Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the wrong side of 70 and my whole body aches much of the time, especially legs and feet. There are days when it's quite painful to even walk. I've tried all kinds of so-called pain relievers, like Motrin, Advil, Tylenol, Aleve with "arthritis" formulas, and various over-the-counter creams and gels, without any real relief. Took glucosomine for months, saw no improvement.

Doctors and pharmacists I've talked to didn't offer any suggestions other than some prescription pills that I'd rather not take, given bad side effects.

I've heard of "Relief Factor" on the radio and was wondering if anyone has tried it, or if you have any other suggestions. Of course, there is no cure but just looking to ease the pain and be able to function more normally day-to-day.

Thanks and God bless all on GT!

·
Spewer of TROOF
9,706 Posts
My dad is your age and has all sorts of arthritis issues.

an expensive pair of shoes and orthotic insoles and a trip to the chiropractor once in a while really helped him

that’s all I got except for my hope that you can find something that works for you

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
I have some arthritis from an extremely active lifestyle. My doctor put me on Meloxicam.
Definitely helped. I added full spectrum CBD oil and “voila,”
no more pain. Took a couple of days but the pain relief is great.

There is a catch. Meloxicam does carry a small health risk and CBD oil can affect platelet
function. Do not take if you’re on anything that affects your ability to form clots such as Coumadin.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,934 Posts
You might need to consider the prescription pills if you want some kind of life. And be on the lookout for evidence the bad side effects. It took a couple of years for my wife's doctor to find the right combination that worked for her.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
CBD cream also works. I’ve had good luck with that. Avoid foods that promote inflammation as well. Avoid eating anything from solanine producing plants such as peppers and tomatoes.

Since you want to avoid prescription medication, I think CBD oil and a change in diet may be your best bet. Do some research with Dr. Google and try different things to see what works best.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Since 2008 been seeing rheumatologist. Your problem sounds like mine. I have psoriatic arthritis. Generally, my whole body hurts all the time. The meds they have available are what keeps me going. Before them I tried everything with little help.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
There are some new treatments out for a symptom called neuropathy. They use some kind of light source and aim it at your feet/foot/knee whatever. As I understand it, there is nerve damage and this may help reduce or repair the damage. I had a link for it but can't find it so I hope searching for the word will give you a link of some sort. Good luck and I honestly feel your pain.

·
Mentally Frozen
28,384 Posts
I think Westtexas gave good advise. I hurt every morning getting out of bed until i can get limbered up a little. So far I just take naproxin and once in awhile CBD oil.
Getting old sucks!

Reactions: Westexas

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Have you been evaluated for spinal stenosis or peripheral neuropathy?May be more than arthritis.
do you have leg cramps walking which resolve not immediately but after say 10-15 minutes? do you prefer to lean over a shopping cart in the supermarket?

Leave no stone unturned.

·
Matthew 25:31-46
3,934 Posts
Avoid all the internet magic cures. They just move money from your wallet to theirs. If any of them were any good they could link you to bona fide studies from medical researchers, not paid off bubbas.

·
Registered
21,713 Posts
Avoid all the internet magic cures. They just move money from your wallet to theirs. If any of them were any good they could link you to bona fide studies from medical researchers, not paid off bubbas.

^^^This^^^
They hooked my Dad pretty good with Omega XL. He saw it advertised on TV. When he did not get any relief from his back pain and wanted his refund, they told him it needed longer to work and sold him more pills. When that didn't work they told him the time limit on the refund was up.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis 40 years ago. I have taken many drugs over the years and some probably slowed down the damage to my joints. These days I take 5mg Prednisone daily and nearly the recommended limit of acetaminophen. Doc says my pain now is from old damage. I have learned to live with it. I choose what I want to do or not and deal with the pain.

·
Director of civil unrest
10,286 Posts
Cut out all breads, potatoes, rice and any other starches. Cut out all raw sugar and cut down on fruit sugar. There's more but it escapes me right now. Basically, go on the keto diet. Do this for one month as a trial. Do it or you'll never know the benefits of it. When I got on this diet, more my Wife's diet, one of the biggest changes was that my body quit hurting.
If you don't try it, you'll never know.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Considering there are over 100 different types of Arthritis alone, pinpointing the exact cause of the pain that's troubling you can sometimes be difficult, and that's why I'd suggest that at a bare minimum you see a dedicated Rheumatoid Arthritus doctor if you haven't already done so. I went through the gamut, and after enduring numerous tests it was determined that I have a particular form of severe RA. First I was prescribed the all time favorite, Prednisone, but the only thing it seemed to accomplish was to cause my back to break out in painful blemishes like I was a teenager who never bathed. Then it was on to the biologic Enbrel, then Enbrel plus Methotrexate (which is a chemotherapy drug normally taken in large doses as a cancer treatment), then lastly Humira plus Methotrexate. Enbrel and Humira are a class of medications known as "biologics" which work by preventing your body from fighting infection, which was the source of the swelling of my joints and the damage that was being done to them by my own body, as RA is an autoimmune disease.

Well, while I was gamefully employed I could afford top tier Blue Cross/Blue Shield medical coverage and with a copay card from the manufacturer the Humira only cost me $5 a month (two 40mg pens, injected 2x a month), but after my Cobra health coverage ended 18 months after being unexpectedly laid off, the cost for the Humira was prohibitive at the time - at $2,545 a month for those with no medical insurance.

Long story short I'm still miserable at times and have been "managing" without the biologics, which I wasn't particularly fond of anyway because a simple paper cut would remain painful for over a week and it would take 3 weeks to heal completely. I also have gout, and taking Allopurinol helps keep my Uric Acid levels where they need to be so at least I don't have that additional pain to deal with, which can be absolutely unbrearable.

I hope that you can find the source of what's troubling you and find a way of relieving your pain that doesn't do more harm than good or make you rely on or worse yet become addicted to heavy painkillers such as opioids.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts