Need LEO's take on this

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by Lord, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I was driving home from work one afternoon last week. Quickly passing me by was an aggressive driver in a small SUV. Thought to myself, "what a jerk" with the way he was weaving in and out. Right in front of me was a pickup truck. He wanted to get into the left lane, put on his turn signal, and began to move over. Aggressive driver in SUV accelerated quickly to prevent the move. pickup driver swerved a bit to avoid hitting SUV... but then accelerated a bit and made it into the lane. By this point, I am side by side with aggressive driver in SUV, and I look over at him just as he pulls out a gun from under his seat and points it at the pickup driver who did nothing wrong. He pulled the weapon, rested his wrist on the steering wheel, and clearly aimed at the pick up, who turned left at the next intersection. I was clearly convinced he was going to shoot for a brief second, but then put the gun away and drove on.

I hit brakes a bit to slow up and get behind SUV driver and record license plate, and then I call 911 and report. 911 Op takes as much info as I can give including license plate #, description of vehicle etc, and then instructs me to pull over somewhere so they can send a car to take my report/statement. I do, and give 911 Op address of where I am. Very shortly thereafter, unit shows up, two LEO's. They come up to me, and I give them report and description of person who pulled the gun and description of vehicle. LEO takes my name and phone number, I offer ID but he refuses it, and then.... wait for it...

LEO drops the bomb on me. "Thanks. We'll tell others to keep their eyes open, but we can't try to go after the guy now.... We'll just have to BOLO the guy and see what happens. Have a nice day".

Given that I had the license plate #, a clear description of the vehicle, description of the man, and I could clearly see it was a Glock (19 or 17 size)... why not go get the guy to at least question him?

2. collim1

collim1

At highway speeds they are likely far out of jurisdiction by the time they met with you.

That doesn't mean they didn't follow up with an investigation. They could have also been waiting to see if a victim came forward.

The BOLO meant they notified agencies in the jurisdictions in which he was heading and we're hopeful another agency would intercept him.

At 80 or 90 miles and hour he is traveling a mile and half a minute. You can't safely catch up to someone at that speed when they have a 10-20 mile head start. It's not possible.

crs57, TBO, Paul53 and 7 others like this.

3. Lord

Lord Senior Member

wasn't highway speed. streets, with red lights and everything. They also had his license plate #.. they could have gone to his house.

Toby196, Paul53 and erichernst like this.
  4. collim1

collim1

Do you know he lived in their jurisdiction? I doubt they gave you that information.

Like I said, it doesn't mean they blew you off. They could still be investigating with the information you provided ( which was very good BTW, much better than most complainants give).

I would have probably said something a little differently than they did, but what they said doesn't mean they aren't doing their job.

TBO, Paul53, dp509 and 4 others like this.
  5. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Fair enough. I guess I was put off by the way they just seemed to shrug it off, really, as if they could care less. The cop actually did, physically shrug when he said it.
    Either way, hopefully the guy doesn't eventually crack and actually pull the trigger on someone who pisses him off in traffic.

Toby196, Paul53, dp509 and 1 other person like this.
  6. texmex

texmex

For one thing, they really didn't need to elaborate on what they were or were not going to do. If they track the guy down, he is just going to claim he doesn't know what they are talking about and he didn't do anything. What we would usually do is run the LP, then run the guys name and see what kind of history he has. If he has a history of assault or is a convicted felon, then we might be able to catch the guy driving and get a reason to stop him (something we saw, not something reported by a third party). The least that they may do is put out a BOLO for officer safety just to alert everyone that he may have a firearm and may be prone to pulling some kind of road rage incident. At least his info will be in the system so when or if he pulls something like this again, it will alert everyone that it is not just an isolated incident with only one witness who was not the alleged victim. No matter what they do or don't do, good to have reported it in case there is a future incident or it may even prevent a future incident. At least you did your part. If nobody follows up, it is not your fault. You can only do so much.

Bozz10mm, dp509, janice6 and 7 others like this.
  7. Robgmn

Robgmn

Not a LEO, but had the police do a similar thing with me.
    Followed a guy halfway across town while on the phone with dispatch giving them turn by turn directions (initially thought he was elderly and in medical trouble due to severe weaving).
    They caught up with him after he pulled into a gas station. Since he was parked they said they couldn't do anything without a LEO having witnessed it (even after asking me to identify him). The DID tell me he was known for meth issues, but it went no further than that.

Rock and a hard place. They may be letting someone go who really should be busted, but then again, what if it was a fraudulent report?

DangBruhY likes this.
  8. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I understand what you're saying, thanks for the response. Wouldn't his denial do the house of cards thing if they found the G-17/19 right where I said it was? After all, how would I know it was there if the guy hadn't (intentionally or otherwise) failed to conceal?

9. Terry G

Terry G

They weren't just blowing you off. I would bet the cost of a new Glock that your report was followed up on. Road rage with a gun, even if it's not fired, is taken very seriously.

TBO, Paul53, janice6 and 1 other person like this.
  10. beatcop

beatcop

-maybe plate didn't come back to anything (old, misuse, etc.)
    -the car came back out of jurisdiction
    -came back to a woman

Who knows, what are you really going to do? Bolo the plate and either go to the home of record or send someone there. That's probably the standard.

If you're in a quiet little town they could get an op license photo and make a photo array for you to look at, but in most places that's not happening.

Paul53 likes this.
  11. collim1

collim1

It's still a misdemeanor crime that they didn't observe. It can't be prosecuted without a known victim signing a warrant. Chances are it was followed up on to the extent that it could be without having a known victim, and it is now closed due to lack of victim cooperation. The victim either chose not to come forward, or the victim did not even notice that he had a gun pointed at him.

Like I said before and like has been said since my first post, you did a great job and provided significantly better information than we normally get. Don't let this discourage you from doing it again in the future. There are just certain legal matters it play in this case that could easily prevent it from being prosecuted despite having good witness information.

12. Lord

Lord Senior Member

Yeah I looked it up. Crazy that pulling a gun on someone is only a Class A misdemeanor at best as either Deadly Conduct or Terroristic Threat. I understand better now.

13. collim1

collim1

It would be called menacing in my state and its a misdemeanor.

14. RenegadeGlocker

RenegadeGlocker SuperOwner

This is why I do not call 911 anymore, save it for when someone is really dying.

15. Lord

Lord Senior Member

That's irresponsible.
    At the very least, even if nothing comes from the current call, it's now on record if this guy ever does something more.
    Failing to report, makes you an accessory after the fact.

dudel and kountycop like this.
  16. maxmanta

maxmanta

Is that the law or just your opinion?

17. Lord

Lord Senior Member

law in many states. can also be considered "obstruction of justice" depending on the crime and circumstance

18. wnr700

wnr700

I had something similar once happen involving spousal abuse in a vehicle.

Bought a dash cam shortly afterwards.

BuckRogers2000 and Voidshot9 like this.
  19. Lord

Lord Senior Member

I've been toying with the idea for a while now. Excellent point. I think I will do exactly that. Thanks for the tip.

Paul53 likes this.
  20. maxmanta

maxmanta

Only if you are specifically asked about the crime and you lie and say you know nothing or If the law specifically requires someone in your position to report it--like a teacher who suspects child abuse.