Need opinions!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GP4L, Apr 19, 2016.

1. GP4L

GP4L

Hi all, I'm a new member on the forum. Among other types of firearms, I bought a G19 g4 a few months ago (when they finally came back in stock in my area), and absolutely love it. I should receive my ccw permit sometime this year, and need some opinions about other Glocks.

First, I'm a bigger guy, and I have huge hands (6'3" 230, and I have 9 3/4" hands). The G19 is pretty much the lower limit for size I feel really comfortable shooting, compared to other small frame handguns that are not Glocks. I haven't fired a G26 yet, and am wondering if I should invest time finding out if the G26 would be a good option as a carry weapon? I would definitely carry the G19, as I have plenty of real-estate available to conceal it. But maybe there's a situation I would need something smaller (ankle holster or something). The other aspect I'm trying to consider is: my truck gun. I have an effective locking solution in my vehicle to secure a firearm that I would need to leave in my vehicle (IL has a ton of BS locations that aren't firearm friendly, and having a safe, effective, storage means in your vehicle is basically a must). The reason I want another firearm option to be with me, is that in a bad situation (forbid) it's a lot easier/faster for me to grab a weapon from a lower dash holster, than it is for me to draw from concealment. Also, in the event that there's a major malfunction, I have a backup. Also (again), why settle for one, when I can have two.. (one on me, and another very near me)? So all that lead's me into my question for you...

What should my next Glock be? I'm pretty sure I'm going to stay 9mm, as it's very affordable to train with, and it give's me the ability to buy the same ammo for my working guns that are going to go, pretty much everywhere with me. I see advantages for all 3 9mm Glocks I'm interested in. 17 is full size, best grip for my hand, can stay in the truck (don't need to worry about concealing it on my body) plus can backup my nightstand firearm. Another G19, as I know I love it, it's a true multi-role handgun, can be a vehicle gun, nightstand, concealed, ect. Or the G26 - it's small size can easily be concealed on my person, but probably wont serve much more than a deep concealment weapon when needed, because of it'small grip, lower capacity and my huge hands. I think it's a little bit more between the 17 and another 19. Both have ideal capacity (without a large magazine extension). The 19 give's me familiarity and versatility, the 17 gives me a grip that a little bit more ideal for my hand size, and a little less versatility. I'm not going to split hairs over bullet performance out of the different barrel lengths, as I'm fairly sure nobody would want to be shot with a 9mm coming out of a 3" the same as a 4.5+" barrel. Now, talking about the 17 leads me down the rabbit hole... I could disregard ammo/mag sharing, and look at the G21. It still falls a little into ammo sharing, as I own two full size 1911's (yep, I'm a rare breed that loves 1911's and Glocks equally) so I buy .45acp ammo already as well. Side note: the 1911's can be carried - most effectively in a shoulder rig, but I reserve their use for the range, and my night stands. The G21 could basically serve the same purposes the G17 could, just in a larger caliber (so it typically hits a little harder, but holds less ammo - accuracy becomes more important). I can't decide for the life of me (maybe a bad choice of words...). I wish I could pick up a few different models, but my budget is restricted to picking out one.

So please, post away, and share your thoughts about my (good) dilemma, and what you would do/have done in similar situations.. Or maybe I'm crazy, and need you all to tell me!

kaisooba likes this.
  2. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

If you're pretty sure you're going to stay with 9mm...Glock 26 would be my vote, small, easy to shoot (and ccw).or another 19 as a man can't have too many Glock 19s.

GP4L and kaisooba like this.

3. RCJH

RCJH

Personally, I'd not go down to the G26. ONLY because of your hand size.. Its a fantastic weapon. But for me, I'd want the gun to fit my hand a little better than the 26 would in your case. Others on here may disagree.

GP4L and kaisooba like this.
  4. kaisooba

kaisooba

I very much like the G34, YMMV. Just an Idea.

GP4L and country888 like this.
  5. stevedal12

stevedal12

I have pretty big hands and don't have any issues carrying or shooting my G30S if you like a .45. I did replace all my mag bases with the Pearce bases to make a more even grip down onto the base.

GP4L and 45acp is best acp like this.
  6. country888

country888

Great post. Just my thoughts... Yes the g19 is a great platform, everyone should own one. I love mine, it rides with me a lot. I just picked up a g35 and a g40. Now, with your big hands and not worrying about concealing it you might want to try out a g34 9mm. I love the ballance of the g34 and g35. Its the same size as the 1911 that you love. I put a KKM 9mm conversion in my g35 and its great. Im not a fan of the g26 and g27 because they are small but thick. They just dont feel right in my hand. I do like the g43 and g42 though. Just food for thought but before I picked up another id lay a g34 in my hand to see how it felt for you.

GP4L likes this.
  7. ronin.45

ronin.45

My hand is about the same size as yours and the 26 fits me better than the 19. It can't hurt to rent one at a range to try it out.

GP4L, Bruce M and country888 like this.
  8. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

GP4L likes this.
  9. jnichols2

jnichols2

I have a G19 and G26, along with X-Large glove hands.

I can't stand the G26 with the standard flush mounted 10 round magazine. I just can't shoot with a two finger grip.

