Need help with an OLD 1970is Tasco Riflescope

Discussion in 'Sights, Optics and Lasers/Lights' started by Jerry, Nov 9, 2010.

1. Jerry

Jerry Millennium Member

I have a Tasco # 634V 3 X 9 riflescope that I bought 30 + years ago. The owner’s manual is long gone. I’ve never had a problem with the focus until now. My eyes are getting old and now that I wear glasses targets are getting a bit out of focus. Is there a way to adjust the focus?

I see a setscrew(?) right behind the power adjust ring and just in front of the Ocular bell / eyepiece. I’m thinking if I loosen it the eye piece can be rotated to adjust the focus but since the scope has never given me a bit of trouble I don’t want to just start turning screws without knowing what they are fore.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I would NOT recommend loosening any setscrews on a scope body. Every time I've done it, or seen it done, bad things have happened. Those screws usually hold internal parts in place, and I've never seen one that had anything to do with locking the focus of the eyepiece (and I had a bunch of those old Tasco scopes back in the day...).

Usually, there is a lock ring immediately in front of the eyepiece, and the eyepiece is snugged up against it to prevent it from moving and losing the focus setting. Sometimes this lock ring is tapered and finished to match the eyepiece so well that it looks like it is PART of the eyepiece.

I recommend grabbing the front edge of the eyepiece (the lock ring, hopefully) with one hand, the center-rear of the eyepiece with the other hand, and trying to unscrew the eyepiece with moderate amounts of HAND force (no tools). If it's really slick, you might try a piece of rubber or something similar to help your grip.

3. DJ Niner

Here ya go; pix worth a thousand words and all that...

Before unscrewing:

[​IMG]

After partial unscrewing and separation of the two parts:

[​IMG]

That's a junker Tasco I've had gathering dust in my closet for over a decade. The reticle broke one day while shooting my .22 (!), and its been in the "misc. medium gun parts basket" ever since. Date on the underside of the eyepiece indicates a '92 model; should be similar to yours, I would think.

4. Jerry

Jerry Millennium Member

DJ you Da Man. I had tried holding the knurled ring and turning the eyepiece but it didn’t feel like it wanted to move, like it was all one piece. After reading your post I pout some oomph on it. BINGO! I can see! I can see! :dancing:

Thanks for the help. :perfect10:

5. DJ Niner

Glad I could assist! :thumbsup:

Also glad that I finally found something useful to do with that junked scope. :supergrin: