Need my first holster

Discussion in 'The Bayou Club' started by BayouDweller, Nov 28, 2014.

1. BayouDweller

BayouDweller

I have a g26 3rd generation and recently completed my conceal carry class. Now, I have to find a good, solid holster for it. I looked at Fobus, but a lot of the reviews says it's hard to draw the gun quickly. I want a good draw, but I don't want it to be so loose that it will just fall out if tilted wrong. What are y'alls recommendations?

2. wingryder

wingryder

Be prepared to have a drawer full of holsters. Of the CCW methods I've tried with my G26 and my body type (not fat but I have a gut), hybrid design seems to work the best for me. I have a whitehat basemax... a good gun belt is essential as well. IMO, the hybrid design distributes the gun weight better.

3. Boot Stomper

Boot Stomper

I use a Bianchi Snaplok or Carrylok. This is an outside the waist band holster. Been Conceal Carrying (CC) a Glock 27 or Glock 22 for about 12 year. Also buy a good quality CC belt.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-Snaplok-Slide-Holster-Glock/dp/B005PSZOIA"]Amazon.com : Bianchi Size 11/13 84 Snaplok Belt Slide Holster Fits Glock 17/22 19/23 26/27 (Black, Left Hand) : Gun Holsters : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41Ea2s4hnPL[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bianchi-82-Carrylok-Hip-Holster/dp/B0002IKE56"]Amazon.com : Bianchi 82 Carrylok Hip Holster - Size: 11D Glock 26 27 (Black, Right Hand) : Gun Holsters : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@41N5LAVxsoL[/ame]

I am not a fan of plastic/carbon fiber holster unless they are made for police duty gear. I do not like Fobus, you get what you pay for.

If you want cheaper plastic holster that are okay in quality look at Blackhawk or Itac Holsters.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Serpa-Carbon-Holster-Finish/dp/B00FSVS4B8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417170237&sr=8-1&keywords=glock+27+holster+blackhawk"]Amazon.com : BLACKHAWK! Serpa CQC Carbon Fiber Black Holster (Matte Finish), Size 01, Right Hand, (Glock 26/27/33) : Gun Holsters : Sports & [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@417CUOclxiL[/ame]

Here is the Itac Defence Holster:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/9-110120

If you want an In the Waist Band (IWB) holster you need someone else the chime in. I don't own one and do not plan on buying one, but a lot of folk on GT love them.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  4. BayouDweller

BayouDweller

Thanks for all of the feedback! I have some solid tips to go look closer at as I try to find one.

5. CC113

CC113

Like others stated, be prepared for a drawer full of holsters lol... You have to decide where you want to carry and then go from there. I can type for the next hour about all the variations of holsters, materials, where to carry, body type, clothes, etc.
    A holster that's recommended may work for others and not you, where to carry may work for others, you'll have to decide by trial and error so to speak. To add to that, sometimes you want to carry in a belt (pancake) holster, many types out there, do you want it to ride high, the type of rake, etc. Sometimes you'll want or need to carry IWB or in an ankle holster.

And yes, I have a drawer full, sold many, gave many away and still buying... lol.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  6. cola490

cola490

My advice is to go to Google, enter what type of holster you want, OWB or IWB and sit back and read. Also when you go the range ask questions, there are so many options in holsters.
    Enjoy the search:supergrin:.

7. BayouDweller

BayouDweller

So I went with the White Hat line of holsters and am very satisfied with the fit and the draw from the holster. However, the belt I have is too small when I have the holster on me. Any particular recommendations for getting a conceal carry belt? Brands, how much bigger than usual should you buy, etc?

8. ScottR65

ScottR65

I like Hank's gun belts - leather outer, Kydex and nylon layered - see them on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. dudel

dudel

Safariland GLS series. Griplock is intuitive and natural.

10. G29guy06

G29guy06

Well, for CCW you don't need a "solid" holster...most IWB's for example aren't "solid", they're made solid by the belt.

My suggestion: get an OWB, IWB, ankle and pocket holster (you're a size 3 pocket holster- Blackhawk @ walmart).

I recommend the Blackhawk pocket holster and also the Blackhawk sportster also sold @ walmart (pocket $15, OWB $22). I often don't use a holster IWB- just tuck it in there. I think those are good starts and you'll have to see what you like from there- but they're cost effective as well. IWB's are a dime a dozen, get an Uncle Mike's cheapo for now then see what you may like

11. Usp45ct

Usp45ct

Garrett industries. Silent Thunder. You will thank me later.

Kydex outside, leather inside adjustable tension for retention.

12. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

13. ken grant

ken grant

Do try a Glock Sport/Combat for OWB or Inside the belt carry.
    I have boxes of holsters but use the S/C for all non-IWB carry.
    In fact , the S/C stays on me 100% of the time even if I choose to carry AIWB or IWB at the time.

14. Glockdude1

Glockdude1 Federal Member CLM

What ever holster you choose, wear it, go to the range, practice with it, live fire.

:thumbsup:

15. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

For speed, retention, comfort, and a close to body fit, I recommend the Crown Royal Modular Kydex holster with a stiff, double-layer belt. The Crown holster is $50 and has several adjustments for height. Highly recommended...