Need info on a rifle i inherited

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Spartacus100, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Spartacus100

Spartacus100

I received this rifle from my Dad who got it from my Great Uncle. I know its an Enfield but i was hoping someone could shed some more light on what i have. Someone took an Enfield and converted it to a bolt action hunting rifle but thats all i know. I dont know anything about the scope or whether the .303 is even a good hunting round etc. Not that its for sale since it was passed down to me but any idea on its value? any info would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. par4buffett

par4buffett

Nicely sporterized Lee Enfield, SMLE I believe. .303 cal

3. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 Grumpy Old Guy

With the right ammo it can be a game getter. Looks pretty good for a converted mil-surp.

4. janice6

janice6

5. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

.303 British a classic cartridge- similar to the 30-40 Krag ballistically. The British used it in one form or another from 1888-1957 (although the "modern" load didn't come around until 1907 I believe). PPU loads it and I think that Remington and Winchester may still have a 180-gr SP loading. From a value standpoint...a rough estimate is $200-250 as guns are more desirable in their original military configuration but I'll bet its a great shooter and worth hanging on to.

6. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

A better sporterizing job than most. It is certainly a serviceable hunting rifle.
    .303 is a full power military battle rifle and MG caliber. It is suitable for about any non-dangerous game you are likely to run into. And the British colonials took on about everything that walks, crawls, or flies with the .303.

7. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

8. Berto

Berto woo woo

The .303 has killed just about everything on this Earth given the expanse of the British commonwealths over the last Century.
    Norma and Winchester used to have a strong load for med large game, dunno if they still do....but Hornady, PP and others still load a modern bullet for the .303 and it's good for the job.

9. mj9mm

mj9mm

Very nice for a 303, my neighbor used a sported Enfield like that for years. He was very proud of it, and it was no where near that nice

10. true believer

true believer Super Moderator Moderator

first to op, nice..
    I used to hunt with a few guys who are ww2 vets.. they all came home with something like that and they turned it into a nice hunting rifle..

11. fowl intent

fowl intent Banned

Nice deer rifle. More sentimental value than real value, so I would hang onto it and pass it down.

12. First shot

First shot

I have what appears to be the same rifle, minus the scope, and not quite as good a job of sporterizing. I also got mine from my father before he passed away. Mine has the flip up sights that go up to 800 I assume meters. It's 303 British and is a real whollaper. At 100 yards I can shoot a good group, even though at 60, my eyes ain't what they used to be. I've shot it at 400 yds using the sliding sights. I think I shot 10 rounds and 6 of them hit the silloutte I drew. I took it to my local firearms store, where I'm a regular, and it's not really worth much since it's not original. I keep it around and shoot it twice a year. We live in a rural area of Va. and back in the woods. I've seen a few black bears and if I had to protect our two mutts from getting killed, I'd feel confident using the 180 grain rounds I have. My father probably killed 7-8 deer with it. It's a keeper. First shot.

13. Spartacus100

Spartacus100

Its definitely not for sale and will be in passed down to my son. Im hoping to shoot it today

14. fowl intent

fowl intent Banned

Would love to know its military history. It looks like it has seen service in a number of different capacities judging by the proof/acceptance marks on the receiver.

15. First shot

First shot

I had a collector explain all the numbers on it several years ago. Mine was definitely a service rifle and some of the numbers meant that it had gone back to the armory at some point. If you can find a WW1 or WW2 collector, he could probably tell you a lot about the rifle. Have fun shooting it. It packs a punch. First shot.