close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help with Windows

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by switch625, May 13, 2006.

1. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

A couple days ago I started having problems with Windows XP closing. When I type a site in the address bar the site will come up but I also get a Windows box saying "Windows has encountered an error and needs to close" with the option of sending an error report to MS.

I haven't downloaded anything, update and run Norton nightly, ran Adaware scan, deleted cookies and temp internet folders. What gives? Suggestions/comments welcome.

2. Roddy

Roddy

Did you recently download a Windows update? I did and it killed all my Microsoft programs. I'm still looking for a cheap way out of it,

3. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

I bet $100 if you call microsoft they'll tell you to reload the program.

That seems to be their fix for everything.

4. Angel Of Death

Angel Of Death Wrenches/BMWs

If they even provide support for an 8 year old operating system.

Not busting your balls dude on purpose, but that is an old computer. :frown:

5. Blacklabelglock

Blacklabelglock

I know they start off thier conversations with , further help with this thier might be a charge .... sucks ! I have been having problems after a update. I get red X's in some pics when I go to the web sites. ??:upeyes:

6. PeterJasonMN

PeterJasonMN ****

All the help you need is right here:

[​IMG]

Or XP Home if you so desire.

7. nosuchagency

nosuchagency @ you in tohoscope...

did you try a system restore? m.e. has the feature and it may be worth a shot. +1 on upgrade to xp pro.

oh yeah, quit buying guns and get a modern pc too...:alien:

8. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

Whoops, I'm running XP. ME was my first computer. I have my system set to automatically download updates. I did download the latest critical update after the problem started hoping it would fix it, and nada.

9. doktarZues

doktarZues I'm anti-anti

It's likely that the windows install is damaged, and you will need to do a system restore, recovery, or install windows again from scratch. You might want to try reinstalling internet explorer, in start-control panel-add remove programs-windows components- uncheck internet explorer, click next, reboot, go back after reboot and repeat except put the check back in internet explorer. You can also try downloading firefox, its the most popular browser competitor to internet explorer, a lot of people actually prefer it. gl, -dok

10. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

This is part of what I posted on the tech site here yesterday.

.....I got a MS update (notify and I install setting) and after installation a restart message kept appearing. I kept selecting it and no restart. Went to start/restart and nothing. Ended up just holding the on/off button till it shut down. A while later the screen started fluttering (have comcast and thought it was the rain and wind) but eventually it quit. Everything happened after the MS download.

11. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

12. Roddy

Roddy

Well let me kow if you hear anything. I know Microsoft has recognized the problem and I think it had something to do with an incompatable mother board or the wrong drivers for it or something. There was a fix it yourself guide on their webpage but it seemed very complicated for the average computer user.

I have my Windows XP Home running but I can't access a lot of my computer or use many of the Microsoft programs without it shutting down. I have to use Opera as an internet browser and Winamp as a media player.

13. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

I have XP. I waited almost a year before installing SP2 because of all the problems it had. The last 2 updates I installed were on 5-12 and were:
    KB 890830 and KB 913580.
    They were both loaded correctly. I googled them but even though I can interpret their meanings, I have no idea where to go with that information. I hope that makes sense.
    In control in add & remove I found "windows installer 3.1 KB893803 near the top, not with the others at the bottom so I removed it.
    Nothing seems odd with mine now except I may have installed another search bar by accident (yahoo appears from nowhere), and any page I go to I have to maximize the page. The arrows won't move it. It's probably a simple adjustment, and may of been the storm causing the problems.

14. BOB THEDOG

BOB THEDOG Member me?

I'll tell you from experience that it may not be software related.

BSODs can also be caused by a bad motherboard. They dont last forever and if I had a nickle for every bad motherboard I've replaced over the years....well I'd have a bunch of nickles.

What type of system is it?

15. Generalcarry

Generalcarry NRA Member

XP Home Edition
    Service Pack 2
    Intel (R)
    Pentium R 4CPU 1.70 GHz

16. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

With such old hardware, you're better off downgrading to Win98 ver. 2. ME was a steaming pile based on win98, and not an improvement.

17. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

It's not an old system, bought it from Dell a few months ago. No other problems. I'm going to remove Windows and reinstall it to see if that helps.

18. wheezy

wheezy

19. 10 Ring Tao

10 Ring Tao Red White Blue

Heh, a wee bit of difference between ME and XP.

20. freepatriot

freepatriot Retired GT Mod Moderator

:threadmoved: to the Tech Talk forum, maybe some of the brainiacs over here can help you out, Switch.

I think you may have picked up a virus or something. A nice clean reinstall of XP might be just what the Dr. ordered.

:patriot: