Need help dealing with Mall Ninja childhood friend

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by BailRecoveryAgent, Oct 22, 2010.

1. BailRecoveryAgent

BailRecoveryAgent Rude Member

Just like the title says, he and I have been friends since we were old enough to play together, parents were next door neighbors before either of us were born. We don't see each other often, mostly when the wife and I are at the mall to see a movie or when I am tagging along with her shopping. When we have hung out in the past, it became apparent that his job as mall security has him believing that he has some sort of duty to uphold to the community. He is a lot like Seth Rogens character in "Observe and Report." We went for coffee at starbucks a while back and he told me he wanted to pay. When he went for his wallet, he made it obvious to everyone around him that he had a badge on his belt when he lifted his shirt to remove the wallet. He keeps telling me that he wants to come with me on my next bail jumping case even though he isn't licensed and I can't legally take him along, he thinks his "authority" allows him to do so. His company also does the security at a power plant where he picks up weekend shifts once in a while and tells people he has "security clearance" which is nothing more than an FBI background check.

How do I tell him that this is only hurting him and won't help him get a job as a cop in the future? He doesn't live in him moms basement like most Mall Ninjas do, he has his own place and a wife and kid and is pretty responsible financially. We are not super close friends anymore but I care enough about him to try to let him know without shattering his dreams that he is only a security guard and not protector of the free world.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give some background on him and his situation.

2. alexanderg23

alexanderg23

send him a link to this tread

3. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

I say you just get some you tube videos of him in action and just roll with it.

You never really change the way people are.

4. Pender1

Pender1

^^what he said.

some people just have an inflated idea of how important they are. There's really nothing you can do about it. Arguing with some people is about as constructive as banging your head against a wall.

5. BailRecoveryAgent

Sad thing is, he doesn't fit the mold of most mall ninjas. This is the only area of his life where he seems to be irrational in his thinking. I did tell him that carrying a badge like that can be viewed as impersonating a leo, and that I never carry mine unless I'm working because I'm not law enforcement and have no le authority. He just kinda shrugged it off.:dunno:

6. Rabbi

Rabbi The Bombdiggity Lifetime Member

I dont understand the problem? He is a dork? Thats all you have on him.

He is employed, has a family, his own place and is responsible. So what if he is pretty proud of what he does or it makes him feel important.

...and what is "hurting" his chances of being a cop?

7. 814

How dare you bring logic into this!

Take me to bed or loose me forever big daddy!
    (inserting a random top gun quote makes the world go round)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  8. SMOKEin

SMOKEin

Sounds like your looking into this too deep. Live and let live. Some days I think I'm a pro bass fisherman, don't need my friends shooting me down.

9. syntaxerrorsix

syntaxerrorsix Anti-Federalist CLM

10. Batesmotel

Batesmotel

I have a friend who has worked security for about 25 years. He has worked everything from high security (Gvt. installations, chemical plants) to empty parking lots. He has seen the mall ninja types come and go. Once they have that attitude there is no changing it. To him it is just a job, secure the assigned area, call in problems. To some they have the delusion that it is a stepping stone to L.E., CIA, Delta or some other alphabet agency. The fantasy is so strong that nothing will dissuade them from pursuing it in their mind.

11. Adjuster

Adjuster

Is it possible he is only trying to impress you? Maybe he looks up to you or believes your job is impressive enough that he wants to try and fit in or feel as important. So far I don't think he has gotten too far outta whack. As long as his home life is pretty normal let him have his day in the sun.

12. johnd

johnd

Leave him be.
    Some cops are more gung ho than they need to be too. It might help them get through the Academy but they soon burn out or get fired in FT or get a clue and become normal once they get on the streets. Be thankful your friend is at that Mall and all gung ho to intervene on your behalf.

13. RF7126

RF7126

It was for me, and a lot of co-workers of mine. Having said that, and having worked in mall security the OP can tell his friend that his friend is being a tool. I despise people like that. If they need to take action at work, fine, people don't believe it but sometimes that goes with the job. Pretending one is an LEO (even indirectly) is asinine and I have no respect for those. They make us all look bad.

14. 075vrAHwA

075vrAHwA

No offense guy, but real cops and such probably look at you the same way.

15. BailRecoveryAgent

He has already had interviews with police depts and has been told by them that security guard work isn't considered having a leg up on someone that doesn't have security experience. There is much more than what I included in the thread opener, like having a few complaints against him for following people after they leave the mall that he thinks are up to no good. Since those incidents, he hasn't had one interview with a police dept of any kind, including the local tribal police that is easier to qualify for. As soon as they contact his current employer and they learn of the harrassment complaints, I'm sure that is last of their consideration of hiring him and sending him to the academy.

Theres nothing wrong with taking pride in any job you do, or feeling important about it. But there is something wrong with turning it into something it isn't, and hurting yourself in the process. Like I said, I care about the guy and don't want to see him ruin his chances at a leo career or get into legal trouble if anybody ever goes to the police instead of the security company he works for to press charges. I'm not trying to give him a reality check to hurt his feelings or anything like that, I just think he is going to hurt himself in the long run.

16. RF7126

RF7126

"There's always a bigger fish." Cops treat security like that, Feds often treat cops like that, and special forces probably have the right to look at everyone that way. :supergrin:

17. RF7126

RF7126

As other posters have said, it's hard to change that attitude. Sometimes it changes after they get their a**es handed to them...sometimes it never changes and they spend 15 years working security.

18. Roering

Roering Sorting nuts

Has he started wearing body armor and carrying 2 cans of OC spray?

My Nephew does.

19. airmotive

airmotive Tin Kicker

Sounds like TSA material.

20. BailRecoveryAgent

Not any of the ones I've dealt with so far. I don't wear a tactical vest or drop leg radio holster like they do on tv. I take my job for what it is and nothing else. I don't carry my badge when I'm not working and when I am, I wear everyday clothes and don't pretend to be something I'm not. I occasionally deal with cops and a few have told me that they wish other recovery agents conducted themeselves like I do. Only my friends and family know what I do, and prefer to keep it that way. I go out of my way to keep what I do private, that is why I've never given my name on here and don't even list where I live.