I tried the Pearce +2 grip extentions. That raised the rounds to 12, and gave my pinkie a safe place to rest. Even with the extender, it's still a lot smaller to carry than the G19. That's when I really started to like the G26. When I bought more magazines, I got the Glock 12 round magazines. I like them better than the Pearce +2 grip extentions.

If you turn out liking the G26 for carry as much as I do, the G19 will make a great truck gun.

GP4L likes this.
  10. Rocky7

Rocky7

6-4" 235#. Hands are large. Have (3) 26's with Pearce pg39 extensions on (40) mags, I carry and compete with this platform and the 17's, also have (40) mags for the 17's. Carry the 26 in pocket, smart carry or Appendix in bladetech nano holsters.

I have a Ruger Alaskan Snubby for times when large danger is present. I have reloaded for over 50 years and took (3) groundhogs with head shots at 45 yards last year.

Suggest you choose your platform or platforms and put lots of effort in practice, I still get out and put down 15k rounds a year.

I shoot the 26 now as well as the 17,neither platform will leave you undergunned or inadequate in competition or carry. Good Luck in your quest.

GP4L likes this.
  11. Paul53

Paul53 Retired from 24/7 body repair.

I wear 3XL gloves. My everyday carry is a 19. 26 felt uncomfortably small in my hands. Even my 19 gen 4 I have the large backstrap, a Talon Grip over that, Pachimayr sleeve on that and am looking for a bike inner tube to add another layer. I have pearce extensions on my carry mags to catch about half a pinky for more grip.
    Accept that if anybody made a gun that fit you and I, nobody else could hold it. Try shooting a 26, look around for ways to adjust it as needed. Then decide if you should spend the money for it.
    Now that open carry is OK in TX, I may start carrying a 17. Good luck.

GP4L likes this.
  12. jfost11

jfost11

You can always use a 19 mag in the 26 when you don't need it as small as possible. With an X Grip sleeve on the longer mag, you get a full grip that IMO is more comfortable than the 19 frame.

GP4L, Bruce M and Paul53 like this.
  13. Taco Junkie

Taco Junkie Practically a saint

You need opinions? Boy did you come to the wrong place! :rofl:

GP4L, country888 and Paul53 like this.
  14. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

Ill be first to direct you to hikock45 videos to see a 6 foot 8inch
    tall man with pretty big hands shoot a g26 quite well. I carry a g26
    or g19 myself.
    But since you are good sized,I would suggest you look at the g41. For me it carries iwb sorta like a 1911,which I have carried
    for many years. Im not that big.
    You are lucky to be able to carry about any size gun you want.
    The world is your oyster. Just pick out whichever you
    shoot well and have fun!
    45acp is my favorite round for pure shooting enjoyment.

GP4L and Paul53 like this.
  15. Giggity-Giggity

Giggity-Giggity Giggity-Goo!!!

Here we go...get the G26-concealment, G17-truck/house gun and G21-range/truck/house gun. In that order.

16. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

'Nother G19!

You got 2 great big ole identical hands, you need 2 identical guns.

GP4L likes this.
  17. glide

glide Just sayin'

If you really need to conceal go with a J frame revolver 38 special caliber. If you have to stick with a Glock pistol go with the Model 26 with grip extentions.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

18. GP4L

GP4L

Great posts everyone! I'm getting informative and funny feedback - just like I was hoping for! I'm in agreement that I need to rent a G26 and give it a workout. I'll give the G30 a go too. I noted that many disregarded the G17 from their suggestions in favor of the G21 - which does sound appealing as a truck/nightstand gun - which now I'm leaning towards being a little more important after reading the comments. Not that a deep concealment option isn't important isn't important - it might just mean that I need to allocate some more $$ to solve my "issue."

Again, this is mainly a convenience thing. With my G19, I don't practice appendix carry, it's never comfortable unless I'm standing/walking. Sitting down or bending over I get poked like crazy. I do some training with appendix carry - just because - but since I've been primarily practicing my carry between 3:30-5:30, this means that getting into my vehicle, I'm partially sitting on my weapon. While I don't have a physical comfort issue doing that - the weapon isn't "as accessible" if I need it.

I also don't love the idea of transferring my 19 from body holster to vehicle hostler every time I'm in and out of my truck. Probably half of the people in my community (if not >50%) are terrified of guns. They're coming around in general (CCW introduction, Chicago handgun ban lifted, ect..), but transferring a firearm back onto my body while I'm sitting in my truck, in a parking lot before I go into wherever I'm at - is one set of eye's away from a 911 call, and possibly having to deal with police. Even being careful, it's still a risk - the wrong soccer mom seeing anything suspicious, ugh. Hence why I need to consider my next piece to be (almost) dedicated to being easily accessible in my vehicle, so the weapon on my body can stay on my body.

But who knows, maybe once I receive my permit and can start applying my carry training and practice into the real world I'll change my thoughts on techniques.

19. jfost11

jfost11

hickok45 is seven feet tall! If he were here, he'd consume the British with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse!

clemsonf250 likes this.
  20. GP4L

GP4L

Hahaha. Yeah I've been watching his videos for a while, he's pretty entertaining.