Need info on flat screen TV's please...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tim13, Feb 18, 2010.

1. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

OLED tv's are really new, and very expensive. A 20" Sony is $2500.

2. Don H

Don H

1080p LED HDTV

3. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

The LCDs are going to blow Plasmas out of the water in Best Buys show room. Simply because of the bright lights. Just keep that in mind.

4. RCP

RCP

Glad you posted this I'm in the same boat and was gonna ask the same thing

5. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Yeppers. That's another of the BIG differences. It looks to be a very promising technology once it gets cheaper. Any size TV you want that can be rolled up into a tube and taken with you?

6. blusteel7

blusteel7

I have a Phillips Magnavox 37" LCD bought new in December 2006. Now it won't turn on, the green power light just blinks and the screen is black. I see on the complaint sites that others have had this problem and the fix is expensive. I would do some serious research before buying this brand. I won't buy anything else labeled Magnavox.:steamed:

7. Tim13

Tim13

The Best Buy in my town has all of the flatscreens in a darkened room, out of the bright main floor area. I always thought this was to make it easier to apply sales pressure; fish in a barrel so to speak...LOL. I guess it's to level the playing field and show what a plasma can do next to a LCD.

Tim

8. woggie

woggie

Get you a Vizio, you can't go wrong with them! Great TV and a very good price. Since you have been running a tube any version of LCD (or LED) will blow you away. I spent a ton of $$$ on my Mistu DLP 3 years ago, NEVER again. Vizio from now on!

9. feelinlucky?

feelinlucky?

I did a couple months research, ended up with a Toshiba 46" REGZA. I couldn't be happier. Got a bundle deal from Amazon that included a Toshiba Blu-Ray player. HD is amazing and so is a DVR...very cool...no more dang VCR tapes laying all over the place. You can pick this one up right now for around $800.

10. Half-Breed

Half-Breed ..... CLM

-----

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  11. Tim13

Tim13

Thanks for the AVS forum tip. I guess I'll be spending a lot of free time there.

I guess I assumed I'd be buying local in a brick a mortar store. Did you guys get your TV's from an online retailer instead? Any issues with returns, service, etc...?

Tim

12. Half-Breed

Half-Breed ..... CLM

-----

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  13. Adjuster

Adjuster

If you have access make sure you check out Sams Club, Costco etc.. Their pricing is very good on these tv's.

14. redstar

redstar Live to shoot

sign up at newegg. They have a special every week. I bought a 40" Sharp for under $500.
    Basic overview - Plasma typically have better black colors, but run hotter, LCD's typically are not as good for sports unless you have a 240 mhz refresh rate and run cooler, and LED are ultra thin and light, but are much more expensive

15. Tim13

Tim13

I have both in my area. I was planning on "going to the pharmacy" at both of them, and if I happen to get side tracked by the TV's, so be it...LOL. I've heard it is sometimes advantageous to get the TV from them (Costco or Sam's), even taking into account the cost of a new membership.

Tim

16. Minnow

Minnow

It all depends on your budget. What do you want, a great picture, a big screen size, both, a smaller tv with features, or the cheapest deal?

TV Types - LED,LCD,Plasma.

Processors - 60hz,120hz,240hz,600hz.

Resolution - 720P/1080I, 1080P

Contrast Ratio - More is better in theory, but there is a point where I can't tell the difference anymore.

Make sure that you have atleast two HDMI ports and other ports that are appropriate for your components.
    If you need HDMI wires later, they are much cheaper at monoprice.com. They are the same **** you get at best buy minus the silly cost. This website also has good quality wallmounts for like 25.00 for the same thing you pay a hundred dollars for at best buy/walmart.

My opinion is that for an average sized livingroom, a nice LCD in 46" with 1080P, a 120HZ Processor and a decent contrast ratio can be had for a fairly good price. I'd try to stay with a major brand and shop around for the best deal. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Here is an example:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+REGZA+/+46%22+Class+/+1080p+/+120Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9298477.p?id=1218081119875&skuId=9298477

Maybe add this too! It's an all in one Bluray,DVD/CD,FM/AM Stereo, and Ipod Dock...
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...ayer/9412753.p?id=1218100582570&skuId=9412753

The Sony sounds good. So for about $1200 you can get all of this. Probably cheaper if you shop around.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  17. robinsok

robinsok

I am an installer for an Audio/Video company, and we deal a lot with LG, i really like their products, although they seem a little higher than most. I just bought my new tv last month. Got a pretty good deal at sams club.

It's a 47 inch Sharp Aquos, 1080P, 120hz, 6 hdmi ins, etc. It also has a blu-ray player built in, which is ok, but i wouldn't pay any extra for it. Blu-ray picture quality is amazing, but i would typically rather have a stand alone player, and i do, in my ps3. This TV just happened to have it. Found it on clearance at sams for 714 bucks.

Once you have it you can get into the fun stuff. I am setting up an IR routing system to run all my components from a concealed closet for a super clean look. Also putting in a wall control for the wife with one touch source setup and control. I also just picked up a new laptop with an HDMI output, so i am putting in a wall plate with an HDMI input next to the recliner, so i can plug in and have a 47 inch HD monitor, but now i'm just rambling.

BTW, big +1 for monoprice.com, they have great prices on all kinds of AV Cabling and equipment. Amazing how much cheaper they are than your local store. The stuff i have ordered from them seems to be pretty good quality as well.

18. Cole125

Cole125 Silver Member

I picked up a 32 inch ProView LCD flat screen and Cosco a few years ago for $599. Works great.

19. W4CNG

W4CNG

+10 on the Visio. I have two of them and they are great. At Sam's you can compare all of the sets side by side with the same video running on them. Same at Costco.

20. Tim13

Tim13

Not to derail my own thread, but I was just at the Costco website, and I had no idea you could order a casket from them. Several different models in fact. Bizarre.

Tim