Need help with a Buckmark

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by trainer44455, Oct 31, 2010.

1. trainer44455

trainer44455

I was given a 20 some year old 22lr Buckmark camper. Every other round or so light strike....gun doesnt fire.....suggestions ? I cant remove the two allen screws on top to field strip it either, they dont budge.Thanks

Last edited: Oct 31, 2010
  2. southGA

southGA

I'm no expert so bear with me. If a thread locker was used on the two screws on top you could remove the grips and stick in the oven for just long enough to heat up the gun and help break up the thread locker.

For the light strikes it sounds like the spring or firing pin is bad. I have a fairly new buckmark and when you dry fire the firing pin hits metal where it would normally hit the rim of a cartridge. This caused my firing pin to round over and resulted in me having to replace it.

Rimfire central is a great place for learning about anything rimfire. You might also be able to find someone local who can help with the screws. I had some stuck on a bolt action scope mount and a guy was able to drill them out and re-tap the holes for me. Good luck.

3. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Staff Member Moderator

I would NOT recommend putting it in the oven; the more recent Buckmarks have many parts that are made of plastic, including the front sight, rear sight, and rear sight base. There may be more plastic/polymer parts inside, and I'm not sure what year(s) the metal parts were changed-over to plastic. In addition, most ovens do not give accurate temperature readings at the low end of the settings, so you could be applying much more heat than you think.

You could try tapping on the screw by putting a properly-fitting wrench or small flat-nosed punch inside the screw head, and tapping it over and over again with a small hammer. When you do this, you're really not trying to "break" it free; more like vibrating it to loosen it.

As a last resort -- IF, and only if, the rear sight base AND rear sight is definitely made of metal, you might try holding a clean-tipped soldering gun's tip against the head of each screw for a short time, and then trying to remove the now-warm screw with the best-fitting hex wrench you can find. If the wrench fits loosely, you'll end up rounding it off and damaging the screw head at the same time.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  4. southGA

southGA

He stated it was older therefore it should have the metal sight base. Also at about 150 it should be fine. Just use common sense on the level of heat. We regularly use a torch at work to loosen bolts on our equipment. A lot of times its next to plastic, that's where the common sense comes in.

5. Delta-x

Delta-x NRA Member Silver Member

No oven or torch. If you absolutely have to remove the screws, hold a soldering iron on the head of the screws to break them free of the loctite.

Or you can spray it down with Gunscrubber , let it dry and apply a light oil to the action.

Your firing pin and extractor are probably gummed up.

My Buckmark has thousands of rounds through it, its a tough little 22.

Be careful if you remove the grips. They hold some parts in , that could be lost in the process.

Enjoy your Buckmark