Need input on a Kahr CW9.

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Airborne Infantryman, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I was looking at compact, single stack 9mm's that weren't overly expensive.....I came upon one of these..........a Kahr CW9.....I liked the feel, the trigger, and everything but one thing- the fact that everyone or every word I myself have heard about Kahr, has been bad. Now, I really like this pistol, and $470 is a great price for a brand new one....my worry is that I'll get a lemon; so with that said, what are your experiences with the CW9, and more broadly, Kahr handguns overall?

[​IMG]

I'm not gonna lie; that is a good looking firearm, and the price is nice; I'm tired of Glocks right now....I'm just worried about all the bad press I've heard.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
  2. keninnavarre

keninnavarre bulletproof

I have a Kahr TP9, I carry it often. Its been 100% reliable in over 300 rounds fired, and I bought it WELL used. Its a small slim package, so expect a break in period, and try out your carry ammo, before trusting it. It fits anywhere, very easy to ccw.

3. Caladan

Caladan

I've used several CW9's that belong to friends, and haven't seen any problems over many hundreds of rounds. I even helped one person to break in theirs, and there were no malfunctions of any type during that very long initial range session.

Some Kahrs have had problems in the past, mostly the smallest of their polymer guns. Their metal-framed guns do just fine, as does the 9mm CW series. Of course you could get a lemon, but you can say that about all manufacturers.

BTW, that price seems to be a bit high. They normally go for around $400 here. Also, make sure you read the instructions. They work a bit differently than most other pistols......

4. GlockFish

GlockFish Floyd

Look down 2 threads.

:wavey:

5. DEADEYEGUY

DEADEYEGUY

Kahr has had problems with their polymer guns. Several guys at the range have had to send theirs back for work. I saw one gentleman have his extractor fly out the side of his gun the first round he fired. Luckily we found the parts and put the gun back together for him. Assembling it right seemed to do the trick! The CW series actually seems to have less problems than it's more expensive cousins. If you're willing to take the chance it might need some work on it to get it running go for it. The guys that have had problems with their guns Kahr took care of them.

6. jer9vs2324

jer9vs2324

I have an MK9. I'm always in doubt about the gun (from all the negative posts) UNTIL I take it to the range. NEVER had a FTF or malfunction. For a 3" barrel it is exceedingly accurate. The MK9 along with my Glock 23C are my most trouble-free guns.

7. hogship

hogship Patriot Extraordinaire

I have two Kahrs.....not one issue with either one, and it's my opinion Kahrs quality is up there with the best of the best.

It's also my opinion that Kahr made some very poor strategic business decisions when they were first introducing their polymer models in the early/mid 2000 decade. They were so anxious to introduce them, that they did so before the process was perfected. This has served to tarnish their reputation, even when it appears that all the production problems have been resolved.

If I were looking at a currently produced Kahr, I wouldn't have any hesitation to get one.

hog

[​IMG]

8. bac1023

bac1023

I'm not big on the polymer Kahrs.

I do like the steel models and I love my T9. :hearts:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. VanguardMP

VanguardMP

I bought the Kahr PM9 about four years ago and have not had a single issue with it. It has been one of my most carried pistols over the past four years. They are very tight, which is why they must have a break in period. I believe that's also highly recommended in their instruction manual.

As the other poster stated, they had some issues originally with the polymer pistols, but from what I've read and heard they have overcome the problems. It seems I remember they had one of the best customer service centers in the firearm industry too.

If it we're not for the price I would have another PM9. I may pick up a CW9 or 40 in the future.

VMP

10. patw

patw

I had one and just sold it, but not due to any problems with it but money matters. Anyway, it was a light, accurate, and comfortable pistol to carry and shoot. I put a few hundred rounds through it and never had a problem with any ammo.-WWB, Remington,etc.. If I could afford to keep it I would have. I carried it for quite sometime and it didn't even feel like I had anything on my hip. It doesn't have all of the refinements as the P series, but for a no nonsense pistol, you can't go wrong. I will get one again one of these days.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  11. gatorboy

gatorboy

$470 is way too much for a CW. I got three of my five polymer Kahrs (P's and PM's) for $500. I paid $550 for the P45 and P380. The CW's sell for $399 every day at my two local shops and have seen them on sale for $369 and $379. They only come with one mag and NS are not an option even later if you want to buy some. I'd look around more and go for the P9. Kahr mags are expensive.

12. Airborne Infantryman

Airborne Infantryman Nuclear Trunk Monkey

I appreciate the input, guys. I was in the market for another 9mm, but I honestly have pretty much everything I want; except for an FN Five-seveN. I'm gonna go ahead and pick one up this week at some point. Thanks again, guys.

13. venenoindy

venenoindy

I had a CW9 and like it a lot, the only reason I tradeded was that I wanted something even smaller and lighter but was great.

14. Indy_Guy_77

Indy_Guy_77 Thread Killer

As another has said, $470 for a new CW-9 is too high.

I wish I'd have bought a CW-9 instead of the CW-40 that I bought. MY frame ended up breaking...

Personally, I think that Kahr's polymer frames are much better suited to 9mm and .380 than they are to .40 and .45...

I think that the CW-9 is an excellent firearm. Slim, light weight, a truly "all day" carry weapon. I know that my CW-40 was more accurate than such a small/light pistol had a right to be, too.

Extra mags are relatively expensive, especially if you purchase them from Kahr. Remember that the CW line only ships with 1 magazine. Conventional rifling, too, in the CW pistols...if that matters. They do now have a night sight option for them, though. Big bonus there.

-J-

15. ranger56528

ranger56528

Ive had the CW9 and 40.Both nice but wanted more capacity.............One thing to remember.....the more rounds thru it the better it shoots and Iam not talking 100-200 rounds Iam talkin 350-500 rounds,thats when they are getting broke in,groups get better with every round over 250....IMO.......

Might want to look into the real history behind Kahr........Just sayin.