close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help with Drum brakes.

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Crazy_Horse, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

Specifically Jeep Wrangler drum brakes. Yesterday i pulled the drums off to inspect the shoes, i didnt touch anything other than the drum itself to remove it. I put the drums and the wheels back on the jeep and everything seemed fine on the test drive. Today i drove the jeep about 6 miles and the drums have tightened up and are HOT. The smell of burning brakes and it being hard to drive was my first clue. What caused this and will just backing the adjustment gear back a little solve this problem? There are no previous problems with the rear drums either.

2. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Let's start with the basics. Did you step on the brake pedal while the drum was off? Is the parking brake off? Did you actuate the parking brake with the drum off? Did any hardware get bumped while the drum was removed/installed?

If the answer to all of the above is NO, then start by backing the adjusters off until you get SLIGHT drag when the brakes are cool.

3. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

Did you put the drums back on the same side they came off.
    Take them off again and make sure nothing is screwed up.
    Then I would try to adjust them. This is how I do it on my trailers. Jack the tire off of the ground and tighten the brake adjuster while spinning the wheel occasionally. When the brakes lock up the wheel and you can't spin it anymore you have centered the shoes in the drum. Now back off the adjustment wheel until the wheel spins with only a slight dragging noise. This is right about where you want them. Make sure both wheels are backed off the same number of clicks.

4. Steve0853

Steve0853

HB, you needed to tell him about releasing the little thing on the adjuster that will let it spin backwards. The technical term eludes me, but if he don't push that release away from the wheel, he will waste many curse words trying to get the brakes to loosen enough to spin that wheel.

5. Hummerbike

Hummerbike

Thats how you learn, right?

6. beatcop

beatcop

Good advice above.

I find that if you can pull the drum off "easily", without backing off the self adjuster, you should have no problems wher reinstalled. The shoes only go out when you hit the brakes or use the self adjuster.

Spin wheel and turn self adjuster and get back to us.

I have seen the brake freeze up due to collapsing brake lines that let pressure get to brake, but won't allow it to bleed down the pressure.

If you fill the master cylinder to the tip-top you can end up with dragging brakes also.

7. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

The answer to all of your above questions is no, i did not.

Yes the drums went back on the same side.

Ok, so here is the situation as it sits right now. It seems the front drivers side rotor was stuck as well as the rear drums. The drivers side rotor is a little blue (indicating high temp). I let the jeep sit for a couple of hours to cool off with intentions of backing the adjuster back a couple of notches. It is a 5 speed by the way. I got in the truck to take the parking brake off to do the adjustments and it rolled like the drums were free. Weird right? So i pressed the brake and started her up and as soon as i started it they tightened up again. I shut the engine off and they let go. Started it up again and they are just fine now. I have driven about 4 miles since then and have attempted to recreate the problem with negative results. I am not sure what caused this but it seems to be resolved. Im stumped.

8. Paul53

Paul53 Authorized SKYNET Distributor.

Zombies messing with your brakes! Bad sign!

9. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

I had my passenger side front caliper stick on my wrangler. I just went ahead and did a total front end brake job from the soft lines forward. Lines, calipers, pads, and rotors on both sides. $200 or so.

I adjusted the rear drums so that I could barely slide the drums off and on with slight drag.

10. Gonzoso

Gonzoso

What year is your jeep?

While it seems your problem has "resolved" be wary of your brake lines if it's over ten years old depending on where you live.

In 2009 I had a wheel cylinder blow out 400 miles from home. I rebuilt the entire rear drums with tools in my Jeep, the emergency jack and some cinderblocks I found.

Then 2 months later a had a brake line blow out from corrosion. I replaced all brake lines and found they just crumbled when I removed them.:wow:

11. toshbar

toshbar Timber Baron

How many times did you replace your brake fluid in that jeep?

I bet I know the answer.......:whistling:

12. Crazy_Horse

Crazy_Horse

1999 and its been in south Florida since i bought it brand new.

13. AZ Jeff

AZ Jeff

Have you changed the brake fluid every 3-5 years? In a humid environment like FLA, that is pretty essential for proper brake system performance and life.

14. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

A brown recluse probably crawled into the drum when you had it pulled looking at the brakes.