Glock Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finishing up a 14.5" Aero M4E1 carbine with an Atlas S-One handguard, and the rifle would be used for distances of 150 yards or less 99% of the time. I don't think putting on a scope for magnification would make much sense, but I'm open to opinions. I'd also really appreciate specific red dot recommendations since I have no prior experience with those. Budget would also be $150 or less.

Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
17,468 Posts
I have a couple Bushnell TRS25 red dot's on some .22LR guns. They work great there, haven't tried them on anything bigger. Only cost about $70.

On my AR-15's I have three Vortex Sparc red dots. They work well, and use a AAA battery which lasts a long time and is cheap to replace. They run about $170.

Reactions: Norman

·
Registered
14,985 Posts
Lots of Top 5 lists seem to include the Sig Romeo5 for best budget red dot. What would the Vortex Sparc have over it to justify $50 more? Thanks!
I don't like any of the Sig optics. They were having Holosun manufacture them, but to inferior specs. I've seen several fail in competitions. Either electronics failing or supplied mounts breaking.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
If your only shooting out to 150 yards max why do you need a red dot . . If no answer that buy what fits your needs under a159bucks and most anything out there will work on a ar15 , even a cheap one .

One bit opf info your owver lookinfgis NO dot optic will give the clarity and field of view of a LPVO with a 30mm tube and batterys are not needed but available to most model's .

Maybe a LPVO like the one below will change your mind and it has a red dot as needed .-
Primary Arms Classic Series 1-4x24mm SFP Rifle Scope - Illuminated Duplex Dot

·
Registered
597 Posts
I'll throw in my 2cents. I own a couple Aimpoint T2s, H1, PRO. Love them. But bought a Holosun 403B for my Beretta/LTT 1301 and it's been great with no problems to report after the recoil of a few hundred full power slugs so far. It's held zero. Not the war-worthy rock of an optic that a T2 is, but it is also 1/5-1/6 the price. Good value.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
I have a friend using the PA option that Hardluk1 offers and he likes it. I played with a couple of Vortex Strike Eagles and they work fine (lifetime warranty is great), but they are scopes and as such are quite different than a simple red dot. My preference on a gun like you are building is either a EOTech XPS or a Aimpoint Pro. For my AR pistols the EOTech, for carbines the Aimpoint, but I also use a Vortex Venom on my 3 gun weapon as a back up (angled mount). I have heard good things about Holosun and the price point is lower. If you don't feel like "combat proven" is important, the Vortex warranty makes a good case for purchasing their products. Here is a pretty good "basic" article on LPVOs: 7 Best LPVO's | Budget, Midrange, and Highend LPVO Options
Here is an article on red dots that seems valid: 10 Best Budget Red Dot Sights (2022 UPDATE) Don't Miss Out

1 - 15 of 15 Posts