close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need parts recommendations to refurbish Gen 2 Glock 19

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Bushmanfnp, Dec 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Bushmanfnp

Bushmanfnp

I am buying a Gen 2 Glock 19 with two full cap mags. One of the mags will not hold the slide back, and will need a new mag spring and follower at least. Plan on refirbshing both mags anyway. IMSI springs are my preference for mag and recoil springs.

I also need, since I have no idea how well this gun has been taken care of, (Looks pretty good with no failures other than the slide lock back. in the 100 rounds I shot though it) so I am planning on at least replacing the critical parts. I have worked ( read tinkered) on Glocks before but am by no means an expert.

THIS WILL BE A DAILY CARRY GUN NO TRICKED OUT ACCESSORIES here, just what works and works every time.

My question is that I don't know what are considered "critical" parts.

I am thinking about the following: (If there is anything else please let me know)

1. Mag rebuild as stated above. Has a plus 2 floor plate on one that will be replaced with stock floorplate.

2. striker spring, stock weight (ISMI)

3. Recoil spring, ISMI stock weight, for carry.

3. One or two additional recoil springs to play with. I do not know what weights may help with perceived recoil or muzzle flip. Some suggestions here would be helpful.

4. Stainless-steel vs. tungsten guide rod, non captured, as to facilitate spring changes. (Any known problems with these?)

5. If I recall correctly, there is a spring on the slide stopped that is prone to failure. What is the proper name for this part so that I may order one to have as a reserve.

6. Extended magazine release the semi oval type, one preferably that does not require frame modification for installation. I know that glockmeister, top Glock, and lone wolf all carry omething similar to this. It appears that lone wolf requires cutting the frame to use one of these. It also appears that the ones from top Glock and Glock Meister do not. Is this correct?

7. Meprolight, Trijicon, vs XS, some other brand of fixed sight. BTW I do not have a site pusher. This gun has stock sights currently.

8. In the trigger group, I am planning on staying with a five pound trigger. Is there any advantage of changing trigger springs or bars in order to get a smoother, more crisp, trigger with less overtravel without sacrificing reliability?

As you can see, most of my questions that I need the most help with our deciding on 1. Sights 2. Recoil spring weights 3. Trigger group.

Thanks for your help, Trying to place an order this afternoon. Would prefer to get everything from one store.

2. Blitzer

Blitzer Cool Cat

I.M.O.

I like toying with my sidearms, but I would send it back to GLOCK for a refurb/upgrade as the it is cheapest route.

:cool: ;)

3. Bushmanfnp

Bushmanfnp

With all due respect, I believe that these modifications can be taken out without any difficulty, and within about one hour time frame. Aside from the trigger group work, changing mag and recoil springs is easy to do, and they wouldn't put on an extended mag catch unless it was a stock Glock part, which I have one of, but I prefer the one that has a bigger contact surface for the thumb as it wouldn't require me to change my grip angle to actuate the button.

4. Bushmanfnp

Bushmanfnp

Would any body be able to help me here with recoil spring weights and guide rod suggestions at least? Thanks!

5. RandySmith

RandySmith

Would any body be able to help me here with recoil spring weights and guide rod suggestions at least? Thanks!

Given that:

THIS WILL BE A DAILY CARRY GUN NO TRICKED OUT ACCESSORIES here, just what works and works every time.

is the requirement, I would suggest using only FACTORY parts. Nothing after market.

Randy

6. Bushmanfnp

Bushmanfnp

ok Randy, Thanks for the recommendations. I will stick to factory parts... 18# recoil spring... etc. MB

7. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I believe he was suggesting that Glock will refurbish the gun, inspect it and replace anything that needs to be replaced with factory parts for about what it would cost you to buy the springs you mentioned. I saw a web page saying it would cost $45.

8. DANGELO

DANGELO

I JUST customized my own G19, and it was not only simple (relatively) it was FUN. If you can do ONE GLOCK, you can do them ALL.

1. Get the right tools. AroTec's "KIT" is first rate. WAIT FOR THEM. Source; them or BROWNELLS

2. Roll of duct-tape. Perfect working surface. Push the pins thru, with the soft tape supporting the gun, and pins stay in the middle.

3. Go with STOCK PIECES as much as possible. Spring rates at FINE stock in the G19. I actually went UP one lbs with a new ISMI spring and steel uncaptured rod. The rod HAS TO GO. I melted my factory plastic rod. Remove and save old one. Lightning Strike or Aro-Tek have guide rod replacments. Again, BROWNELLS.

4. Sights. Loose the factory sights. If you have the cash, get a set of HiViz with the Tritium/Fiber Optic Tech night sights, or my personal fav's, Hiene Straight Eights with Tritium insert. Again, BROWNELLS.

5. Magazines. During the "BAN" a lot of aftermarket overseas crap was out there, I have a few for my G17 from Austria with the stripper clips that wouldnt lock open the slide. Toss them. Or just use them as PRACTIVE MAG's. They will be fine, I assure you. Get one, G19, 15 rnd mag, and two G17 mags, then get Pierce or Glock extensions for each. Carry the G19 mag full, with the two G17's on your hip. Yes...they fit and work FINE.

6. Trigger...Get GLOCK to do ANY/ALL factory free upgrades mod's. They are FAST and the best at this. Worth it for warranty too. I suggest NY1 Olive Trigger spring with LIGHTLY polished trigger bar, connector, and safety plunger thingy. Did it to my G19, and it feels good. Keep weights at the 5lbs mark for the connector. Carry piece; reliable consistent pull is key.

7. LUBE!!! Carrying the thing will get it NASTY. You just got it, so start from scratch. Totally DEGREASE the thing. However you like. The more warning labels on the bottle doenst necessary mean better. Watch the plastic...resilient, but come on! Once it DRY and CLEAN (Hot Water is an EXCELLENT solvent, as long as your DRY the thing) take the barrel, slide, and springs apart and CLP them up. Let them SIT overnight in CLP. Wipe off excess, put togther, and a dap here and there from then on out and you are SET.

8. Practice...Only SHOOTING will show if the gun is any good.

9. Practice...Only Shoooting will show if YOu are any good!

10. Lock it up! Your new gun. Your $$$. Lock box under the bed, with a chain aorund the bed frame. Easy to get to for you, time consuming and noisy for the BG's to ge at.

And REMEMBER!!! HAVE FUN!!!

R/S

9. RandySmith

RandySmith

How exactly did you melt the plastic guide rod and not melt the fiber sights?

Randy

10. kidreynolds

kidreynolds

Yea I just sent my 32c off to Glock Last week I called and talked to Doug and he stated that for 45 bucks they would refinish the slide and repair anything that was wrong with the gun. I also asked about a extended Slide release and he said that would just be 8 more dollars (My last one cost me 15 at the gun show) so I just spent 53 bucks plus 40 bucks to ship it to referb the gun like new

Seemed pretty cheap to me