close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help with Truck Electrical Question

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Garlic, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Garlic

Garlic Farmsteader

Hello BrainPool-

I have a 95 Chevy Diesel 2500 pickup yard truck. Over the last couple of days, I have lost, progressively, the headlights (high beams still work), the dash illumination, and now my rear brake/parking/backup/and license plate lights and turn signals. All the fuses are still good. Also, had a trailer hooked up today, and its turn signals and brake lights DID work.

Can someone point me in a direction to get started solving this my self? This is a truck that is registered as AG and I don't want to put much into this. Thanks in advance!

2. Fixxer

Fixxer Got ointment?

I'm not 100% sure of your particular truck, but I think that there might be a braided ground strap either between your engine (by the starter / transmission bell housing) and the frame, or the negative battery cable and the frame.

If so, these straps corrode and turn into powder sometimes.

Worth a look anyway.

Another thing you might try if you are handy with a meter (and have one) is to set it to voltage, connect the black lead directly to the battery minus, and probe the (light, for example) while it should be on.

If you measure voltage at both terminals on the light, then you have an open ground somewhere.

3. fatfred

fatfred

There is a relay in a panel under the dash above your left foot. This relay controls the always on headlights and other lighting functions. I removed the one on my 97 2500 and put in a jumper since it turned off the low beams when I removed the relay.

4. vafish

vafish

Any time you have weird electrical problems in a car and unrelated things not working check your grounds.

I had a 1988 S10 Blazer, wife drove it most of the time, that was doing all sorts of weird stuff, turn signals not working, high beams and low beams working backwards to the indicator. It went on for a couple of months and I couldn't figure it out.

Then the wife and I decide to go on a long trip and I figured I'd install the old CB in the car. In the process of wiring it in I connected the ground wire to the same point the dash board ground wire connected. The dashboard ground wire was loose. I installed the CB and didn't even think about it until we were driving down the road and my wife noticed that everything was working correctly.

Check your grounds, not only the ones in the engine compartment but also the ones under the dash.