close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help w/ secondary HD installation

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by TenMillimeter, Jan 20, 2006.

1. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

I'm trying to install a backup HD into my Dell 4700, and am unable to get the PC to recognize the new drive (in Disk Management). It's a Western Digital IDE which I have purchased a SATA converter for, since the original is a SATA. I know I have the correct jumper setting for slave on the new HD, since there is a diagram on it. However, the existing HD does not have a diagram. I have tried every jumper position, including leaving it out all together, to no avail.

Could I have a compatibility issue, or am I overlooking something simple?

Thanks

2. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

Dell's normally use "Cable Select" not Master and Slave.If you set the 2nd drive to "Slave" the other drive MUST be set to "Master".If both drives are set to "Cable Select" which normally the default these days they should work.

3. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

How do I set them to Cable Select?

As I mentioned, I tried every jumper setting on the Master, and it didn't work. I know it physically sees the Slave, because when I have its jumper in the wrong position, I get an error message during bootup.

4. Washington D.C.

Washington D.C.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/parts.htm#wp1053797

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4700/sm/index.htm

Drives 0 through 3

Identifies the drives attached to the SATA or PRI IDE connectors on the system board, and lists the capacity for hard drives.

Drive Controller

Sets the SATA controller operating mode.

Use the Normal option ATA native mode. Use the Compatible option for SATA/PATA combination mode.

Check step 12

Installing a Hard Drive

1. Unpack the replacement hard drive, and prepare it for installation.

2. Check the documentation for the drive to verify that it is configured for your computer.

3. Remove the hard drive bracket.

4. Attach the hard drive to the hard drive bracket:

1. Place the small bracket tabs into the drive-securing screw holes on one side of the drive.

2. Gently swing the drive toward the bracket and align the three screw holes on the other side of the drive with the screen holes on the bracket.

3. Attach the hard drive bracket to the hard drive.

4. Insert and tighten all three drive-securing screws.

5. Install the hard drive:

1. Place the two bracket tabs into the drive slots inside the bracket for the additional hard drive.

2. Swing the bracket forward so that it is flush with the bracket for the additional hard drive.

3. Replace the bracket-securing screws.

6. Connect a power cable to the drive.

7. Connect the data cable to the drive and to the system board.

8. Close the computer cover.

NOTICE: To connect a network cable, first plug the cable into the network wall jack and then plug it into the computer.

9. Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and turn them on.

See the documentation that came with the drive for instructions on installing any software required for drive operation.

10. If the drive you just installed is the primary drive, insert a bootable floppy disk into drive A.

11. Turn on the computer.

12. Enter system setup, and update the appropriate Drive option.

13. Exit system setup, and restart the computer.

14. Partition and logically format your drive before you proceed to the next step.

See the documentation for your operating system for instructions.

15. Test the hard drive by running the Dell Diagnostics (see the Owner's Manual).

16. If the drive you just installed is the primary drive, install your operating system on the hard drive.

Adding a Second Hard Drive
    CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions located in the Product Information Guide.
    CAUTION: To guard against electrical shock, always unplug your computer from the electrical outlet before opening the cover.
    NOTICE: To avoid damage to the drive, do not set it on a hard surface. Instead, set the drive on a surface, such as a foam pad, that will sufficiently cushion it.

1. Check the documentation for the drive to verify that it is configured for your computer.

2. Follow the procedures in "Before You Begin."

3. Remove the computer cover.

4. Remove the existing hard drive.

5. Remove the additional hard drive bracket from the computer:

1. Remove the bracket-securing screws for the additional drive.

2. Remove the bracket for the additional drive from the computer.

6. If you are replacing the additional hard drive, remove the drive from the bracket:

1. Remove the hard drive-securing screws.

2. Remove the hard drive from the bracket.

NOTICE: Ground yourself by touching an unpainted metal surface on the back of the computer.
    NOTICE: When you unpack the drive, do not set it on a hard surface, which may damage the drive. Instead, set the drive on a soft surface, such as a foam pad, that will sufficiently cushion it.

7. Install the additional hard drive:

1. Place the two bracket tabs into the drive slots inside the computer's front panel.

2. Swing the bracket forward so that it is flush with the computer's front panel.

3. Replace the bracket-securing screws.

8. Reinstall the existing hard drive into the computer in front of the additional drive.

9. Connect a power cable to the drive.

10. Connect the data cable to the drive and to the system board.

11. Replace the computer cover.

NOTICE: To connect a network cable, first plug the cable into the network wall jack and then plug it into the computer.

12. Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and turn them on.

13. See the documentation that came with the drive for instructions on installing any software required for drive operation.

5. Tom34

Tom34 Obama Must Go!

Have you tried the CD that comes with most all WD Hard Drives ??

The "Data Lifeguard Tools" CD.

I just put a WD HD in a Dell today. Added it as a second drive. I did have to go into the BIOS (F2) and "turn on" the second HD. I believe I changed the setting from OFF to AUTO.

Then popped in the CD. Installed the software. It "SAW" the unformatted drive, set it up. Piece of cake.

Good Luck.

6. TenMillimeter

TenMillimeter

My HD didn't come with a CD (I bought it well over a year ago).

I did have to go into BIOS and enable it.

My biggest overlook was that my new SATA/IDE adapter plug required power - I finally realized I had to plug the little pigtail from the power wire into the adapter jack, then it finally worked (with no jumpers in either HD).