close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help selecting a motherboard

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by DiverDn, Feb 12, 2007.

1. DiverDn

DiverDn Diver Down

I need a little help selecting a motherboard. I'll tell you what I currently have, what I plan to do with it, and some of the specs I know that I want.

The new parts I currently have:

Antec 900 case
    Antec 550HE power supply

I plan to use this system for photo/video editing, online classes through a Citrix connection, and home office work. Not into gaming much.

I know that I want to go with an Intel Core Duo chip, most likely an E6400 maybe an E6600 if I can find one on sale.

PCI Express grapics (grapics card suggetions are welcome also)
    2gb ram
    SATA hard drive (can you mix SATA and IDE in the same system?).

Thanks for any help.

edited for typos

2. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

If I were able to build right now I would probably go with the MSI 975X Platinum Power Up Edition. I really lean towards MSI lately as ASUS seems to let too many bad boards through quality control :(

Here is a review of 4 of the top Core 2 boards at Tom's Hardware:

MSI 975X

Throw in an ATI X1950 PCIe card and it will be a blazing system.

3. DiverDn

DiverDn Diver Down

RR,

Thanks for the link to Tom's, I had forgotten about them. I will take a close look at the MSI and the ATI.

Thanks again,
    John

4. RaiderRodney

RaiderRodney Just Win Baby

Np and good luck with the build. Nice case and power supply choice as well....love Antec stuff :)

5. najaboy

najaboy

The build I just put together was a bit costly, but more than worth it, especially when it comes to photo & video editing.

For a mobo, I went with the Asus Commando. It took awhile to find, but the Commando gave me everything I needed- both in terms of performance, and in expandability. The one thing that annoys the heck out of me about Asus is their website- it simply can't handle the amount of traffic it gets, and parts of it (support, downloads, and forums) are often down.

For the processor, I chose an Intel QX6700 Core 2 Extreme. This was the single-most costly part of the build. For day-to-day use, such as Office apps, the performance gains are ever so slight. However, it really shines when using multi-threaded applications such as Photoshop CS2.

Graphics was another consideration, so I went with the XFX Geforce 8800GTX XXX Edition. I wanted something that was DX10 capable, so my choices were pretty limited. AMD has nothing in their current lineup that can touch this card. The main drawback to this card, besides price, is that it requires two 6-pin PCI-E connections to your PSU. In my case, that took up the last two modular connections on my PSU.

When it came to memory, I used 4GB of Corsair XMS2 Dominator DDR2 800. Like everything else, this was overkill for a typical sytem. 2GB is more than adequate for most.

The rest of my hardware was re-used from the previous build.

To answer your question re: hard drives, yes. My previous build utilized a SATA HDD as C:/ and a IEDE HDD as D:/. In this build, I opted to only use SATA, as my IEDE channel is taken by optical drives.

6. DiverDn

DiverDn Diver Down

naja,

sounds like a killer system. a little to rich for my blood, but nice.

my photo and video are a hobby so I don't have to go that high end.

thanks for the info on the drives.

7. NGWT

NGWT

Processor prices are due to drop near the end of April. If you don't want to wait and would like the most bang for your buck, a Gigabyte DS3 and E6300 are a hard combo to beat. Easily overclocked a few hundred MHz with nothing special, or with some good ram and decent fan cooling you can almost double the speed.

The DS3 can be had for around $125 and the E6300 about $180 or so. RAM prices have dropped as of late but Newegg is playing the rebate game. Rebates of $50 can be had on some good sticks.

An ATI-based X1950Pro card can be had for around $150 or so. Good card for the money. Up the price scale would be the 8800GTS, 7950GX2, X1950XTX and the 8800GTX.

Make sure you chosen power supply can juice the card.

Some vendors (OCW?) are selling the Maxtor 500GB/16MB drive for $135.00. I think NewEgg has them for around $145. They are fine for what you are doing and especially if you don't want to go the Raptor route. For video they would be best but you'd go poor buying enough drive space.

8. DiverDn

DiverDn Diver Down

ngwt,

Thanks for the heads up on the processor prices. I doubt that I can wait that long but it depends on my current system. It might take a crap befor than.

Good suggestions on video cards, the Antec power supply should be able to power it.

CompUSA has the Maxtor on sale this week, I will stop in today and see if they have any.

Anyone else have a favorite motherboard or video card?

9. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

For LG775 procs, I suggest that you can't beat the ABIT AW9D-MAX. Has the 975 chipset, more SATA ports than you can ever use, will accept 2 gig DIMMs and if you're interested in over-clocking, has good facility for such. All the PCI-E slots you need.

ABIT suffered some quality issues in the past, but I took a chance and built up a Core 2 Duo 6400 machine with the AW9D and have no complaints.

I think ABIT is back and I am glad to see them. :thumbsup: