close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help With Mexican White Cheese

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Point Blanks, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Point Blanks

Point Blanks

I just LOVE ordering chips with white cheese dip at various Mexican places.I have tried several times and several different types of white cheese sold in blocks but cannot get it to melt.

I have tried on the stove and microwave with no sucess :(

Most of these blocks run $5 or so and i just end up trashing them after failing to get them to melt.I have mixed some milk with cheese also....no luck.

Anyone know the secret to melting a block of Mexican white cheese or am i using the wrong type??

Thx..

2. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

My daughter say's there is Mexican melting cheese, and regular Mexican cheese. She uses a Mexican cheese sauce called Crema that comes in a jar, and thinks that might be what you have eaten before. She thinks that if it is the melting cheese, it is probably mixed with some amount of sour cream to give it a smoother consistency. Dunno...not much help huh?

3. noway

noway

yeah you need to get the white soft cheese. Queso Blanco and use that for your chips. Go to a mexican foods distributors and look in the refrig section and you will surely fine it. It always available along with the chorizos ;)

4. Point Blanks

Point Blanks

Mucho Thanx'o fellers!!

5. jawjaboy

jawjaboy Casual lead ho

NOPROBLEMO. Did we help amigo?

6. G22-Joe

G22-Joe I C Red People

Crema is a Mexican style Sour Cream. It is very runny, and some have a very high content of either table salt, or kosher salt. The kosher salt style being the better style.

The Cheese for melting is Queso Blanco. Look at the Mexican stores for it, and make sure it is fresh and soft. Some are old, and can be very hard. The best way to melt it IMHO is with a cast iron skillet and some oil in the oven. I found that the stovetop does not proved the heat on all sides that you need to melt the cheese. I use a small cast iron skillet ("6") and use a chili oil that I made myself (Dried Habaneros and dried Red Chiles soaked in extra virgen olive oil, used old tequila bottle, let it sit in dark area for about a year).

The only issue with melted Mexican cheese is that fact that it seems to return to its normal state once it cools. That is why I use cast iron, as it retains heat. If its for a party, get 3-4 nice red bricks, and wrap each one in foil. Warm them in the oven for awhile, place them on top of a good cutting board, and place the skillet on top of them. That will keep the cheese runny longer. You can keep extra bricks and cycle them out if you need too.

P.S. I use the bricks for many other dishes as well, especialy Thanksgiving and Christmas. The poor man's chaffing dish. (I can't spell chaffing?)

Hope this helps.

7. noway

noway

G22-joe has it right , a cast pot is the best way to go. Don't waste you time with these stainless or aluminum cookware. Most don't provide equal heat and you will 8 out of 10 times burn the cheese due to the fact of most people trying to heat the cheese at a higher temp.

For my Queso Blanco nacho dip I use fresh fine chop Jalpeno & onions or habaneros and poblanos. Either one of these dried makes good flavoring and adjust for your acquire heat and taste.

8. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

We have a large Hispanic population here so we can get Queso Blanco at Food Lion, Lowe's Foods and Wally World in addition to all the Mexican speciality stores.

If you go to a Mexican specialty store, see if they have Lucas Limon. It is a salt with lemon. Out of this world on cucumbers and wonderful in salsa ;)

[​IMG]