close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help with camera for daughter.

Discussion in 'Through-the-Lens Club' started by repete34, Sep 8, 2004.

1. repete34

repete34 In God I trust

My 16 year old daughter wants to learn photography. What would be a good point and click camera? Thanks

2. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

One of the $250-$300 pocket digital cameras, either from Canon or Olympus (there may be others, I am sure, but I am not familiar with other brands). Check www.dpreview.com and www.steves-digicams.com.

3. G17-jimmy

G17-jimmy

my first camera was a used canon a-1 35mm. I was 15 and this developed a great hobby that carried me through high school, and college. I photographed for the school newspaper and yearbook during highschool and college. During HS I got great experience, and learned how to work with light and exposure to get the shot in all situations.

In college this had GREAT benefits, I got to go to all of the football games(on the field), all of the concerts(front row), and pretty much access to more stuff than you would think of. And that's not even mentioning the grant money I got, that I didn't have to pay back. It wasn't much, but it helped.

It really depends on what you daugther is interested in. If she is at all interested in learning *photography* I would recommend a good manual type canon or nikon or anything of the type. The A-1 is a good combination of manual and auto, it has autoexposure ability, but can go completely manual as well. I'm sure there are som good books, I don't know any off the top of my head but this is a great hobby to be in.

JC

4. itgoesboom

itgoesboom

If she really wants to learn photography, and I mean really learn it. Not just learn how to click a shutter, but learn the art, the science, than I would recommend getting a fully manual 35mm camera, a 50mm lens, and start her off on B+W film.

The best way to learn to photograph.

Thats the way I started, and it has helped me immensly in my career as a photographer.

I.G.B.

5. muscles

muscles CLM

if i were you, id go with the canon a75 or a80. both are small and portable, but have full manual funcions as an option. this will give her the opportunity to learn ap & shutter controls as well as ISO settings. film is the ideal learning method, but could end up being very costly.

6. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

Big and bulky SLRs she won't carry with her everywhere. Small pocket camera she will. Shooting a lot and being able to quickly shoot what you want and then process it on a PC at home will teach her more than learning a black art of developing ancient celluloids, not to mention it will give her more fun. Without fun she will give up.

Frankly, I don't see at all how film would be better these days to learn photography than digital. Having shot film for 30+ years before, I did go through the stage where I was apprehensive about digital, but now all my film cameras gather dust. Except for very special uses, film is dead. It's time to accept it.

7. muscles

muscles CLM

i agree...this is why i suggested the canon a75 or a80. both are small point and shoot camera's and can utilize "full auto" mode. however, they also have manual settings that can be used if she wants to learn about aperature, shutter speed, iso , meter mode, & white balance. both take great photo's and are small. another option is the canon s410. i recently bought it, and love it. with its small size comes some comprimises: no manual aperature or shutter adjustments. i also have a canon 10d(digi slr) and you are right...she wont wanna haul it around.

film tends to teach you alot more because you have to make a concious effort to remember what settings you were shooting on. the trial and error period can be frustrating with film, and as a result, i think you pay more attention to your compositions and settings. however, i dont think this is the route to go for most...

8. Ducman

Ducman

I would go digital over film,
    For me, since I am still learning. I need the instant feedback of digital to let me know what I dud right or wrong

Start with a point and shoot digital that allows manual, as other has mentioned. As she learns and becomes better. She can set up to a Dslr or even go back to film

I started with an Olympus C4000 which I still have and still use along side my D70

9. hwyhobo

hwyhobo

To me that is part of the problem. Back in the days when I was learning photography, I carried a journal where I would write in the settings for each photograph I took. Who would possibly want to do that today when you can have EXIF records? I wouldn't. I agree it was fun, in a way, sort of like learning magic tricks, but that sort of novelty wears off. I am now a strong proponent of going digital right from the start because it provides ability to have much more feedback from one shooting session than film, and that translates ultimately into better composition skills and better subject selection. That, to me, is 90% of photography. Understanding the vagaries of light and exposure comes with time and experience, and the medium used is not going to shorten that time.