Need help w/ XP

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by CodyBoy, Nov 8, 2005.

1. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

My windows XP has gone crazy.

Two days ago several of my wifes icons were missing along with some programs.
    All of her email stuff was gone as well.

I thought it may be a virus so I tried to install Norton. It wouldn't install and said I may have a Klez something or other. So I followed the instructions to DL a Klez removal tool from Norton. It found no evidence of a Klez. It then let me install Norton AV. I ran a complete scan of the computer and it found no virus. However the NAV I installed was a 2003 version with outdated definitions.

Before all this happened I DL and installed a MS antispyware beta program. It didn't find any spyware on the machine either.

Well last night while wife was trying to log on to Yahoo messenger, MSN messenger, and even her Hotmail, it said something to the effect of being behind a firewall and needed to go to CONTROL PANEL-SECURITY. and reconfigure it or something. Well there is no SECURITY where microsoft said it was.

So I uninstalled Norton and the antispyware but to no avail Hotmail and netpassport , MSN, Yahoo still doesn't work.

WTF(REAK) could be wrong with this machine? Last time it did something similar I just wiped it all out and reinstalled XP. I really do not want to do that.

There has to be a solution to this. Can someone please help.

The only firewall I have is my router. I can get to the internet fine as you can see and with the other computer behind the same router/firewall I can get into hotmail but just not with this computer.

Thanks Keg

2. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

Save your data and reinstall windows. That's the only safe way to go.

3. CodyBoy

CodyBoy

well I did half of it.

I reinstalled but didn't save anything.

Oh well

Thanks

4. DonL

DonL

You can make it easy on yourself by configuring the OS and installing all the programs that you use then get an imaging program like Acronis to make an image of everything. The next time you have a big problem just save all personal stuff and throw in image disk you made and all is back like fresh install with all your programs loaded.....ready to catch the next windows killer virus:)

5. glock19_fan

glock19_fan ... --- ...

+1

I use Acronis. It saves me so much time and effort. Totally worth the money. :cool: