close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help -- Lyman Turret Press?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by harrison_creek, Mar 4, 2010.

1. harrison_creek

harrison_creek

Kudos to all of you that have posted info in the stickies about what reloading equipment that you recommend. If money was no object I would just go buy the LCT kit and Dillion scales, etc. But since I am on a limited budget and since my kids gave me a $100 gift card for Bass Pro Shops, my choices for reloading are limited. Bass Pro does not handle Lee but they do handle Lyman. I was thinking of getting the Lyman Turret from BP, purchasing the Dillion scale, and picking up the Lee die set, hand auto priming tool, powder funnel, calipers, chamfer tool, case cutter, and primer cleaner from Midway. This should get me into reloading 9mm for $180 out of pocket. My uncle taught me to reload on a single stage years ago and is giving me powder, primers and some other die sets for my rifles.

My question is this, given these circumstances, is the Lyman Turret press a good choice or should I just save some more cash and get the LCT setup? I can use the Bass Pro card for something else.

Thanks for your help.

2. Boxerglocker

Boxerglocker Jacks #1 Fan

I say get the LCT kit from Kempfs with the upgrade it's about $230 shipped to you. Comes with dies, and even enough MTM boxes for 300 rounds. It's ready to load. It's the best turret starter kit by far and great value.
    Use your $100 gift card for either a tumbler and/or scale (RCBS or even the Lyman, are essentially the same scale as the Dillion made by Obaus) and other items you will need, calipers, a hammer puller, manuals, case gauges, media etc.

I'll add you won't need any of the above highlighted in red that I quoted from you to load 9mm with a LCT.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010

3. Colorado4Wheel

Colorado4Wheel

Exactly, use the gift card for something other then the press.

Search their site for "Scale" Tumbler" Dial Calipers"

They have a decent lyman scale, several tumbers and FA dial calipers. You need a scale and Dial Calipers anyway.

4. harrison_creek

harrison_creek

Thanks, I willl take your advice and go with the LCT Kit

5. norton

norton

If you are interested, I have a Lyman turret with 3 heads I will sell you. drop me a PM