Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
I have bad aim
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An ad was just posted on another forum. It is a Maddi Ak-47 from egypt with 2 mags and 100 rounds of ammo for $475. I offered $425. Are these good Ak's and is that a good price? Or do I save the cash and buy an Ar?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The early MADDI's are good. The later ones imported by CAI are not so good. Depends on who the importer is. What do you want the AK for?

·
Gunslinger
1,896 Posts
From the wording of your post... It almost sounds to me as though what you are really wanting is an AR. If that's the case... I wouldn't settle for a different type of rifle just to save a few bucks, or to get a new rifle in your hands a little bit sooner. You will likely be unhappy with your decision if you do that, and will still be wanting that AR when the newness wears off.
As far as the Egyptian AK's go... I haven't owned one, but having owned several AR's, and several AK's, I have found that I simply prefer the AK platform. So, if it were me, I would rather have the Egyptian AK than to spend even more money on an AR.
That being said, I'd probably just hunt for a lightly used Romanian SAR-1, and call it a day.

·
AK Fanatic
2,883 Posts
Maadis run the gamut of pricing, but are not generally recognized as refined AKs like the Arsenal guns. Believe it or not, one of the more expensive collector AKs are the first Egyptian guns that were imported by Steyr. They are relatively rare and all preban. Then you have the Maadis that were imported during the ban which are still excellent rifles. At the bottom of the pile is the last batch thrown together by Century that are half Egyptian and half Chinese. Stay away from them. As someone else asked, who is the importer for the gun you're considering buying?

·
AK Fanatic
2,883 Posts
We're not talking about WASRs, but rather Egyptian AKs. WASRs are Romanian. In fact, they are fully assembled in Romania. Some are converted to use hicap mags here in the US by Century and have the appropriate number of 922r parts added. Some of that work is pretty shoddy.
As for the Egyptian/Chinese abortions Century has cooked up...the workmanship on those has been horrible.
Now don't get me wrong, Century has hit home runs with some of their products like the Yugo AK, which are some of the best I have ever seen. But they have also made huge mistakes, like the putting 5.56 barrels in 5.45 AKs, poor welds on trunnion/receiver connections on HK clones, and bad workmanship on WASR hicap conversions.

·
AK Fanatic
2,883 Posts
Understand that not all Romanian AKs are WASRs. The SAR series of AKs are 100% Romanian that were never molested. Then there are Romanian AKs built with Romanian parts, an American receiver with many being excellent. Not also WASRs are a piece of crap either.
I have a WASR 2 (Romy AK-74) and a Romy G that are both excellent.

See what the markings are on your rifle and let me know.

·
AK Fanatic
2,883 Posts
It should be fine. Just look for any ill-fitting parts. AKs, even those put together poorly, are usually quite reliable. Look, even WASRs that have had their mag wells butchered, resulting in really loose mags, tend to still be good guns and function just fine. Besides, there is an easy fix for loos mags.

·
Registered
510 Posts
The mags fit well, without wobble. I don't want a piece of crap that is going to break, or worse blow up on me. I had no idea there were different kinds of ak's. On the quality, are we talking about jamming, stove pipes , FTF etc, or the gun blowing up me?

·
Timber Baron
4,157 Posts
The mags fit well, without wobble. I don't want a piece of crap that is going to break, or worse blow up on me. I had no idea there were different kinds of ak's. On the quality, are we talking about jamming, stove pipes , FTF etc, or the gun blowing up me?
The gun isn't going to blow up....

It's just the fit and overall finish of the gun: how well all the parts fit together, trigger feel, sight alignment......

I had a GP WASR like yours and it was 100% fine, except for the wood which I fixed in an afternoon with a refinish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts