close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Need Help Choosing First Bike

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by hotrodtba, Jun 7, 2006.

1. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

I am looking to get my first street bike, and wanted everybody's input on the bikes I am thinking about. I am 6'2" and 230lbs. I have owned dirt bikes and sport ATV's, so I have some experience, but I know a road bike is a whole 'nother animal. The bike will mainly be just a toy to putt around on and cruise. Some riding to work, which is only 7 miles, half through town and the rest on a two lane highway.

Here are the models I am thinking would make a nice first bike. They are listed pretty much in order of preference based on looks.

1) Yamaha YZF600R
    2) Kawasaki Ninja 500
    3) Suzuki GS500E or F
    4) Suzuki SV650S

I really like the looks of a sportbike, but I am afraid the power will be too much. I've been told and have read that the YZF600R is a good compromise because it is styled like a sportbike, but the motor is detuned a little, and the riding position is not as hunched over as an R6. Also that it handles much better and is a little more forgiving than a full out sportbike.

I am afraid that the 250 bikes will be too small for me, based on my size and weight. Let me know what you think on the idea, and if my thinking is way off for some reason. Thanks.:)

2. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

Lose both the 500's as well. They are dinosaurs and you will be regreting it 6 months down the road. Carbureted, crappy brakes, just cheaply put together. Don't waste your money.

Look at the new Kawasaki Ninja 650R as well. A friend just bought one and it's a VERY well put together bike. Not too powerful, but quick enough to get out of the way of an errant cager and nimble as hell.

Another option if you are looking along the lines of the YZF are the Honda CBR F4i and Kawasaki ZZR 600.

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

What he said.

The 500s make good starter bikes for beginners but since that you're not a beginner, you don't need to start on them.

4. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

Do you think something like the YZF600R or a late 90's CBR600F3 would be too much for a first bike? I really like the sportbikes, but I am afraid they will be too much. I like that the YZF looks a lot like an R6, but is detuned a little, and has a little more upright seating position. Would the older CBR F3's compare to that, or are they more of full out race bike?

The SV650S seems like it would be a nice bike, buy I just can't get used to the look of them.

Buy the way, I am looking for a used bike, something around $3000-$3500.

5. GixxerSixxer

GixxerSixxer Phil Deez Nutz

The CBRF3 or YZF600R wouldn't be too much bike. The YZF may be more toward your liking. The seating position is more upright. The SV650 is an awesome choice but I think it's probably out of your price range.

Insurance wise the CBRF3 should be less. If you're over 25 and don't have tickets though either bike will be cheaper for you than it would be for me.

There is also the Yamaha FZ6 previous models were the FZR6 IIRC they are like a naked YZF600R. Those should be cheaper than the YZF600R since they won't have all the plastic.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

For used bike in the 600-cc range, don't forget to check out the Honda Hornet as well.

See if you can go and start test riding them to see what you like best.

7. Compy

Compy CompensateWhat?

Absolutly not. You have the wind the crap out of 600's to get any power out of them. Keep the revs low for the first thousand miles or so until you get used to the bike and everything becomes so natural you don't even think about it. After you feel comfortable, let her rip!

It's only going to go as fast as you tell it to. Have some self-control and you will grow into the bike just fine.

8. BCM

BCM

Remember the bike is only as fast as you twist it. You might need some time to appreciate the SV, its 2 cylinders,(cheaper on fuel and maintenance) very controlable power, but there if you want it, you will find used ones in the $3000-$3500 range all day as a lot of SV650 owners are trading up to the SV1000. You can also put full race plastic on it like I have on mine.

9. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

Thanks for everybody's input. I am taking it all in.

Also, these are not the only bikes I will consider. If somebody has something else they would like to suggest, and have reasons to back it up, I will listen.

10. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

My KZ 550 does great around town, and sounds cool. I took it on the highway today cruising about 55-60 mph and it cruised around 5000-5100 rpm. I don't know if that's pretty much average or what for that speed for a five speed bike. It did fine. It weighs around 425-450 lbs. and can get blown around a bit at high speeds. It's definately not a touring bike.

I'd go for the more powerful bike, maybe 650-750cc. I'm not a sport bike person due to the posture, but I'd think that things like weight and power are pretty much the same regardless.

By the way, my KZ has 55mph in red on the spedo, so I can't exceed that speed at all costs. I also press a button every 180 minutes to save all of you.

11. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Avoid the GS500's at all costs. I purchased one last year (a new leftover '04 GS500F) for my wife to learn on. What a piece of crap. So cold blooded you had to start the thing 20 minutes before you wanted to ride it and the thing shouldn't even be freeway legal. Thing would sputter trying to get into traffic even once you thought it should be warm enough and shot my wifes confidence down the tubes. Dropped it a few times trying to pull out and not having enough juice.

She was happy the day we bought it and even happier the day we traded it in (even though we got shafted on it). Much happier with the SV650S, more than enough power, FI, low maint and good mileage. Valves only adjusted every 15K. I like that part!

12. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

Nevermind, deal did not pan out.

13. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

That looks like a cool bike, I like the paint job. I'm making the assumption that it didn't come in that paint set up. I'd ask about any mods and why the low miles, and why the paint job, was it wrecked and sat for a while? I'm not against low miles, but that's REALLY low for its age (188 miles/year). Not using a motor can cause it's own problems with age, even for a Honda. I bought my 81 KZ with 6800 miles, it AT LEAST! had 283 miles/year...Boy that shoots that theory...I hate math.

Anyway, Just make sure you ask questions about the history of the bike, same as a used car. Another question, have you tried out sportbikes to see if the posture is for you?

14. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

I have sat on a few, and I don't mind it. Plus, I won't be doing any long commutes or anything, just a toy to cruise around town on.

And yes I plan on finding out more about its history. No that is not the original paint. The only mods are the slip on, and some carbon fiber stuff. Everything else is stock.

15. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

16. hotrodtba

hotrodtba Jr. Ammo Whore

Well, I chickened out and didn't get a sportbike for my first bike. I found this at a local dealer. 1983 Yamaha Virago 500. 11,XXX miles, all stock. I think even the back tire is still original, but it will need replaced probably at the end of the season. Runs great, and I am getting about 50 MPG with it. Paid less than a grand for it, which in my area anything older that is in half-way decent shape brings at least $1250.

My plan is to ride it all season, then this fall or early next spring get my sportbike. I just felt more comfortable starting on this than going straight to a sportbike. Definatly not a chick magnet, but I am married and not looking, so it works out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

As long as it runs well and you enjoying yourself, who cares what it is.

18. MStarmer

MStarmer In Jail...

Ride the rubber off that thing! I feel guilty now when I drive my car. :supergrin:

19. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

I don't feel guilty when I drive my car. I feel detached and frustrated.

20. wrenrj1

wrenrj1

Nice looking bike! I'd change out that rear tire if it's original however. My 1981 came the same way with original skins. Besides safety, you'll notice a difference for the better in handling.

Also, go thru it, change the air filter, oil filter, and plugs. I'd suggest synthetic oil as well, and adjust the chain, clutch etc.

The late 70's and 80's bikes are truly fun to tinker with.

You'll get your money out of her. I already have with mine.