close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need info on flat screen TV's please...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Tim13, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Tim13

Tim13

The good news is my 14 year old or so 35 inch Sony tube TV just crapped out last night, so now I don't have to feel guilty about tossing a perfectly good TV in the trash. Woo hoo! Flat screen HD TV here I come!

The bad news is I know n o t h i n g about them. Zilch. Nada. I usually take a good 2-3 months to research things before making a major purchase like this, but fate has forced my hand.

Are there any "must read" websites that will bring me up to speed quickly, and help me make a decision?

Thanks

Tim

2. rahrah12

rahrah12

cnet.com

will give you some reviews and has some good articles on the differences in tvs

3. Murph33

Murph33

I cannot refer you to any websites in particular. However, I can tell you from personal experience that my two 32" Vizio LCD's have worked out very well for me. To me there was no reason to pay $1500 for a 32" Samsung when I could spend about $450 on each of the Vizios.

4. Glocks&Ducs

Glocks&Ducs

LOL. What do you mean fate has forced your hand? Do you think you are going to die if you don't watch TV? I assure you, the world isn't going to end. Since June 14th of this past year, when they switched to digital signal, I haven't watched TV unless I am at a restaurant or a friend's house. I'm still alive and my eyes haven't bled out due to lack of TV.

5. El_Ron1

El_Ron1 AAAAAAAAGHHH!!!

You are lucky, the technology is maturing, the prices have dropped. I like the Sonys and Samsungs in their respective features and price ranges. Go see the actual TVs with the type of media you spend your time with.

6. Kahr_Glockman

Kahr_Glockman

The wife and I did a lot of research on TVs in last few months. We looked at Plasma, and LCD. LEDs are new tech and very exspensive.

We chose the 42" Vizio from Sam's Club for $698. It is a 240hz and has all the bells and whistles. Very nice. The Vizio gets pretty good reviews and costs less than the comprable Samsung or Sony.

7. Thorazine

Thorazine

To give you an idea...

I do television repair primarily...

Most problematic,

Plasma.
    DLP.

Least -- LCD.

Manufacturer -- hit or miss.

8. rick458

rick458 USS Texas BB-35

The Sony Bravias look fantastic we have one running on an seriously abused Archer external antenna with the digital tuner. and it has the best picture I have seen on a Television, we have not fed it a true HD signal yet.
    it is the 42" model and it cost less than $1000.00

9. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

That's what everyone needs to understand.

Look at the refresh rate Hz, number of HDMI inputs, and maybe the contrast ratio before you buy. I tried researching for a long time. None of it really mattered when I went an actually looked at each TV playing, in person.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  10. Hound_dogs_01

Hound_dogs_01

LED LCD is the only way to go in my opinion.....

Alex

11. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

If you're going to be watching in a bright room, then steer clear of plasma. This is one of the reasons plasma tv's are being phased out, because they don't look good on the bright show room floor of the store.

If you're going to be watching in a room with controlled lighting (blinds, etc) then plasma will look better.

Those statements are assuming similar quality tvs with similar specs.

Plasma has fixed all of the issues with burn in as well. LCDs use less power. Plasma's are heavier because of the glass screen. Other than that, it really doesn't matter. Top three brands are Sony, Samsung, Panasonic (in no particular order) but the other brands seems to do well without too many complaints.

12. lxAsTrOxl

lxAsTrOxl

The Vizio's from Walmart are TOP NOTCH! Love them! Don't cheap out, get the SXT brand you won't regret it. For a cheaper price than Samsung and for the same performance you can't go wrong.

BTW, you can get either 120hz or 240hz. either way if you don't like the fake cardboard look to it you can turn that function off so it looks normal. I really recommend the higher hz for sporting events, looks real nice! And LED is the latest tech they got for the flat screen right now. but LCD is good too, just don't get a plasma it's a pain to keep buying new bulbs.

13. 8-Ball

8-Ball Old Soul

Yes, because I'm sure you have never jokingly justified a buy.

14. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Careful there. There are two types of "LED". One is LED backlit LCD which is better than the normal backlit LCD but still used the LCD technology to create a picture.

Then there is the LED picture technology which has no backlight at all and use organic LED technology to create the picture. This is brand new technology and VERY expensive. A lot of manufactures place "LED" all over the box when really it is a LCD tv with LED backlighting. Don't confuse the two.

15. boozer

boozer

Plasma uses more watts than LCD. Standing next to one is like standing next to a space heater.

I am bemused when somebody says " I bought a Sony Bravia", or "I bought a Samsung flat screen".

Sony Bravia covers a range from S series to XBR. Get the XBR. At least get W series or higher. If you don't know what this means, go to their site and see.

Same with Samsung, get their led 7 series. A smaller top line unit will look better than a larger mid line unit.

16. canis latrans

canis latrans

17. rahrah12

rahrah12

I wouldn't say that they are the same performance. I own a Vizio and a Samsung. The Samsung definitely has a better picture and is a better tv but the Vizio is not bad at all for what it is.

Value for the price Vizio is not bad at all...but there is a noticeable upgrade in picture when you jump up in brand/price.

18. harlenm

harlenm Millennium Member

while I have issues with my samsung LCD, the tech that was hear said that plasmas are incredibly complicated, and extremely difficult to repair if something does go wrong.

19. hockeyrcks9901

hockeyrcks9901

Talk about blowing that WAY out of proportion. The difference is on average, less than 100W. Seeing as a lot of that has to do with the screen technology itself and NOT heat. The actual heat difference is less than the heat put out by a 100W light bulb. My 50" Panasonic Plasma doesn't even get warm to the touch after being on for 4 hours.

Amongst LCDs, there are TV that vary by more than 100 Watts. Plasmas are only higher in energy usage on average.

20. Tim13

Tim13

:rofl: at Glocks&Ducs...

Yeah, I know that a busted TV won't make the earth start spinning in the opposite direction....LOL. I just like having a TV to watch in our family room is all, and I'd prefer to take my time and make a somewhat informed decision. I guess I'll be getting in more practice time on the 'ol banjo now.

Thanks for the advice so far. To show you how far behind the power curve I am when it comes to flatscreens, I had no idea plasmas have a bulb, let alone one you can replace.

I do understand what people have said about going to look at them. Everyone has their own idea of what the "best picture" is on a LCD/LED/plasma TV. I just bought a new computer monitor, and ended up going with a LG model because it was the best looking picture to my eyes, as well as having the features and performance I wanted for gaming.

I think a quick trip to Best Buy and Walmart is in order to look over the herd so to speak.

Tim