Need help finding 7.62x39 for indoor range

Discussion in 'Caliber Corner' started by Jade Falcon, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Hi folks.

There's a new indoor range that opened a couple months back near me that I want to join. I would like to take my AK-47 there to shoot once in a while, but in their rules, they say:

Source: http://www.shootatsafefire.com/range-faq/

This means my 172 rounds of Silver Bear FMJ is out of the question.

So...is there ammo that I can buy that won't cost an arm and a leg that I can shoot at this range?

PLEASE NOTE: I DO NOT RELOAD, NOR DO I HAVE ANY INTENTIONS OF RELOADING. I live in a one-bedroom apartment with NO space for reloading equipment or supplies, nor do I care to buy reloading equipment when I could spend that money on other more immediate things (like ammo that's ready to shoot). That may change in the future, but I am NOT getting into it right now. So please don't suggest it. It's just not practical for me at this time. I don't shoot enough to justify reloading, nor do I have the space.

I preferably don't want to spend more than $170 for 500 rounds.

Thanks folks!

2. rattlegun

rattlegun

For factory ammo that contains no steel but only brass and copper I use both PMC and http://ammoimporters.com/

I also reload so that keeps my options open but the way an AK ejects brass unless a brass catcher is used plan on saying goodbye to it.

3. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Thanks, but is there anything cheaper than that? $230/400 rounds is not what I was hoping for.

Is it the lead that raises the price, or the brass casings? If it's the brass, then is there steel cased ammunition that has lead bullets?

4. Kalmah

Kalmah Supreme Member

Jade Falcon likes this.
  5. yz9890

yz9890

That stinks. Most indoor ranges I've been to have similar restrictions. Last one I went to said my ammo was steel core and was uninterested in discussing the difference between the jacket and the core. I'm never surprised though and I always have other ammo or guns to shoot. Their range and their rules.

To be fair though, some of the ranges I go to say they prohibit the ammo due to reliability reasons of some of the import ammo and not due to the steel. They don't want people trying to pry steel cases on the line or sending chasers up the back of a squib. I've never seen any of that happen in any of the zillion rounds of surplus ammo I've shot but I guess it happens.

Jade Falcon likes this.
  6. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Thanks for the links! That Red Army stuff is exactly the type of stuff I was looking for. The Yugo Milsurp I'll pass on, because I make it a strict policy not to shoot any corrosive ammunition in my guns. Unfortunately, I'm lazy when it comes to cleaning them. Not proud of it, so anything I can do to minimize problems with cleaning is a plus.

7. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Winchester and Lapua might be options.

Also, you might show them a box of your ammo and ask if it's OK.

8. Wishoot

Wishoot

That's too bad. The surplus Yugo ammo is great stuff at a decent price.

Nucflash likes this.
  9. SCmasterblaster

SCmasterblaster G17 carrier since 1989 Millennium Member

I'd find an outdoor range.

10. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

There is one, but you HAVE to bench the gun, you can't stand. The only place you can stand to shoot is on the pistol range. Both rifle ranges are bench only. And it's a PITA.

It also rains here 9 months out of the year.

11. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Make sure that it's Red Army Standard "Elite". That's the brass cased, brass jacketed ammo. It's also about $0.50/round instead of $0.25/round. Still cheaper than the $1.00/round American made ammo.

12. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Why? I don't reload, nor do I have the space to do it.

13. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Because usually it's pretty tough to find brass jacket/steel case 7.62x39 ammo.

Other than the Yugo surplus corrosive ammo and American made ammo with brass jacket and brass case, I can't remember seeing brass jacketed/steel case ammo anywhere.

Some indoors range don't even allow steel case/aluminum case ammo at all because they don't want to sort out the steel/aluminum cases before they sell the whole shebang off to a copper brass purchaser.

And then there's this ammo from Hornady. At nearly a buck a cartridge, it ain't cheap but it is steel case, brass jacketed bullet. Fancy bullet though. Not exactly plinker ammo.

http://www.hornady.com/store/7.62X39-123-gr-SST/

14. Jade Falcon

Jade Falcon Rational

Huh, sounds like I'm going to have to ask them if they allow Steel Case ammunition.

Thanks for that link, but like hell if I'm paying that much to plink with. If I was hunting pig with this gun, I'd use it. But not for shooting paper with.

15. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Try to find someone who knows the difference between steel case ammo and steel core ammo.
    :uglylol:

Jade Falcon likes this.