need loads of 45-70 with unique

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by shoottokill, Mar 5, 2010.

1. shoottokill

shoottokill great ******

i have a 1895 marlin and have a huge bag full of 500 grain 525 grain and a bunch of 305 grain bullets and would like to load unique just to have a mild shooting load well as mild as a 525 grain bullet gets i suppose does any body have loads including overal length what did you use to fill the case and also if no data is out there for this can i use the min starting load for the trapdoors and just go shorter than the case overal length that they call for? pressures on paper seem right? any input?

2. MSgt Dotson

MSgt Dotson

I have never seen any loads for the .45-70 with that powder, which is rather fast burning for rifles, and majorly so for such a large volume case...( we have made some plinking/factory level loads with 2400, however..)

3. Brucev

Brucev

My Lyman manual, copyright 1970, had loads for the .45-70 suited to use in the 1873 Springfield and a separate section for stronger rifles such as the Winchester 1886, etc. A number of loads using Unique are listed for a variety of bullet weights ranging for (Hornaday short-jacketed) 300 and (Remington soft-point) 405 gr. jacketed bullets and cast bullets ranging from 382-552 gr. The first set of loads is specifically intended for use in single-shot .45-70 rifles. The cast bullets listed for loading are all Lyman cast bullet designs.

4. Three-Five-Seven

Three-Five-Seven Señor Mombo Millennium Member

Up to about 12 grains with the heavy bullet and up to about 15 grains with the 405.

Unique is one of the very best powders for replicating black powder velocity loads in the 45/70 (and other stright walled large cases).

I have used it in the 45/70 and 38/55 and am always amazed at how accurate and consistent it is.

However, it is limited to use in light, 1100 fps, loads in the big cartridge. You will hear some people say that using a dacron overpowder wad is necessary with Unique in the 45-2.1. DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!! I ruined a beautiful high wall with that practice and have avoided it ever since. Haven't noticed much difference in accuracy either.

I use magnum primers with such small density loads and always tip the gun up before firing it to get the powder down, into the back end of the case.

Two other powders that work extremely well in the old, black powder cases are 4759 and AA 5744. I prefer the IMR 4759. but have heard other guys just as happy with the AA powder. Both of these will also allow replication of the black powder loads, but will do so with more load density.

BE CAREFUL CHARGING YOUR ROUNDS -- A DOUBLE CHARGE OF UNIQUE WILL BLOW UP YOUR GUN, AT LEAST !!!!!!!!

5. fredj338

fredj338

I used to shoot CAS w/ an 1886 & light 45-70s before they banned them from regular matches. A 300grLFP o/ 8gr of Unique w/ a 1-2gr dacron over powder wad pushed down on top of the charge. Makes about 950fps, very accurate.

6. shoottokill

shoottokill great ******

So how does a 525 grain cast bullet with 10 grs of unique with no filler and a mag primer set to 1895 lever gun case overal length sound as far as I can tell seems right around where the load should be based on readings and pressure levels anyone agree or disagree?

7. Gunnut 45/454

Gunnut 45/454

shoottokill
    My Lyman 3rd doesn't show anything over 464gr for cast loads. Starting load for Unique 10 grs max 14.8 grs So i'd say 10 gr should be O.K. for your 525 cast !! Hopefully you have a Chrony?:supergrin:

8. jaybirdjtt

jaybirdjtt

Well......after consulting with the "8-Ball" I came up with some Unique loads.
    300 grn cast bullet....12.5 grns, 1150 fps but from a long barrel so the Marlin should be less. This was for a Sharps with a 30" bbl. Winchester primers, GM210M. Winchester brass. Listed as not a max load.

482 grn bullet 13 grns is a MAX LOAD. Suggest starting @ 9 grns. Less with a heavier bullet, of course, Sharps with a 30" bbl

552 grn bullet, 12 grns, MAX also! Sharps. 1015 fps. Start @ 9 grns. The last 2 loads used Remington 9 1/2 primers, Remington brass. This sucker probably has a trajectory like an Eddie LeBaron pass!

Just looked at some old notes...I loaded using IMR-4198, alot heavier loads...like 50 grns with a 300 grn Hornady. Got 47 grns behind a 500 grn Hornady. This was for a Ruger and my notes say, "heavy load." I was probably fantasizing about shooting something large with teeth. I remember the 500 grn load had some decent recoil. Not suggesting this for the Marlin.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  9. TonyT

TonyT

I have used 11.6 gr. Unique with a 405 gr. cast lead bullet. Very mild load, accurate at 50 yards but you can see the bullets path to the target. I have not shot it at 100 yards and unfortunately I have not chronographed the load.

10. alank2

alank2

Hi,

What you seek is here:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

I agree, be extremely careful with your loading technique to prevent a double charge which will be a serious kaboom if it happens.

I used to do some 45-70 300grain with about 10 or 11 grains of VV n320 and they were nice little comfortable rounds you could shoot all day...

Good luck,

Alan