Need new puppy advice. I want to move past the grief ASAP!

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jame, Jun 10, 2020.

1. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

I miss my little guy terribly, and I can’t think of a better way to move on is to find a new friend.

I’m considering a puppy of similar characteristics as my last little guy, a Miniature Pincer. I’m looking for a smooth coated small terrier type dog, be it another MinPin, a Dachshund, Rat Terrier, etc.

What do you guys suggest? What best friends do you have by your side? I’d like to hear the good, bad, and ugly side of some of these breeds.

Any suggestions?

(edit to add: I’m at somewhat of an advantage here. My wife is the small animal ward manager at the Iowa State University Veterinary College, so I have a LOT of exposure here......)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    -JCN-, Joshhtn, Rotn1 and 2 others like this.
  2. catman71

catman71 Spewer of TROOF

I have 2 labs now and it’s great September thru December when I can hunt. The rest of the year, they occupy a lot of my time...and wreck sh*t.

We’ve had a bulldog previously and the effort is a 1/10 and their pleasantness to have around the house is a 10/10.

jame likes this.

3. walke121

walke121

We had a miniature dachshund that we got on Sept 11 2001 and I was in high school. He was the best dog. He passed when he was 12 but my mother still talks about him all the time he didn’t bark a ton unless someone knocked on the door. Only thing was he started getting back issues at about age 10.

Have you considered going to a shelter? I have 2 shelter dogs and a Bichón Frise. I love my little Bichon but it feels good to know that I gave those 2 shelter dogs a chance at a good life. They are always happy and great dogs. They are some kind of lab mixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jame likes this.
  4. newglocker10mm

newglocker10mm Texas Born & Bred

Shelter/Rescues for the win. I lost my Lab, my Boxer and Trevuren (Sheperd) all three within 4 months last year due to cancer or old age. We waited about six months and then went and got a rescue 1/2 malumute 1/2 Lab. He is now 2 and weighs 85 lbs. IMG_0492.JPG

5. jonb32248

jonb32248

Well I will tell you to go to a shelter and look around. We lost our best friend back last August. November we found a dog running outside our gate to our road. Didn't want her to be hit, no collar and was dumped there. Had her checked for a chip, nope, put her on a lost and found. No one came forward to claim her. She's soooo good, very smart and very well behaved. Really great dog. So just go look around and find that dog that needs a home.

6. SARG

SARG

Maggie 9 weeks.jpg Mag 5_5_20 (3).JPG We also recently got another pup. First "sweet" girl we have had in about 40 years. All the others were alpha and a constant concern around strangers.

7. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

Go to the shelter. Your new friend is waiting for you there. :dog:

I’m on the road right now, but when I get back, I’ll be looking for a friend for Scooter.

mike from st pe and AddAGlock like this.
  8. Dynactus

Dynactus The wind serenades a purified man.

My two dogs are rescues. They've been great dogs. Got them both as adult dogs. jame, this very minute there's a real good dog sitting in a cage at a shelter counting on you to come get him. Do it tomorrow. Both of you will be so glad you did. I'd really enjoy seeing photos of the big day.

9. slym2none

slym2none

I have had Dachshunds and Black Labs. The Labs are beasts, eat you out of house & home (mine were 85# female and then a 92# male), but are fierce and loyal. The Dachshunds are great lap-dogs and don't eat a lot, but they are cunning little beasts that require lots of attention.

That's my tupennies.

jame likes this.
  10. MurrayNevada

MurrayNevada USMC (MOS 0369) (RVN 69-70)

I think a Yorkshire Terrier fits your requirements. Below is mine, he just had his first birthday.
    Rocky Photo 2.jpg

11. John_AZ

John_AZ

Whenever I have gone looking for a certain type of dog, I have always ended up with something completely different.

Best dog I ever had, just married, we went looking for a small dog. Saw it advertised at the shelter. Went to look at it, dead set we would get it. Got there and it was a shaky little rat dog and I was not having it. Looked over to see the best behaved border collie mix, sitting patiently. Took him out, walked him, he knew how to sit and shake. Wonderful dog.

we ended up with him. He was a terror. Too smart for his own good. Got into everything. Obsessive.

But he was the best, and he was my best friend, and I miss him terribly.

Go to the shelter, look for a dog. It will find you.

0F168040-42A0-423F-AF45-0137AD904902.jpeg

12. quasii

quasii

MinPin... Great Little Pups!

13. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

All good looking pups and great advice so far, fellas.

I am looking primarily at a smaller dog this time around. I’ve had labs and goldies and I love ‘em, but between the hair and the appetite, I think a dog in the 10-15# category fits our life a little better.

I’m all for rescues and shelter dogs, and if I can find one that fits the need, I’m in.

John_AZ and slym2none like this.
  14. ked

ked

No recommendations as to a breed for you, but check with a shelter where you can actually save/rescue a dog.

you’ll know it when he picks you!

kudos to you!

mike from st pe and 9jeeps like this.
  15. FCastle88

FCastle88

If I got another dog I'm thinking something smallish/medium sized and lazy. French Bulldog, English or American Bulldog, a small Bull Terrier breed, etc.

The really small breeds except for maybe Pugs, Boston Terrier, French Bulldogs, and the like tend to be hyper and nippy, AKA small dog syndrome.

As for shelter dogs, if you can find a good one great. For me most shelters and rescues make it far too difficult to adopt and I'm hesitant to risk taking on someone else's problem dog.

16. napp32

napp32

I picked the big guy in this photo. The little girl picked me when I visited the shelter. Big Bear has papers...little Alli doesn't...They don't care about that; and neither do I. I love them both equally. 20180120_224659 - Edited.jpg

17. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

dogs.jpg

Westies are in the 15-20 # range. They are a handful,

but they are worth it.

18. walke121

walke121

My grand parents had a Westie and a Scottie and my aunt and uncle had a westie. Those dogs loved them so much and hated everyone else in the world. They would never let anyone pet them except the owners and I guess that is just their personality. They are beautiful dogs though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willie_pete likes this.
  19. Rotn1

Rotn1

I hope you and your new friend find each other soon.......

That said, as you seem to be less concerned about breed type and more on size the advice on visiting a local shelter is excellent.

All dogs have the potential to be amazing.

Good luck

Or you could get a Rottie pup. They will be 20 pounds at about 11 weeks old and 30 pounds at 14 weeks

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  20. Tomcat1977

Tomcat1977 "Cynical Little me"

LOL A dog can go his entire life without getting people food and still he will be like a vulture watching you eat.