close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help with wireless routers

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Dark_Knight7096, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Dark_Knight7096

Dark_Knight7096 Not Vengance!

I have a problem with my wireless internet in its current configuration. Right now I have a USB 2.0 router right now set up on a G-network. The computers are all within a 25-30 foot radius, yet my connection to the network is always either weak or very weak, and on top of that it is highly unstable. I'm talking sometimes every 5 minutes or so I get kicked off-line. I was thinking of switching over to a g-router that is connected via Cat-5e cable hoping it would give me a stronger, more stable connection so I could play SOCOM online. Do you guys think this type of router would give me the stronger more stable connection I need, or is there something else you would recommend?

2. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

What is the brand/model of your router?

3. Dark_Knight7096

Dark_Knight7096 Not Vengance!

Its a Belkin pos, I bought it cause it was real cheap and it worked real good for about three weeks. I'm thinkin maybe my problem is cause the router I bought was real cheap.

4. scowan007

scowan007 memberrific!!!

5. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

/Most/ wireless routers also have rj45 ports to plug your PCs into the router via cat5, if your router doesn't have these ports then you're at the mercy of re-arranging your PCs or the router. Try moving the router to a different location, sometimes a simple shift of the router or antenna can make a significant change to the signal strength. If you have ethernet ports just get a cat5 cable and plug it in.

Walmart sells the linksys I want to say WRT54G wireless routers for pretty cheap, $60 or $70, that also has the ethernet ports so you can directly connect the ones you need but still have wireless. The "speedboost" stuff really isn't needed for the average home users as there is rarely any bottlenecks inside your network.

I doubt a better router would help your wireless signal strength much, it may, but I wouldn't count on it. -dok

6. IndyGunFreak

IndyGunFreak

Is there any way to run CAT 5 cable? To me, thats really the way to go if you're having signal issues(not to mention wired is way way more secure). Games are typically pretty bandwidth heavy, so if you're having signal issues, its not going to help matters.

I connected two units(Xbox, Main PC) in the Attic, 2 on the main floor(Both PCs). Ran the cable wire to the modem in the attic, and CAT 5 to the various devices, in probably not more than 2hrs total. It is really easy, and if you have either a crawlspace, or unfinished basement, I wouldn't waste anymore time stressing about it, and get a wired router. Unless you're actually using the Wireless(ie, a Laptop), it shouldn't be that big a deal. If you don't have ethernet ports(which I presume is why you're using the USB ports) I'd buy a couple ethernet cards. They only run about 20 bucks each and are about as difficult to install as a light bulb.

Ethernet cards...
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/category/category_slc.asp?CatId=200&

Any wired major brands router/firewall , will probably be pretty good, but I've been very plesed with my Netgear FVS114 Prosafe VPN Firewall... Good firewall, has provided reliable connections to everything connected (now consists of 2 PC's, and 1 Xbox). I'd recommend it if its feasible.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=1527514&sku=N100-2044

Good luck

IGF

7. kAr

kAr Netware Rocks!

Make sure your not using a 2.4 GHz portable phone in your house, that could cause the problems you describe. Microwave ovens are also sometimes a problem, but it would only be an intermittent one (when the microwave is operating.)