close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need major help

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by lpo, May 7, 2007.

1. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

My wife and I are the proud new parents of a beautiful baby girl.

Unfortunately, Our 3 year old Pug.who is also my best friend, was not baby ready. We had to let him go to my wifes Grandpas house for good. Now her Grandpa cannot take on a hyper little fireball like him. We never really got any training done with him and he had his run of the house. He was a wedding present to my wife from me(coincedently born on the same day. We could tolerate letting him go to her Grandpas because he would still be around when we wanted to see him but now he will be given to someone else and I am finding it hard to stomach losing my best friend. Wed need to keep a safe home for our darling baby girl first and foremost but does anyone have any advice for away to teach an old dog new tricks? I should've tried training a little before hand but it is too late for should haves. As tore up about it as I am my wife is worse. Is it a lost cause or can he come back home and be a good dog for baby?

I would love any advice I can get.

Harley
    http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/..._041407_001.jpg

2. pjrocco

pjrocco Rock

You can totally teach old dogs new tricks. What was he doing? Was he aggressive towards the baby? I would get him in a train class where you are the person doing the training. Also make sure you practice (NILIF)http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=695236 This will show him you are the alpha and not him.

3. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

New human babies happen to dogs every day.........

Just contact a dog trainer and get him some training and have the trainer show you guys on how to be introduced to the baby........

I know losing the dog has been traumatic and so sad on you guys.......and I think it can all work and he can be once again in your family along with the new baby.

Also........there is a ton of stuff on the web about introducing dogs to new babies........

Here are some things I found:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=in...w+baby&fr=yfp-t-501&toggle=1&cop=mss&ei=UTF-8

4. PrincessCelica

PrincessCelica

Don't be so quick to give up on the little guy. Old dogs can be taught new tricks. As seen on Mythbusters. :thumbsup:

Give it time, patient, and some professional help!

As an aside, I LOVE black pugs. If/when I get my own, it will be a black one. My grandma has had two and I love them!

5. lpo

lpo what?!?!?!?!?

I appreciate everyones help on this..

Unfortunately, Harley got a new owner today. Amanda's Grandpa found a couple who has a 3 year old girl andanother pug. She was nice enough to call and talk to my wife and me. She was interested in knowing his medical history, what Vet he has been using and what meds and food he was on. I think the little girl is more his energy level and the mother is a stay at home mom so she will be able to give him more attention. I loved that little booger more than anything, but I am happy knowing he will be with good people who want to give him a good home and be patient with him. We told them if it did not work out to call us and we would go get him. If it does not work out for them then we might try to take him back in but her Grandpa says him and the little girl are getting along so great. I would hate to take him away from her now.

as long as he is happy we will focus all of our love and attention on the baby and our other pug,

Since this is a pet forum, I can't help but to show off the other pet baby in the house.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x65/outlaw_82/Photo_042707_003.jpg

She's on the left.

6. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

well this is a GOOD NEWS story.......he will be happier over there Ipo........

Those are some seriously cute dogs!!!! That's him on the right???? Adorable!!! :thumbsup: