Need input on the Weatherby Vangard

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by Dan in Alaska, Nov 21, 2005.

1. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

I want to pick up a stainless rifle. I have always been a Remington 700 fan (I own three of them), but I recently looked at a Weatherby Vangard. Compared to the Remington 700 Stainless SPS, the Stainless Vangard looks better (smoother finishing, nice stock, etc). Both rifles are the exact same price, and I am not sure which one I should buy.

Can anyone offer some first-hand opinions concerning quality and accuracy of the Weatherby Vangard?

Thanks,
    Dan

2. LBTRS

LBTRS NRA Patron Life

I shot many Elk and Deer with a Weatherby Vangard in 300 Win Mag before I sold it for a lighter rifle. I had one with the fancy Weatherby wood stock and it was heavy as could be. Was a great rifle and shot nice. I would not hesitate to carry one again.

LBTRS

3. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

Manufactured by HOWA with a very good action and despite the low price they tend to be VERY accurate for an out of the box sporter. I've scoped 6-7 for people and sighted them in. On average more accurate than the average M700 or M70. An impressive performer for the small price tag.

FN in MT

4. punkture

punkture

I'll be in the market myself for a new .270 or .308. I have a Tikka T3 Lite in 7mm rem mag and wanted to compare it to the vanguard after reading this. I found an article over at chuckhawks that was relatively informative, although I'm not sure if it will answer any of the specific questions or concerns you may have:
    http://www.chuckhawks.com/rugged_vs_refined.htm

5. Dan in Alaska

Dan in Alaska

Thanks for the quick responses, and I enjoyed the article, punkture. This kind of feedback is what I was hoping for.

A Stainless Weatherby Vangard is $499 at Sportsman's Warehouse, so this should be a heck of a bargain.

Thanks again,
    Dan

6. Sulaco

Sulaco Guest

I like them a lot. They are more accurate out of the box than any Remington or Winchester I have owned. They also all ship with a test target guaranteeing at least (and usually better) 1.5 MOA. They have adjustable triggers too.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rugged_vs_refined.htm

7. Frank in Montana

Frank in Montana

I've recommended the Vanguard to hunters with a limited budget several times over the years. The low price allows You to then buy a Leupold 3-9X with good mounts to complete the package. HATE to see a guy with a decent rifle with a crap scope. I call it "optical suicide".

Doubt if any of You will be dissapointed with the Vanguard. Weatherby has these things figured out. Several years ago I traded a .44 Spcl SAA for a NIB Wby Ultra Lt Weight, .280 Rem, and a 2.5-8X Leupold scope. Put it all together and sighted it in as I had intended to sell it. As I had never been a big Wby fan. Imagine my surprise when it shot about 1/2 MOA with Federal 150 gr NP factory ammo !! At 200 yds off the bench it has shot several less than 1 inch 3 shot groups. ( .980", .950") That is, in my humble opinion AMAZING for an out of the box sporter with factory ammo.

Ended up keeping it (Duh!!) and it's become one of my favorite deer/elk rifles. With the 2.5-8X, three rds of ammo and a light sling it weighs in at 6 pounds 15 ounces. A pleasure to carry.

FN

8. MiamiE

MiamiE

good info here! :)

9. Newbie 9mm

Newbie 9mm

I have a Howa 1500 JRS Classic in .308, pretty much same rifle as the vanguard with a few cosmetic differences, mostly the bolt not being fluted and different stocks. I have leupold rings and bases and a Bushnell Trophy 3-9x40. Off the bipod and rear bag rest, 1/4" MOA groups of 3 shots at 100yds are possible. I used Fed Gold Match .308 and got .212" center to center, and another group using Sierra GameKings 168 gr loaded by Federal, .142" center to center. Very accurate rifle. Also, works very smoothly. Hunting ammo, Partition golds, Core Lokts, Ultra Core Lokts, Scirrocos, Ballistic Tips, Interbonds, would pretty much do 3/4" at 100 yds consistently, and sometimes much tighter. Nato Surplus groups around 1" to 1.5" at 100 yds for groups of 5 shots, and shoots a couple inches higher than most of the hunting stuff. Only beef with it is that the sling stud has pulled out twice. I epoxied it back in the first time, and it did it again the day before opening day for deer, so I didn't have a sling. Rifle is heavier than most want, but that helps me keep a little steadier. They make the same rifles with more normal profile stocks, too, but I like this laminated stock. I just gotta put the steel plate and machine screws for the sling stud for next year. Rifle and mounts cost me $500. I have checked out the Vanguards, the more expensive Weatherby's, other Howas, the Savage 110's, Rem 700, Win 70, Browning A bolt, Kimber Montana, and a Tikka. The Howas, Weatherby's, and Tikka's were amongst the smoothest. I wanted a stiffer stock, and didn't like the synthetic stocks as they seemed flimsier than the wood stocks. I wanted a heavier gun as well so it would recoil less. I may get another stock from Boyds and get a lighter wood one. The vanguards are great rifles, and for a little more, they have "sub MOA" rifles now that are guaranteed sub MOA performance.