close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need help finding a new dog

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by FCastle88, Feb 1, 2010.

1. FCastle88

FCastle88

I had to put my beagle mix down, he was old and could barely walk anymore, and I'm looking to get a new dog. I really want a Doberman, but can't get one at the moment due to my present housing situation. I'm looking for a medium sized dog but it seems like every dog I do research on is either really small or huge. I'm looking for a dog that gets around 15"-20" and 30-50 lbs., is at least somewhat easy to train, is active enough to take jogging/hiking, makes a decent watchdog, and gets along with kids and other dogs. About the only thing I can come up with is one of the larger terriers or a terrier cross, does anybody have any suggestions?

2. nmk

nmk

3. paulbow

paulbow

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  4. RedHaze

RedHaze Handgunner

5. *ASH*

*ASH* FURBANITE

rhodesian ridgeback , i will have one or 2 down the road .

6. edge4628

edge4628

our miniature schnuazer is the biggest small dog i have ever seen. He is in the 15-20lbs range, very active, very smart and easy to train.

The standard schnauzer's are the same way, After spending some time on the AT this summer I cant imagine any type of small dog making it for to long so if hiking is what you are after I would go with the standard just because they are bigger, hiking might be a little easier on their bodies, 30-50 lbs range, but still have a great personality and easy to train.

Our mini gets along with everyone, kids included, other dogs and cats. He can get a bit barky but only when someone comes to the door or someone is close to our apartment that he does not know, which in my opinion is a benefit. He is very alert, and obedient. The best part about him though is his personality, he is like a person in a furry dog suit, lots of emotion ad love and that seems to follow the breed.

Just my $.02.
    Good luck with the purchase and let us know what you decide on.

[​IMG]

Standard pictured above (not ours)

[​IMG]
    our mini as a puppy with my roommates lab mix

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  7. Sharkey

Sharkey

Those are good dogs.

No one has said it yet so I'll say it - Pit Mix.
    We are on our 2nd rescue and the first dog was the best dog me or the wife have ever owned. The second one is 6mo. old but she has been a very good puppy. A bit lazy and stubborn. We are working on it.

8. FCastle88

FCastle88

I like the Blue Lacy and Rhodesian Ridgeback, but they're both bigger than I'm looking for. The reason I can't get a large dog is I'm 21 and pay rent to my parents to live with them, they don't like large dogs and they just got a little fluffball puppy, hence the dog needing to be on the small side. Hopefully I'll be moving out in the next year or so, but I miss having a dog and don't want to wait that long. I did some more research and I thought I struck gold with the German Pinscher, it's basically a miniture version of the Doberman that gets to be about 30 lbs., but from what I've read they tend to be very stubborn and somewhat aggressive, especially with kids and other dogs. What's making my search so hard is that most of the smaller dogs I find seem to have what I like to call small dog syndrome, they tend to be stubborn, hard to train and aggressive.

9. FCastle88

FCastle88

I've always liked pit bulls, especially the Staffordshire Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier, which would meet my size requirements, but I'm not sure how well they would get along with my parents puppy.

10. Glock-it-to-me

Glock-it-to-me Catching liars

Bull Terrier. They are clowns, good with kids, but not to be trifled with.

[​IMG]

11. KinderGlocken

KinderGlocken

My dogs are all rescues but I think schnuazers are cool.

12. nmk

nmk

Then you may want to refine your size criteria in your original post. :supergrin:

From wikipedia:

13. FCastle88

FCastle88

I did a google search and found some other sites that list the size as 18"-25" for males, I'm still kind of considering them, but for the reasons in my other post I have to keep the size under 20"

14. greenman19

greenman19

i wouldn't worry about a breed yet. go to your local shelter and take what they have for a walk. you can judge their temperment for yourself and see how they will do on leash. run with them and bring a ball. the best way to find your ideal dog is to "kick the tires".

15. FCastle88

FCastle88

I really like the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and the American Staffordshire Terrier, I've been doing some reading and they should be okay with the other dog as long as they are socialized when they're young, and they fit my size requirements perfectly. What's holding me back is that it's hard enough to find somewhere to rent that even allows pets at all, much less that would allow you to have a pit bull. I also like the Shiba Inu, but I've heard they can be stubborn and temperamental, and I just don't really like the look of the schnauzers. Any more suggestions, or should I just go with one of the bull terriers?

16. FCastle88

FCastle88

The shelters around here actually have several dogs advertised that I'd be interested in, but I won't adopt from most shelters because of all the crap they put in the adoption contracts.

17. Josh_G17

Josh_G17

I wish I would have given my wife a size rule before she went and got our first dog, she came home with a 25 lb great Dane , she picked him out so I got to name it, glok is my new best friend, good luck finding the right one

18. JohnnyReb

JohnnyReb Lifetime Member

I perfer coonhounds. One, I really enjoy coon hunting. But they also make great pets, and tend to have good temperments.

19. FCastle88

FCastle88

I'm not really interested in another hound, that beagle was the stubbornest dog I've ever met, I know several other people who have beagles and other hounds and none of them are very obedient. My beagle was pretty smart, he figured out how to open doors and he knew the basic commands, he just wouldn't do any of them unless you were holding food, and he was constantly chewing up anything he could get to.

20. FCastle88

FCastle88

I wouldn't mind having a Great Dane, but my girlfriend wants a rottweiler and I want a doberman, so we might get a Rotterman(cross between the two) when I move out, they're pretty much a bulkier doberman.