close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need quick answer. Windows 7 install help.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by F14Scott, Jan 24, 2010.

1. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

My wife has a laptop running Vista. Its OS has become corrupted, and we'd like to wipe it and start over. Like, right now, since she has work to do for school.

I bought a full copy of Windows 7: NIB, the DVD and password, at Best Buy. I have already installed it on my own laptop, a few months ago.

Can I use this same disk to put Windows 7 on my wife's laptop? Can I buy another license somewhere, online? If I were to use the password that came in the box (the one I already used for myself), what would happen, e.g. would my own laptop somehow know and freeze itself, etc.?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  2. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

I don't believe that a single use licensed copy will activate on the second computer. Sometimes you can kill it on the original installed destination by making hardware upgrades.

I don't THINK Microsoft will nuke your computer from orbit, but I am not gonna say it won't happen.....

3. Jvrobel_30

Jvrobel_30 G19 owner

I have heard, never tried it and I am no expert, but heard you can use that copy of Windows 7 on multiple computers with jsut the one liscence. It is something they did for people with two computers in their homes. Dont ask for proof, but I do recal reading it online somewhere. That being said, installing it on the other laptop wouldnt hurt it. If anything it will run temporarilly until the genuin advantage asks you to verify your copy of windows.

4. Sgt. Schultz

Sgt. Schultz Annoying Member

The only version of Windows licensed for more then one computer is the corporate/volume license editions.

OPer ... You may be able to install it but it will not activate and will stop working in 30 days if you don't get a legit key for it.

5. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

If he can install it and then go get a key tomorrow, that might help him if the Mrs. needs it tonight.

6. Mostly 9

Mostly 9

Win7 can be used without validation for up to 120 days. Info here.

7. sputnik767

sputnik767

Yes, you can install from the same disk and use the same code. But it will not let you activate it and offer you the option of buying another license. I believe you can do it right from the activation window. Or, you can do the phone activation method, and if you are smart, you can figure out how to activate this copy on a second computer from the question the microsoft activation computer will ask you.

8. F14Scott

F14Scott Luggage CLM

Thanks, friends. Will try it and report what happened.