradD

No problem. I hope they work out well. I guess that means that no authoritative source refuted the idea, so that makes me feel better about mine also.

8. California Jack

Well no. But I feel I should tell you that you, a co-worker engineer friend that ran hurdles in HS and the guy at the shoe store were my authorities.:banana: :thumbsup: ;)

9. California Jack

WOW! What a difference a pair of shoes make. Just got back from sprints without sore feet, ankle pain of shin splints! Itsa miracle!

10. DBradD

DBradD

11. Halojumper

Halojumper

Yes, but with some caveats. Regular sprinting shoes are for people to use for competitive sprinting. That means that they will be mostly up on the balls of their feet. It also means that most sprinters aren't built as you have described yourself. For the sake of performance optimization, springing shoes have only as much material as absolutely. You'll find that the running shoes you mentioned are much more substantial, as they would need to be to provide the cushioning for that kind of sustained pounding. Now, using them for sprinting should not be a problem, as long as you are doing so in a straight line. Running shoes are not designed for lateral pressure, such as rapid direction changes. If you think you might need to do that, a good set of cross trainers might be in order. Also, some of the regular running shoes has a pattern that might make it difficult for your foot to turn during direction changes. This could lead to problems with your knees.

12. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

Chuck Taylors?!?! I mean they are cool and all, but i think the soles of those are made of asphalt!

you need to buy shoes from a good running store, not just the shoe store in the mall. Those guys dont know anything about actual running that involves any miledge.

I wear new balance 1100's. They make them in a wide version which is good because my feet aren't skinny. They were like 1000$.

****Dont wear your running shoes for just hanging out. you will wear the padding down quicker and they wont last as long. Wear them to run, then take them off.

13. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

and also, once you wear those shoes pretty good, be sure to take the shoe back to the shoe place when you buy your next pair, so they can see how you wear the bottoms when you run. This will help determine if they were the right shoe for you or if you need a different type.

Some people are pronators vs overpronators and so on. If the inside of your foot hits first, if the outside hits first with the most pressure and so on.

14. Halojumper

Halojumper

\

Pronators and overpronators are the same thing. I think maybe you meant pronators and underpronators, which are also known as supinators.

15. DanV1317

DanV1317 GlockMeBeutiful

yeah i knew it was something like that. My dad runs alot and i hear him talking about those things when he tries to explain shoes to me.

16. Halojumper

Halojumper

Yeah, I used to run a lot, but now that I have peanut foot (Planter's fasciatis), that's no longer an option.

17. Jack Walcott

Jack Walcott

In case any of you wondered why Cal Jack was wearing Chuck Taylors, I'd guess that he wears them for powerlifting. Chucks are highly regarded amongst powerlifters as they don't "give" like running shoes or crosstrainers during deadlifts and squats. I lift in wrestling shoes and have to take running shoes to the gym if I feel like doing any treadmill stuff. HTH, jack walcott

18. California Jack

Pretty close Jack! I actually weightlift(Oly Lifts), but since I do the split styles of the lifts, I don't need heeled shoes. Therefore I where Chucks for the same reason you and the PLers do. They grip my platform well to so I don't slide around while splitting.

Jack