close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

need help please recoil springs

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by glock19master, Feb 10, 2012.

1. glock19master

glock19master

i got a glock 19 3rd gen. i want to replace the plastic guid rod spring with a metal one. i was wonder what others have bought and tried or are currently using.

looking for which one to get i have seen a few differnt ones just dont know what on to go with

any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I'v always used factory units. My Gen2 G19 unit lasted 74,000 rounds.:wavey:

3. pistoleer

pistoleer

I agree I am not buying into that metal guide rod stuff. Although my limited and open glock have metal ones I prefer the factory. I haven't had a problem with one ever. The only reason my cheater guns have metal guide rods is to soak up recoil and to be able to change spring weight depending on my ammunition. If you watch this test the plastic guide rod melts out and the gun continues working [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyZxQfIBXDc"]1000 Round Glock Torture Test Part Two - YouTube[/ame]

4. Glock40man

Glock40man

Stick with "stock".

5. ruslanus

ruslanus

I liked the Ooorah! at the end

6. James Dean

James Dean

You can't go wrong with a stock Glock

7. TMNKWD

TMNKWD

I bought the $30.00 17 pound Stainless Steel Recoil Spring for my Gen 3 G17. The slight additional weight at muzzle end is suppose to decrease flip. It’s 300% heavier. I have only noticed my wallet is $30.00 lighter. Stick with stock and spend the $30.00 for an extended mag well.

8. NailShooter

NailShooter

I own Wolff brand rods and springs and run them in several of my Glocks. I have found that a heavier spring has greatly reduced felt recoil in several models, esp the G20 with heavy loads. They have done nothing but enhance the shooting experience for me without any decrease in reliability thru thousands of rounds.

I run the stock Glock assemblies in my carry piece (G27), and the Wolff rods in certain range/fun guns. Hope that helps.

Nail

9. whitey4311

whitey4311

I run the Wolff rod and springs for 10k rounds now at the USPSA matches and also CCW the same gun with full confidence it is reliable. Maybe I dont need it but its proven itself and I like it so it stays in.

10. Radian

Radian

I run ISMI stuff in my G2 / G3 guns (have in the past) and they run well. The stock part has run very well under IDPA use into the tens of thousands of rounds.

11. rootpass

rootpass

I believe it was posted on GT that after that video, Glock changed the composition of the guide rod to keep it from melting.

12. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

that was before adding the chemical they now use in all "polymer" parts in the gun. Look at your recoil spring if it has the letter "I" it has the new chemical added and will not melt, ever. I would try and tell you the chemical they put in, but i would butcher it horribly, it does start with an I though haha

13. Radian

Radian

Which video, just curious. If the part runs in a G18 machine pistol it should function under normal range / defense use.

14. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

Bingo.

15. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

If I recall correctly the brand name of the plastic used for the guide rod is "zytel" (DuPont). "Zytel" is a family of nylon thermoplastics - of which there are many "zytel" formulations. In the armorer's course (3 years ago) this formulation was specifically named for use for the guide rod and not other components.

16. Z71bill

Z71bill

What problem are you trying to solve?

If it ain't broke don't break it.

17. SCSU74

SCSU74 St. Cloud Proud

That's the one. My bad, thought they added it to all plastic parts in the pistol. Wonder why they use I and not Z

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

18. Deriffe

Deriffe

MY personal experience using a stainless steel recoil spring assembly in my gen3 G21SF has been very positive. I personally noticed a substantial improvement in felt recoil. Purchased mine from Glockmeister.com.

19. pokey074

pokey074 The F.O. Man

Personal preference. I've heard of stock dual spring setups coming apart and causing problems, which is why I use Wolff non-captured setups in any subcompact. The stock setup in my G17 was being contacted and eaten by the back of my suppressor so I switched out to a Wolff non-captured setup. If it wasn't for that, however, I'd still be using a stock RSA on it.

20. ScaryWoody

ScaryWoody

I have a G23 that was a second generation. I had "upgraded" to the steel recoil spring. Took it to Glock to change the frame to a Gen 3 and they took out the steel recoil spring. The stock one is all you need according to them.