Need help with G34 Gen5

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Paul73, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Paul73

Paul73

Hi,

Here is my new build I need help with - done on top of the existing properly working G17.

G34 complete slide is brand new. It has no cutoffs on the top - solid slide, looks same as G17 gen5, only longer. Spring and rod part is identical to one in the G17 - has a mark 13 on it.

The question is for the owners of a similar gen 5 G34 guns - do you have an issue with 115gr ammo?
    I took gun to the range today to test it and setup sights. Took 'venom' rounds with me -
    http://www.medefence.net/ - those are supposed to be 115gr.

So, what happened is this - the slide would eject shells fine - but, the cartridge would not load in properly in about of 50% shots - it looked like slide was not able to push the cartridge into the barrel completely, so, it would be needed in most cases to manually pull slide all the way back, shake the cartridge out and manually reload. partially loaded cartridge would be sitting at some angle toward the barrel but not in it.

I went over 2 mags like that, then dismount the leupold red dot scope to remove that weight. It improved the situation somewhat, bringing issues rate down from 50% to 30%-20% underloaded cartridges.

So, the question is - among those Gen5 G34 - is it an expected common issue for 115gr loads to be insufficient to properly cycle the weapon? The obvious solution is to try 124gr and heavier loads - but - i was intending to use this as a competition gun and it would be very nice to make it work with 115gr loads with no issues.

Also, during that ordeal i removed G34 slide, placed on G17 slide - it cycled with no issues, i ran 2 mags of those venom rounds through it. I then took spring out of G17 slide and placed it into G34 - got no improvement of the issue, it would still get stuck on the reloading step same way. This G17 slide was may be through 400-500 rounds so far - so, it is fairly new too.

Range folks suggested several things - one was a hypothesis that may be my right hand grip is too loose for long barrel G34 and that messes up recoil force and a reload cycle - i will test that.
    Other thing - OBVIOUS - was to use heavier loads. i will test it too. only others i have now are 'red army' 124gr. they used to be fine in sigs and glocks i have - will see.

Then, as I would really want this gun to take same rounds i use just fine with the G17 - cheap 115gr ones - we talked about ideas of replacing spring with a more stiffer one - that i am not so sure how to proceed with. I know of this product
    https://www.glockstore.com/Wide-Diameter-Recoil-Springs?quantity=1&color=1&custcol7=99
    but not sure which one to choose.
    also I am not sure if it makes a lot of sense to do at all - so - i wanted to post it here in a hope that i am not a first one getting similar issues with a G34.

PS. I am fully aware that 'venom' is an absolute junk - do not punish me for that - but - i was totally out of ammo, so, i got a 500 of those, 50c each, to waste. G17 used to eat them fine, anyway.

G34 MOS DP_Pro_2.5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Buckshot Barry likes this.
  2. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

15 or 16 lb. rsa should help

3. Paul73

Paul73

so, that is what i am lost on... the stock spring is 17lb.

you say i need to use 15lb spring - a weaker one, to let slide to move more backward? the range folks were saying otherwise - to get a stiffer spring, so it would push in harder.

which product is the correct replacement of a stock spring there? one i posted above for the tungsten rod, of this one?

https://www.glockstore.com/Flat-Wire-Recoil-Springs

i can, for what it takes, to order both 15lb and 20lb, but, it would be probably better to know what is correct resolution for the issue here.

4. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Looking at Venom ammo, I don't see a break down of 115 gr and 124 gr. It's just says 370 mps which equates to 1213 fps and a power factor a tic over 139 for the 115 gr. I'd say it should run, even with the RMR and the no cutout slide, on a 139+ PF. I wonder if the 124 gr is also 1213 fps which would put that at +P and a PF of 150. That should definitely run it. If it's ejecting fine, it isn't short stroking which can keep the slide from going into battery. Curious as to what kind of barrel it is? Rereading your OP, my first instinct is a barrel issue. Only thing that would void that thought is if it's an OEM barrel.

Paul73 likes this.
  5. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Don't waste your $$ on a 20lb spring for a G34...the stock, OEM spring is almost too stiff as that gun will stove pipe with a poor grip.

What barrel is in the 34?

Paul73 likes this.
  6. Paul73

Paul73

hi, the barrel is glock, matching numbers with the slide - bnge9xx. new one, i got it from the dealer, it was visibly new.
    venom stuff is known to range, they do not 'like' it. where it is sold - online - it states it as a '115' ammo.
    looking at the barrel and comparing it with g17 barrel - i am unable to see anything obviously wrong. which does not mean there is NOTHING wrong there - who knows.

7. Paul73

Paul73

so, should i order a 15lb spring? this one?

ps. it is almost impossible to have a poor grip on this gen5 frame with a beaver tail - it fits hand perfectly. but, i never had such long barrel guns, so, not sure what to expect. may be my grip is indeed too loose.

8. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

It seems to me that if it loads the first round from slide lock or just pulling from a closed slide then the problem is the added mass during recoil. How far do the empties cases go? If there dribbling out fairly close then a lighter rsa. If there going into the next county go heavier.

Paul73 likes this.
  9. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

OK, rule out the barrel. If you can do it, safely, put a couple rounds in a mag, insert the mag, and chamber a round off the slide stop lever and see if it goes into battery...don't sling shot it.

Paul73 likes this.
  10. Paul73

Paul73

i am not sure.

it is a fairly new gun overall. the mag itself, i notices - the gen 5 new glock mag seems to have a much stiffer spring - i always load with no tools, so, i felt it was VERY stiff as i loaded new mags - those are all 10 rounds as i am in MA.

i have several old 17 round ones, but took only one with me. i did not do a proper check if most issues with loading happen on the new mag, but, i think it is also possible.

all in all - i really want this G34 to work, as i really like how it fires and how accurate it is - so, i do want to sort it all out.

i need to look at it more and take some pictures, but, the thing that struck me today was a feel that a round was 'in' - the ejector on the side was popped, as if round is in, the slide was looking as it is all the way back in, the trigger was cocked, but, it would not move. as it was an unusual situation for me i did not capture all the details properly, i think, but, will try again tomorrow.

it is a mass of the slide indeed - same what range guys told me - unbolt the red dot. it immediately improved after that.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  11. Paul73

Paul73

manually it always works perfectly fine. i did not feel any obstructions. reload felt smooth, it was not getting stuck. gun was wiped clean before range and oiled. should have moved fine. again - like i said - g17 slide moved fine, and it is not that much heavier than a g34 - so, that is why i am now frustrated so much, it was almost $1k for leupold and a slide and now all this.

12. tango44

tango44

That ammo is crap, simple as that!

13. thewoods868

thewoods868 thewoods868

Extractor is what you mean right?

14. Paul73

Paul73

crap it is, but, g17 slide was eating it fine.

15. Paul73

Paul73

sorry, i lost my way of thought there. i guess, yes.

all in all i just wanted to make sure if other customers with Gen5 G34 have no issues with a weaker 115gr ammo. If it is a known issue and the 124gr is the lowest limit - i amnot going to love it, but, I can accept that, I guess. It is just so odd.

16. Buckshot Barry

Buckshot Barry

Are you using the same RSA for the 17 and 34 slide?

if not use the 17 RSA on the 34 slide. This is assuming they are the same part #

17. Paul73

Paul73

the RSA is the same part in both. as i stated - G17 went over 400-500 rounds in its life so far, so, after first set of jams i took out RSA from G17 and placed it into G34 presuming (may be) it was beaten up enough already to be softer - with no difference to the rate of the issue. only diff happened when i unbolted the scope- to prove it was the weight of the slide.

so, i sent a lot of replies by now - the consensus is to try the 15lb spring?

PS. according to all the data i google/read in parallel right now - G17 and G34 are supposed to be acting absolutely identical and use identical parts for almost everything. and it should work with 115gr ammo. it is getting quite frustrating.

18. Toocool45

Toocool45

I would guess its too stiff a recoil spring too. But you are dealing with a gen 5 model 34. It looks like that recoil spring is a flatwire spring. It looks like a gen 1 - 3 recoil spring set up. Gen 4, and Gen 5 models have different recoil spring set ups. Check it out.

-JCN- likes this.
  19. Paul73

Paul73

I just ordered this one:
    i guess it should be the correct one? i tried to call them, but, no one picks up and chat is not working, covid staff shortages, i guess... :(

20. Paul73

Paul73

damn. after i ordered - spring.jpg i took the damn part out and it is NOT looking as a flat wire to me.