close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help with a Yorkshire...yes, a yorkshire :)

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by Guod, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Guod

Guod

Can someone help me with housetraining a yorkshire. We found a young dog with no tags and no chip and so far been unable to locate the owner. We are preparing for the fact that we may end up stuck with the dog, since she is too sweet to take to a shelter, and has acclimated to our other pets and our home very well. The only problem is the housetraining, well and the fact she had no training at all, and seemed extremely neglected. We are a house of large dogs and cats. Large breed puppies seem to figure the thing out pretty quickly, so I am kinda stumped, and actually never thought we would ever have a "yippy" dog in the house.

From reading online it seems like housebreaking a yorkshire puppy is right up there with a manned mission to mars. And in fact, I remember that my sisters yorkie still goes in the house sometimes, so I guess she is useless for advice.

Right now, I am crate training her, and putting her in the crate whenever I cannot pay attention to what she is doing, but she is still making some messes here and there.(not in the crate)

So does anyone have any tips for housebreaking this dog? Since I don't know how long I will have her, I figure either way, I will start training it, even if it only ends up benefiting a dumb *** owner.

2. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Check the ask a trainer thread. There are a few things you need to do. The first thing and most important thing is a trick called "watch and confine". When you are at home but the puppy on a leash and secure the leash to your waist. The dog will go where ever you go. Watch the dog and you should se signs of when the dog is ready to go to the bathroom. If the dog starts, correct the dog and then take the dog outside. A couple things with the crate. First of all you should have no bedding in there at all! Nothing to soak up the messes. Secondly the crate should only be big enough for the dog to turn around in. You don't want to leave room for the dog to be able to pee in one corner and sit in the other. Again, check the ask a trainer thread. G20 goes into more detail there.

3. Guod

Guod

Thanks for the link. I have been trying out some of the things, and staying consistant with things I was doing already. She is doing much better, and I would say now doing her business outside 70% of the time. I am quite impressed with her now though, as the vet informed me yesterday that she is much younger than we had expected.

4. Tazlima

Tazlima

A side note...Don't worry about her being a small breed. They think and act just like large breeds and can be trained with the same techniques. They're also just as smart. A dog thinks like a dog, period.

The reason you see so many badly-behaved small dogs isn't because they're naturally dumber or meaner then large dogs. It's because there's a double standard. People put up with behaviors in a small dog that they wouldn't dream of allowing in a large dog. A little dog yips at people and runs after them "nipping" at heels and the owners think it's cute. If a rottie did the same thing someone would call the cops.

If you have large dogs and they're good family members, just use the same training methods on the yorkie and you'll be fine.

5. Bully4me

Bully4me

Terriers are territorial and the little ones think they are much larger. Expect yorkie will mark territory in house and outside if your other pets have urinated there already.

6. hotlunch

hotlunch

This may sound dumb but I know for a fact it works: Use paper towels to clean up her messes and then toss them out in the backyard where you want to train her to go. Also, take her out ON A LEASH often and take her straight to the pooping area where the paper towels are and tell her repeatedly to do her job. When she does go praise her alot. It's labor intensive at first but it pays off in the long run. Did this method with my Springer and literally never had to clean up after her again for 13 years!

I'm more of a big dog person now but I have a friend that has a Yorkie and they may be "yippy" but I would value that for the burglar alarm aspect. His Yorkie goes nuts and is very territorial and protective of the house and yes, she thinks she's as big as a Mastiff the way she rules the roost. Gotta respect that kind of attitude.

7. Blinky

Blinky Rocket Surgeon

Actually that is a great idea and it's used by a lot of trainers. You're doing two things with that. First of all you're using the dog instincts to your advantage. It's built into the dog to use the bathroom in the same spot. Also, by repeating the same thing over and over again, you're conditioning the dog or recognize that, that phrase = eliminate. The praise is key also.

Good job!

8. compassman

compassman

Have you contacted rescue group in the area and local York clubs? Are you keeping the dog? What is the estimated age? If she is old enough to be fixed, do ASAP. A breed specific rescue organization can be very helpful and will offer you great advise.

The dog should be immediately removed from the pack. All rescues when they are first brought in are separated from the pack. The are only allowed in certain parts of the house. They are started in crate training and test for any problems. A complete physical and mental evaluation is done. We have some basic tests. A dog found wondering can carry lots of "doggie diseases" that could infect your pack. If a lost dog is found we immediately take it to a vet. Specially if there is no tags and symptoms of neglect or abuse. If the dog is of age we set up a appointment for the dog to be fixed. specially before it enters a home of dogs. When introducing a dog to your pack always do it on neutral territory and then let the dog come home with you and the rest of the pack. We usually have our dogs meet at a race or playdate (fundraiser).

Keep us updated on the progress and if your keeping the dog.