Need Opinions . . .

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Buzz9mm, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Buzz9mm

Buzz9mm

**PLEASE READ ME!!! GOOD KARMA : )!!!**

**SORRY IT'S SO LONG!!** :supergrin:

Hello,

I am planning on selling my 9mm pistol this weekend at the local gun show and replacing it quickly with something else. I have a firm $350 budget for the replacement and have my heart set on either a 357 magnum (Rossi, Taurus, EAA), another 9mm(Taurus, S&W, Ruger, Kel Tec), or a Ruger .22 pistol. I want something fun, and not too expensive to practice with, but will pack enough punch to end a bad situation.

I saw an EAA Windicator 357 magnum for around $250, but the reviews looked horrible. I like the Rossi & Taurus 357's but they seem to be hard to find. I love my 9mm, but I am concerned that in a SHTF situation, the clip could drop out, or it could jam, etc. With that being said, I like the looks of the Kel Tec P11, bud have heard the trigger pull is long. I saw the Taurus Millennium Pro, and it looked cool, but I'm not too sure about Taurus semi autos. I love the ruger 9mm's, but they're a bit bulky for my taste. The only reason I'm considering the .22 is because I would probably be very accurate with it, and with a couple clips of CCI Stingers, it probably wouldn't be too bad. I apologize for the length of my thread and would appreciate anyone's opinions!

Thanks,

Buzz9mm :wavey:

2. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

Have you handled a High Point?

3. JJ.45

JJ.45

Whatever you get, make sure you get lots of clips. I mean, you can't have too many clips. Clips are important. Get some good clips. Clip clippety clip clip clip.

4. dnuggett

dnuggett PRO 2A

In a SHTF situation, I would only want a .22 if there were no other options. Seeing as you are starting from ground zero, I'd rule that choice out.

The .357 will definitely be more expensive to pratice with, but there are many choices in the price you are looking to spend made by the makers you mentioned.. Rossi, Taurus, etc.

You are going to need to practice with any gun to feel confident about your abilities in a SHTF situation. That said, the Keltec P11 will take more practice than other choices you could make.

I am a big fan of the P95 in the price range you mention, but it sounds like you are already set against that. Someone has NIB models for $279 in the firearms listings page here on GT.

I'm sure there are some other choices in the $350 range, like a Star model.

If you could get your range up to the $400 range you start opening up a wider range of choices, including Glocks. You can get them all day used for $400 in 9mm and larger calibers.

5. Buzz9mm

Buzz9mm

Thank you for the replies guys. I have looked into high points and I think their okay, but I figure I'll go for the gusto and spend at least $300-$350. :supergrin: Also, what do you guys think about the Kel Tec p11 vs the comps? and has anyone every thought about the clip dropping out of the gun thing? If it happens a lot I think I would just go with 6 shots of 357 magnum, ya know?

6. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

What is your present 9mm that you are so anxious to get rid of?

Clips falling out of autos are about as common as revolver cylinders falling open by themselves.

7. luckyrxc

luckyrxc

:rofl:

You've really got to watch those paper clips falling out of your pocket when you draw the pistol. Sorry, couldn't resist but it's a 'magazine', and Jim's right. If you are using a quality pistol, magazines don't tend to just fall out. But, I'm thinking you might serve yourself best by spending the first couple hundred dollars on a shooting class. You'll learn a ton and most likely will have the opportunity to shoot different guns. The most expensive gun decision is the one you have to do more than once. It sounds like you are already on round two and are about to repeat the mistake by keeping your purchase on the cheap rather than buying the best gun for YOU.
    Someone is bound to flame me for this but here goes: Pistols are cheap (excluding the expensive high zoot guns). It's holsters, magazines, ear protection, TRAINING, range time, and all that other stuff that adds up. Don't forget 20,000 rounds of training ammo you'll need to get proficient. Okay, maybe more, maybe less, depending on who you ask. But my point is that the hardware is just the beginning of the investment.

Oh, and a .22? Everyone should own one...but not if it's their only one.

8. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

I'm curious as well... What is your current 9mm?

9. Buzz9mm

Buzz9mm

I purchased the 9mm to be my learning gun after I upgraded from my .22 revolver. It is a Smith and Wesson 915 from the early 90's I believe. I am getting rid of it because its starting to get . . for lack of a better word . . old. It is a great gun, but it is 15 years old. Recently at the range, it was . . sticky. The slide got stuck and and I'm just freaking out and want something different and preferably brand new with no ones greasy, inexperienced fingers on it. Also, as far as the .22, would a couple of chest shots with a 9mm beat 10 .22 bullets to the head?

10. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

11. Buzz9mm

Buzz9mm

Would you suggest a Kel Tec P11, a Ruger p95, or a Taurus 9mm or 45? Kel Tec has a 9 pound doa trigger btw . . .

12. boatsanhoes

boatsanhoes

My opinion is that you should go with at least another 9mm. In my CC class the instructor said you never want to go anything lower than that of a .380. The .357 might not be to bad if you practiced with .38's. I only have a berretta storm for the 9 and I love it. Ruger wouldnt be to bad but I find them to be bulky. Other than that I got no other real strong opinions for you. Good Luck!!!

13. Kosher Larry

Kosher Larry MWAG

You started out with a marginal gun in the S&W 915. The 915 is Smith's entry level 9mm in the metal frame platform. Replacing it with a marginal gun such as a Keltec, Ruger P Series, etc. is only going to land you in this same place again, maybe even sooner. If you can stretch the budget a hair, try and find a used Glock 17 or 19. You will not be disappointed. If you can't, try looking into S&W's 3rd Gen metal frame pistols. You can find them all day long in good used condition within that price frame. Some of the model numbers are 5906, 5946 on the full frame, 3913, 3953 on the compact size. They are GREAT pistols and can be had at a very reasonable price. Hope this helps.

14. gatorhugger

gatorhugger

Ruger P series is "marginal"??
    Marginal at what? Shooting for 50 years and never breaking?
    There is nothing marginal about a p89 I assure you.

15. gritty

gritty

Upgrade to a better gun. Its worth the extra money and youll thank yourself later. Also, I would definitely not go with a Kel-Tec. Their frames can be very uncomfortable!

16. austinguy23

austinguy23

You're better off getting a used gun from a quality manufacturer like Glock or S&W rather than buying a new gun from a cheap brand like Kel Tec or Ruger.

17. Chronos

Chronos

No.

But a couple solid hits to center of mass, starting with a 15-round mag. of 9mm is probably about 100 times easier to make happen than 10 hits to the head, starting with a 10 round mag. of .22's.

I really, really like a good .22 -- it is super-useful and it can be deadly, too. But if you plan on using it for defense against aggressive humans, I hope you're a world-class pistol shot and cool as ice under the worst pressure imaginable. And here's hoping you don't run into a dud rimfire primer when it counts, too.

18. G-31

G-31 .357 Sig

:steamed: :animlol:

19. txpitdog

txpitdog

You would do much better to buy a used gun og good quality than to replace cheap with cheap. You've learned on your entry level gun, so now it is time to move up to a gun that will last, will hold its value, and that you will enjoy shooting for a long time.

I would love to recommend a 357mag to you, particularly a Ruger Security Six, but sinced you are already familiar with 9mm and are limited on funds, you should probably stick with 9mm for now. Ammo is cheap, and recoil is low.

Regardless of what some say, rugers are built to last. They may not be as sleek as some, but they are quality firearms. A used Glock would be a great choice as well. In your price range there are not many options, and since you've shot your S&W 915 this long, seriously consider hanging on to it for now and saving for something in the $450-600 range. The options are almost endless in this price range. You might also think about that your 915 is worth and whether that would help boost your budget.

20. cpg1028

cpg1028

Dude I would go with the kel-tec they are good guns for the money. My friend has one and it shoots like a champ although i believe he has the smaller pf-9.