Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be picking up my Ruger America chambered in 7.62x39 pretty soon.

I will use it for load development, plinking and training but mostly just for fun. I could possible use it as my deer gun...

I would like to get a Vortex or similar quality scope.

I am fond of fix powered scopes that are 3-5 powered.

Mostly I just like simple.
I was thinking of maybe getting a Primary arms 5X ACSS. That might look pretty weird on a bolt action rifle, however.

I have a Millet tactical DMS 1-4x 24mm scope but that thing is heavy. I could use this if nothing else.

If anyone has a suggestions I would really like to hear it. Rifle comes at the end of the week.

If you offer a suggestion could you please somewhat specific. Which manufacturer and which model or series.

·
Registered
615 Posts
IMO, Vortex is a great way to go.
Clean glass at an affordable price with a lifetime warranty.
Also, if you’re military or LE (active duty, reserve or retired) they give a nice discount too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NRA Life Member
5,808 Posts
Vortex full field II in 2-7 or 3-9; either are around $139 or less

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
IMO, Vortex is a great way to go.
Clean glass at an affordable price with a lifetime warranty.
Also, if you’re military or LE (active duty, reserve or retired) they give a nice discount too.

Any chance you have a specific model in mind?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have high end optics......but....I also have two vortex lower end that are simply phenomenal for the price.

I have a vortex red dot on my ruger 450 bushmaster ranch rifle and it works great for what it is for....heavy hitter in brush...less than 150 yards to target

·
Banned
1,352 Posts
Vortex a solid choice, as is Burris. Burris AR-332 has very good glass, clear as a bell, tri-color selection (black, red, green). Reticle bigger than some like, to the point that at 200 yards, the reticle tends to hide the target.

The AR-332 is 3x fixed, but may be too expensive for what you are looking for.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Any chance you have a specific model in mind?
Comes down to what you want/like
Check out the website, call them and see what they would recommend for your needs
I have a 1-4x with a red dot on one of my AR’s I think it’s a diamondback model. Been a while since I bought a scope

·
Banned
3,351 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Not sure what Vortex offers in a fixed power or what your budget is but a Vortex Diamondback in 3-9x40 would probably work out nicely for you and is usually a couple hundred. If you are willing to spend more a Leupold VX3i in 3.5-10x40 is a great scope and can be had in the $300 or so range.

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
Just my personal experience, but any scope that you can buy new for less than about $750 probably isn't worth the bother of bringing it home.

Reactions: George Kaplan

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Vortex Razors are excellent.
Sightron S111 are another good low cost option.
The Trijicon "Credo" 1-8 is probably one of the very best values for a low power scope.
https://www.kenziesoptics.com/product/trijicon-credo-1-8x28/
I love Vortex scopes, primarily due to their warranty, but also due to their value.
That being said, the Razor line is some serious glass with a matching pricetag. Definitely not for everyone! I have two and they cost over twice what the rifles cost.

·
NRA Life Member
5,808 Posts
Vortex full field II in 2-7 or 3-9; either are around $139 or less
I’ll add to what I said above, I’m also a fan of fixed scopes in 4x or 6x.

these are readily available in Leupold for $300 or so, but they aren’t plentiful from companies like Vortex or Nikon for under $150 like the 3-9’s are. Most people want the variables nowadays.

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
That being said, the Razor line is some serious glass with a matching pricetag. Definitely not for everyone! I have two and they cost over twice what the rifles cost.

Many years ago, a wise man told me that if I had $150 to spend on a rifle, that I should buy a $50 rifle and put a $100 scope on it.

If I had taken that advice, it would have saved me a lot of the money I wasted on "el cheapos
and a lot of grief.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Many years ago, a wise man told me that if I had $150 to spend on a rifle, that I should buy a $50 rifle and put a $100 scope on it.

If I had taken that advice, it would have saved me a lot of the money I wasted on "el cheapos
and a lot of grief.
There are plenty of more than decent scopes sub $500. All of my long range precision rifles have Vortex AMGs but my hunting rifles range from Vortex Diamondback to Leupold VX3s and in between and they are all more than good enough for that role.

·
Banned
3,351 Posts
Old Italian proverb.
"Cheapa u buy, cheapa U get!":D:D

·
Registered
7,531 Posts

and a lot of grief.
30-40 years ago I would’ve agreed with you...However, nowadays there are a lot of rifle scopes for random shooting under $200 that will serve you well out to 300 yds or so... I’ve killed plenty of groundhogs at 200+ yds with budget priced scopes on a decent rifle...Technology Bro, technology!!.. lol...Now my 300 yd+ rifle is a different story...I put more $ in the glass than the rifle cost and glad I did...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts