close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help with internet connectivity (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Drjones, Apr 16, 2006.

1. Drjones

Drjones

Here's the situation:

I have high-speed internet with a Linksys wireless router.

Connected directly to the router via a hardline cable is a laptop with Win98. The internet on this laptop works perfectly.

(Usually) connected wirelessly is another Dell laptop with WinXP. Internet no longer works on this laptop. I've connected it directly to the router, moved it right next to it, etc. and no internet. It keeps saying "acquiring network address" and fails to do so, regardless of whether it's connected via hardline or wireless.

About a week ago, the internet completely stopped working on BOTH laptops, so we had the provider come out. Whatever they did, they fixed the internet....sort of...

For a while, BOTH laptops were hummin' along just fine, and now all of a sudden, a few days ago the WinXP laptop simply will NOT connect.

Here's what I think the issue might be, but I'd like other input as to potential issues:

You have to register your PC's MAC address with the provider before it can connect to their network. I used the router's "Clone MAC" feature in order to get the wireless router working, and both laptops were working perfectly and have been for at least a year with this exact configuration.

Is there some way for them to block the other computer from getting onto the internet, since the MAC address of the WinXP machine is not registered? It doesn't make sense to me, because it goes through the router, but what do I know...

YES, I called Linksys tech. support and the Indian guy on the other line was being a big jerk and was NO help at all.

Any ideas, please??

Thanks!!!

2. Drjones

Drjones

Can anyone even take a stab at the issue?

Thanks!

3. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

I wonder if it has anything to do with last Tuesday's Windows XP updates.

4. HAVOC

HAVOC Remember CLM Millennium Member

You are right. The MAC of any IPs behind the router are not available to your ISP's network.

My first guess is the router has issues. I have had a couple with a tendency to overheat. Unplug it before you go to work and plug it back in when you get home. See if it works, even for a while.

If BOTH PCs had both just up and died at the same time, and hadn't worked via ethernet but not WiFi, I might suspect something with your ISP's MAC filter or maybe even your cable modem.

Does the modem have lights on it? Does it look to be connected to the network? Can you get to the router's configuration screens via ethernet? If you can't even hit the router's internal web pages, which I gather you can't, as your PCs get stuck while trying to get an address.

You could try hard IPing your laptops into the range the router LAN port is in (typically 192.168.1.xxx) and see if you can get to it that way. Maybe it's DHCP server is toast.

FInally, try using the firmware reset button on it to see if you can get into it in it's default, as-shipped state. If you still can't, then you're router is tango uniform.

If you CAN get into the router's configuration, first thing is to check in the "Status" page and see if it's getting an address from the ISP. Hit "DHCP release" and then "DHCP renew" and see if it can get an address. If it gets an address that looks vaguely like your public IP set, but you still can't get online, then... umm... hmmm... if this happens post back, cuz now it's getting funny. If it comes up with 0.0.0.0 or 192.something or 10.something or any other private IP string, probably with no DNS server entries, then it's not connecting to your ISP's network and you should take it up with them. Some modems will let you browse http://192.168.100.1/ and get some useful info on your network status. Some don't. But if your router looks to be working, and no internet, it's a place to start.

5. Drjones

Drjones

Thanks for your post.

Perhaps my first post was unclear.

Here is what's currently happening:

The laptop that is connected directly to the wireless router via an ethernet cable is working perfectly.

The other laptop that usually connects wirelessly is NOT able to get on the internet. I've also tried plugging that laptop directly to the router with an ethernet cable, and it still will not work.

I've done the ipconfig/release and /renew many times, but the laptop will NOT acquire an IP address.

I guess what I'll do next is use the router's reset button and see what that does.

So again, any idea why the one laptop would work, but not this other one?