Need opinions........Beretta PX4 Storm in .40 S&W or Walther P99 in .40 S&W

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Oct 6, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I sold my Glock 22 RTF due to the fact that it literally chewed up my hands when shooting it.......to the point of raw skin. It was one of the ones with the fish gill slide serrations, and I wanted to keep it, but what is the use of having something you aren't gonna shoot?

Anyway, I've been doing research, and honestly there isn't a whole lot of info out there on the Walther P99 in .40 S&W........so what are you guy's impressions on these two guns?

Its down to the Beretta PX4 Storm in .40 S&W or Walther P99 in .40 S&W....I am staying in the $600 ish price range, and do not wish to go any higher. Both of these can be had for that amount brand new at my local gun shop. FWIW, the P99 at the gun shop has the QA trigger, and one has the AS trigger. Both P99s are the same price. Thanks! :wavey:

2. JNKIRK1974

JNKIRK1974

Well, I have a Walther PPS and love it. Don't know enough about the P99.

However, I have shot the PX4 Storm and think it's terrific. It also fits in my hand very well.

3. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

I used to be a SUPER P99 A/S 9mm nut - Over the last 5 years, I got 2 people to buy a P99 after trying mine, and 14 people online to buy one after my constant raving about the gun.

However, I do not like the gun at all in 40 cal. Even in 9mm - the biggest thing I do NOT like about the P99 is that it seems to have more felt recoil than other guns. For a 9mm - it recoils more than other polymer 9mms... I have shot a few rounds thru a 40 P99 once, and I did not like it at all...

However, the PX4 Beretta - it is the ONLY 40 cal gun I have ever bought. I no longer have it because I needed to sell a few guns in 2008 to help pay for a semi-custom 1911. But, if not for that, I'd still have it.

The rotating barrel doesn't seem to reduce the 9mm recoil all that much - but in 40... wow. It's almost like shooting a 9mm. The PX4 is the softest shooting 40 cal gun I've ever shot.

If you really want a P99, I'd say - get one in 9mm. Over the years, I have seen guys on the Walther Forum try to sell or trade their 40 cal P99s in order to get one in 9mm.

Granted - there are some 40 cal P99 fans... But, I'm just telling you my personal experience AND what I have seen many others do with their 40 cal P99s...

So, I'd say - if ya really want one in 40 - Get the PX4...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2010
  4. raven11

raven11

I own a 9mm Walther P99 AS

the trigger on the AS isn't really a difference of pull weight but pull distance.

the weapon is very ergonomic and comes with three backstraps and two magazines, the backstraps are held in place by a pin, you can use a toothpick to change the backstraps.

the difference between the AS and QA are trigger lengths , the AS has two trigger pull lengths simulating DA/SA with the QA having a glock pull trigger. the AS does have "double strike" but the QA does not

the finish is Tenifer and one of the original glock engineers worked on the P99 project. its a good handgun to buy

keep in mind the magazines are expensive but S&Wp99 mags will work on Walther p99

I was one of the 14, actually the P99 was the first handgun I bought on my 21 birthday . nice to see you back ship

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  5. JACeglarek

JACeglarek

I have a PX4 Storm in 40, and think it's a great pistol. I also own an M&P40, and think it's a great pistol. Both shoot very well, and neither has ever given me one bit of trouble. I haven't looked at prices recently, but I seem to recall that I paid about the same amount of money for each...and under the $600 you have to work with.

6. fastbolt

fastbolt

I have a fair amount of experience with the P99 series but none with the Beretta PX series.

I've been through 3 armorer classes for the SW99/P99, have carried an issued SW9940 and own a FS .40 & a compact 9mm. Personally, I prefer the P99/SW99 series when it's chambered in 9mm, but I won't be getting rid of my FS SW9940.

I also prefer the AS action over the QA action, but that's more in the way of a personal preference than a specific endorsement of one being "better" than the other.

It probably wouldn't hurt to try and find examples of each to test-fire at a local range. Pick whatever suits you best.

I don't know what the warranty is for the Beretta, but Walther only offers a 1-year warranty on their P99's. Walther parts can be expensive, too. The sear housing block (in which the ejector is molded) can cost about $100, plus labor, to replace after the warranty has expired, for example.

The 99 series is a design which never really achieved the attention and respect it deserved in my opinion. It's never been aggressively marketed and advertised by Walther in the US, for whatever reason.

The grip design of the 99 series is good, but the simple backstrap inserts never really seemed as well designed as they might have been, in my perspective.

Why not give each pistol design a try on some range, if possible, and see which one offers better ergonomics and controllability for you before making your decision?

7. obxemt

obxemt Chaplain of CT

Old thread but I felt compelled to post.

The Px4 is a POS. Feels cheap, poor ergonomics, poor handling, and the suckiest safety ever manufactured.

I'd love to have a P99 again.