close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help with bad sector in XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by WolfmanGK, Sep 23, 2004.

1. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

I have several MP3 files on this computer, and when I have gone to play 3 particular ones, the hard drives locks up and the computer essentially freezes up. I hear the HD making its "I'm trying to find the data" noises, which inidcates a bad sector, or phyiscal flaw on the HD. It is a 20 gig laptop HD that has been replace donce already. So, I run a full system scan/ attempt recovery of bad sectors, etc.

When I do, the computer automatically reboots when it gets to somewhere around 90% complete on phase 4. It will then scan again, until it gets to 90 something %, and then restart once again, and will continue to do this until I cancel the scan. If I could get it to finish the scan I could probably have the bad sector marked and not have to worry about it, but I can;t get it to complete. Are there any suggestions or hints you guys have?

2. NetNinja

NetNinja Always Faithful

bad sectors in XP? XP is pretty good at managing it's file system.
    Bad MP3 song.

How long have you let the scan run for?
    You may need to leave it for awhile.

Have you tried defragging first?

3. 308endurdebate

308endurdebate

Do a low level format, either in the bios, but most probably a utility downloaded from the manufacturers website. It will mark bad in the hard drive, and it will use spare tracks if available so as long as you don't have huge chunks of blocks bad, you shouldn't lose capacity. of course, then you have to reformat and reload....

-k

4. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

It is not a bad MP3. I deleted the MP3, and now completely different MP3s started doing it. As far as wiping everything out, I don't have a DVD writer on this computer. I suppose I could try and hook this hard drive up to the computer upstairs, but I have no idea where my 2.5" HDD to IDE converter thing is right now. I have not run defrag. As far as letting the thing run, I let it run for 4 hours last night. I don't stop it, it restarts on its own, and eventually restarts again to do the scan all over again.

5. stick430

stick430

6. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

I almost forgot. When it reboots the first time, it gives me the "Non system disk or disk error" error. Of course it always scares me, but if I restart from there it always boots again. What the hell is up with that?

7. WolfmanGK

WolfmanGK Super Plump

Gentlemen, behold! I slaved my 20 gig 9mm laptop hard drive to our newer HP computer (Which has been great, BTW) and ran the full system scan on it. The scan went perfectly, and just completed as I was typing this. I am now copying the laptop HD to my HP for a mirror/ backup. I can get a 60 gig laptop HD on the electric bay for 120 dollars, but I think a more reasonable drive would be a 40 gig, for 50 dollars, roughly. Anyway, thanks for making me go find the 9mm to IDE converters I had, and finally getting off my butt and fixing this. I may still have a few more years out of this lappy yet. (This is the 2nd hard drive on it haha)

Edit: I cannot copy the files to the HP hard drive. I keep getting the eror "Cannot copy file X, make sure the file is not read only (Or whatever it says) or the disk is full". Well the HP disk is definately NOT full, it has 96 gigs of space left. ANY ideas on what this is??